Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tag Legend Components

Tag Legend Components

This has to be the biggest overlooked development opportunity in Revit so far regarding architects at least.
And specifically door/window drawings.

Archicad seems less typebased and thus slightly better in earlier phases of a project.
As the project develops Revit pulls comfortably ahead expect on one thing.
Revit has a great type system but cannot document the types properly.

Looking at this very rationally and professionally, during the last 10 years, deciding not develop the ability to document types is just an error of jugdement. Simple as that.
You have Assemblies but those are unusable for Door/Window drawings for a number of reasons.
(One being they disappear when the last instance is removed)

Legend components is the logical choice but you cannot tag the information they have.

So the core of the issue is to create type drawings incl type data.

Seems so obvious right ?

Except using Revit you cannot do it.

Archicad can do it and is very very good at it.

Putting a normal Door tag on a Door component in a legend view seems to be one logical path forward.

Creating Assemblies directly from a type (no instance involved) could also do it i suppose.

But seriously come on, something needs to happen here.

100 Comments
graham.edgar
Explorer

It is absolutely pathetic that Revit allows us to drop a picture of each wall type into a legend view, but then doesn't allow us to tag them so as to identify which is which.

What is the purpose of a legend in which you can't identify the types listed there?!  Seriously, is there any circumstances where it is useful to have a legend with pictures of wall types but no actual identification of each type?

Enable tags in legends - if its not there by 2018 release I'm switching to Archicad.

Tags (1)
WM_Ron_Allen
Collaborator

And ability to dimensions to legend elements (I.e. cannot dimension a wall section's layers )

*You can use material tags as a workaround for some of these issues - for some reason those work.

JanUsinger
Enthusiast

Upvote!

This is especially annoying for door/ window schedules.

arek_keshishian
Advocate
enough said I think.
Tags (3)
Clarke_Symetri
Enthusiast

Is there any way we can combine all "legends" ideas into one? Off the top of my head, these are the improvements I'd like to see with legends:

rotate legend components

tag legend components

override the visibility/graphics of legend components, by element and category

Linework override

Insert legends into other projects

ntanner
Contributor

It would be helpful to be able to tag a legend symbol or dimension items placed in a legend.

Tags (3)
kt4000
Explorer

And section views for legend component!

nickYM4B9
Enthusiast

Revit Legends are completely unusable in their current state.  Placing "Dumb" drafting components on a sheet that don't allow dimensioning, linework, tagging, or any editing whatsoever is contrary to everything BIM is trying to move towards.

In our office we create special phases, sections, elevations, and plans for all of our legend components.  Thereby placing the actual 3D components into the views and having all the customization of a regular 3D component.  Especially the ability to tag and propagate through the whole model any edits to the parameters of the specific element.  

It works well enough, but that doesn't change the fact that it's one of the dumbest work-arounds to something that should be inherently intelligent and usable in Revit.

jason.barish
Contributor

This would be an excellent improvement, and a major improvement to every revit users' workflow. 

What everyone ends up doing is just putting 2d dumbtext on their legends - which is, frankly, creates a possibility for errors and change orders... 

IMHO - anything that is a Type Parameter should be taggable in a legend. That's all we need.

( I've seen some crazy 'workarounds' people have come up with to remedy this lack of obvious functionality in Revit. I've seen people put 3d model text in their families, just so the text shows up in the Legend view.)

kill_action2
Participant

I'm switching too. (to Archicad)

Its lost of time to symbols to Legends instead of tag and symbols not update when revised

Kevin.Bell
Advisor

You can't tag a family when placed in a legend - you have to use text.

Tags should work in Legends as with any other view.

dennis_collin
Advocate

Absolutely, agreed.

Revit knows the name of the component in properties so it should be an easy thing to implement you'd think.

Yes I agree with this too.

Hazem.Elamir
Advocate

we need to tag and keynoting items inside any legend or detail view

its against BIM to type data on legend as text , when some thing change in the family , its not modified in the legend it self

Kimtaurus
Advisor

I found a work-around using dynamo https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/tagging-a-legend-in-revit/5444/6

It is amazing how little code is required to implement this, AutoDesk should fire a strategist and hire a coder to work on little stuff like this, they could knock out implementation of ideas like this at a rate of a couple a week (including setting up unit tests) and end up with annual releases that we look forward to rather than have to buy only because we're on subscription and can't save down.

Also I was able to extend the original idea to aggregate data from all instances and their hosts so I can tag my doors and windows on a legend sheet with a list of fire ratings of the walls they are in.

Hazem.Elamir
Advocate

yes, thanks for your notice

but its really very big request , I don't know why autodesk not implementing that

I think we all have to stress in this similar ideas

thanks

r.evers
Explorer

Lets make it possible to tag an Legend Component in Revit.

Now the Text is dumb and not connected on a legend component

Tags (3)
pieter5
Advisor
abowman
Observer

In order to make the Legend Tool useful it needs to be able to host Section views, specifically for Door and Window detail callouts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report