Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area of Not Placed Rooms does not calculate correctly in Calculated Value in Schedule

Area of Not Placed Rooms does not calculate correctly in Calculated Value in Schedule

We created a program reconciliation room schedule where we add rooms to the schedule using 'Insert Data Row' to enter the entire program into the project before placing rooms.  We've added a shared parameter for 'Target SF' so we can do calculations to compare the actual SF of a placed room against the required target SF as defined in the program. As we work through placing rooms, the schedule informs us (with conditional formatting to turn the cells red) when the actual SF is over or under the target SF by more than 10%.  The problem is that if a room is unplaced, it's area is 0 SF but for some reason that does not result in a negative value after the formula subtracts the target SF from the actual SF:

BethanyPritchard_0-1612880679053.jpeg

BethanyPritchard_1-1612880822414.png

8 Comments
lukekvasnicka
Enthusiast

I haven't run into this scenario before but it might be that an unplaced room actually has a 'null' value instead of a zero value and for that reason, Revit cannot perform operations with it.

It's not really an elegant solution but could you modify the formula to contain an IF statement?  So the calculated value formula for SF Over/Under would be:

IF(Area=0, TargetSF*-1, Area-Target SF)

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

The only way I could get it to work was to place a "room" that was at the bare minimum (8"x8") so that when rounding the SF ended up being 0 in the schedule. Of course this isn't ideal for your scenario. This is an intriguing Idea!

BethanyPritchard
Enthusiast

@lukekvasnicka  thank you for the suggestion.  Unfortunately it did not work.

We had also tried        if(Area > 0 SF, (Area - TargetSF), (0 SF - TargetSF))        and it also did not work.

@kimberly.fuhrman I hope this idea will gain support and be something Autodesk will change in Revit because I do think it would be a useful tool for others as well.

GlynnisVP
Advocate

As a workaround, perhaps you could filter those unplaced rooms out? Using a level-based filter as shown here should work. Level is "at or above" the lowest level (Level 1).

GlynnisVP_0-1613668286446.png

BethanyBIM
Explorer

the problem is we want those unplaced rooms included so we know when we have not met the program requirements.  We're trying to get a calculation that shows how far below the required square footage we are and since the unplaced rooms can't give us a calculation resulting in a negative number we don't see where we're falling short on the program for those unplaced rooms.

BethanyPritchard
Enthusiast

The problem is we want those unplaced rooms included so we know when we have not met the program requirements.  We're trying to get a calculation that shows how far below the required square footage we are and since the unplaced rooms can't give us a calculation resulting in a negative number we don't see where we're falling short on the program for those unplaced rooms.

curtisridenour
Collaborator

I made a potential workaround @BethanyPritchard . Hopefully this can help you in the mean time.

curtisridenour_0-1708471941475.png

BethanyPritchard
Enthusiast

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report