Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow "Field Format" to provide access to other parameters

Allow "Field Format" to provide access to other parameters

Currently in schedules parameters of type "Material" and "Family Type" only display the name.  Once added to a schedule those parameters should be able to be selected in the the format tab and the "Field Format" selected.  There other parameters for the material/family that are scheduled could be selected.  This would allow greater flexibility in schedules and reduce the number of redundant, dumb text parameters needed to convey information.  Ideally this would work for tags too (replace the modify units button with a field format, doing both unit adjustment and parameter selection).

Examples:

• A door schedule needs to show the material description.  By default when added to the schedule the material name "08-Door Frame-Hollow Metal" is displayed.  Clicking on field format brings up a list of available material parameters.  Select "Description" (or "Material: Description" to be consistent) and the field would then display the material description of "HM" instead of the material name.
  • A door schedule needs to show the frame type.  The frame is a nested family.  By default when added to schedule the Frame Type (Family Type: Doors) parameter displays the family name of "08-Frame-HM-F1". Clicking on the field format brings up a list of available parameters to door families.  Select "Type Mark" and the field would then display the chosen door's type mark of "F1" instead of the material name.  If the frame type is changed to F2 the cell would update correctly.  If the type mark is changed to F01 it would update.  

An alternate, and probably easier way, to implement this request: Parent family to read and report nested family type parameters

5 Comments
lionel.kai
Advisor

FYI, there's already similar functionality for Structural Framing and Structural Column schedules - choose fields from Structural Material, then Structural Material: Description and other fields are available. Hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to add this functionality to schedules for Doors, Windows, and other? categories that you may need.

jkidder
Collaborator

I'd like something more granular than just what is offered by structural column schedules.  For example, if I customized my columns to have an instance material painted onto the surface of the steel I might want to schedule that finish paint in the same row as the structural material.  The same goes for doors - I don't want to show one material parameter, I want to show 3 (frame, glass and panel) all in one row, along with information for the door.

jkidder
Collaborator

If this was implemented it would also be helpful to add a field multiple times.  For example, with the nested door frames I want to report their type mark and their material, and the same for their panels. 

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report