Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow Multiple Leaders for Keynotes

Allow Multiple Leaders for Keynotes

Keynotes of the Material and Element type should allow multiple leader lines.  Right now if I only want to annotate GWB (as an example) once on wall sections, details, or elevations, I must add a text object with a period then add leaders from it pointing to the additional instances.  

There's no reason I should have to place this blank leader or two separate GWB notes on a section/ elevation/ detail if the material occurs more than once. A leader from 

For review/ accuracy If the leader touches multiple materials/ elements it would return a "?" the same as a tag touching an undefined item.

19 Comments
payam.rad
Advocate

kEYNOTE.JPG

JMounteer
Enthusiast

That appears to be a Tag, not a Keynote object. If I want to utilize the Keynoting system you must do as above, or create multiple keynotes over top of each other. This is inefficient as you can not move both at the same time without then having to rehost the leader.

cgaither
Enthusiast

In many applications, it is useful for a keynote to have multiple leaders, in particular material keynotes. Two walls close to each other painted the same color, a countertop and backsplash made of the same stone, cabinets with the same laminate. Ductwork pieces, conduits, pipes, etc. The current fix is to stack the keynotes and in some cases the first segment of the leader on top of each other, or to use the leader as a sort of continuity indicator across adjoining elements.

It would also be nice to have some depth in the keynote file. Color, finish type, manufacturer, and other information should be available in the legend, and therefore should be considered in the keynote file.

jason.quarry
Advocate

I too support this heavily. The ability to add an additional arrow would keep me from having to duplicate keynotes and align them on top of each other. I do understand the nature of keynotes and can see why it might not be a good idea however I see no harm in having the additional arrow act as a user keynote when used on an element keynote.

cgaither
Enthusiast

The nature of keynotes is kind of limiting, but all it would take is a boolean check to ensure that the two objects shared the same material. Revit does that anyway when you select the object. Perhaps use the same command and if the command selects a keynote tag it converts the selection filter to ONLY objects to which that keynote could be accurately assigned. Probably not saying that right, but I'm on my way to a meeting about another piece of software and have a lot of wires crossing in my head right now...

tomek
Collaborator

Keynotes and text notes need to be united. There ought to be one way to formatting and presenting all textual information. As it stands keynotes are handled very differently from text notes and cannot be formatted in the same way. This is frustrating as it is not a technical problem that is difficult to overcome.

It feels to me like the next big release of Revit should concentrate not on any new features but refining and consolidating existing functionality. Let's iron out all the quirks, standardise, streamline and refine.

cgaither
Enthusiast

Well Revit is just one big pile of quirks. In order to iron it out, you'd have to completely reverse it's operating philosophy and have the model drive the database instead of the database drive the model, which would no doubt result in schema, input, correlation and retrieval errors in the database. This is because many things in Revit are driven by replacement protocols (such as tags) where Revit just replaces values in existing families, meaning that it cannot generate new hierarchies and relationships on its own. This limitation means that it will never be able to simply know what the user intends and therefore must compartmentalize in order to avoid misplaced or miscalled variables/fields/methods/exceptions. It's a programming nightmare to get a graphic representation of a database to actually respond to the graphics it itself generates.

andrewrider
Advocate

I can't believe this is not an option in Revit yet!? Please Autodesk make this happen in the next release! 

sjfountain
Contributor

Provide the ability to add more than 1 leader to a placed keynote. 
The additional leaders should be 'free', meaning the additional leader shouldn't need to touch another instance of the element originally keynoted.

Without this, flexibility in using keynotes in a customized manner is greatly reduced.  It should work the same way adding leaders to text works, the only difference being, the first leader placed needs to touch the element keynoted.  Once the keynote is placed, the option to add leaders would be available.

J.Wehmer
Collaborator

Since the 'User Keynote' is a different beast than the rest of the Keynotes (Material, Element) at least have the multi-leader functionality in that keynote.

For the Material & element, it makes sense to suppress that function as they are talking to single individual elements.

This has been open since ‎12-15-2016, and we are really needing this function Autodesk!

payam.rad
Advocate
Don't forget to Vote up this post then!!

Rusty_Gesner
Enthusiast

This should be for all keynote types, Element, Material and User, and should be implemented in the same manner as we can now add additional leaders to text notes.

How hard can that be?

adrianam7TNNS
Explorer

I too support this idea!

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

We are pleased to say that this has been implemented in Revit 2022. Note that the AKN article references Tags, however this also applies to Keynotes.

Multi-leader Tags (What's New in 2022) | Revit Products 2022 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

-The Factory

JMounteer
Enthusiast

Quite happy to have lent a hand and am pleased with the results. Went further than my initial thoughts! Nicely done, folks! 

kkerstiensW8LRA
Observer

It says above that it was also implemented for Element Keynotes but I cant get it to work properly.  It works on Multi-category but from what I can tell does not work on Keynotes.   Any help would be appreciated.

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

@kkerstiensW8LRA , when you place the element keynote, make sure the Add/Remove Host button is toggled on (blue) before you place the keynote. You should then be able to select multiple objects with additional leaders. (Just don't cross-reference the keynote I chose for this example...I just picked one! 🙂 )

keynote.PNG

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Tarek_K
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report