Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow grouping of rooms for occupancy calculations

Allow grouping of rooms for occupancy calculations

We would like to use rooms as the basis of occupancy calculations.  However, many occupancy calculations are based on the cumulative gross square footage.  That gross square footage might span across a suite of rooms (i.e., a suite of offices under the business areas occupancy).  If we had the ability to group rooms and reference that group as a 'super room' , we would be able to run our occupancy and fixture count calculations live from the revit model.  

Our current workaround is to run calculations on areas in an area plan.  The problem with this workaround is that area boundaries do not update with changes in the floor plan. We do not lock the sketch lines to maintain model efficiency.  The 'super room' should maintain its cumulative boundary as the plan changes.

12 Comments
dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

With a little twaeking, this same concept might  be able to be used for "sub-rooms."

Prime example: when there is one large open office Room sub-divided into user cubicles.

Or another that keeps us from being able to use Rooms as Egress Paths in our Code Plans: a Corridor may have alcoves that are part of the Room, but cannpt be path of the Egress Path, or a Lobby might have a Reception Desk - again, part of the Room but noty eligible as Egress.

Anonymous
Not applicable

zones for room in architecture

WM_Ron_Allen
Collaborator

Shared parameter for 'ZONE' or Built in 'Department'- would that work?

Anonymous
Not applicable

A zoning function for Rooms like it is in autocad architecture. This will be useful when you have more than one apartment on a floor. Rooms belonging to a particular apartment can be grouped together and the total floor area can be extracted und used for Tags.

Tags (2)
troels.olsen
Enthusiast

Hi Ron,

We use those parameters already. But does not have the true definition of a zone with parameters, that will always be a bending of the relationship we need to apply.

http://www.buildingsmart-tech.org/ifc/IFC4/Add1/html/schema/ifcproductextension/lexical/ifczone.htm

Meelis123
Enthusiast

Spaces can be grouped as zones, Rooms can not. Why?

Guess what? Architects have several types of zones - apartments, evacuation area, etc

While it's true, you can schedule almost every parameter, the fact is, you cannot tag a department AND it's area on a view. You have to create a "tag" out of schedule by filtering everything and hiding columns and lines so that only two cells remain - department and summarized area. You have to repeat that for every department/room group. Now you have to drag them to your sheets and their location is completely manual. You change your plan, you have these "tags" in the wrong location. You change names, add some more, delete some and you have a complete mess.

Some parameters are completely zone-based. For example, I have to tell local authorities how many bedrooms are in an apartment. In order to keep my apartment data correct I have to insert a value to my bathroom that it belongs to the "3 bedroom apartment", so that I could have a total area of 3 bedroom apartments. That's just utterly stupid. I make a mistake, some bathroom or toilet is left unnoticed and I get wrong totals. Some of it I can solve with key schedules though. But it's extra work and hard to explain to a new team member.

Any of this would not be needed if you would have zone tool for rooms.

Tags (3)
dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

This Idea would also eliminate a lot of the limitations (and misuse of) Area Plans if we could create a Color Scheme based on Zones

Anonymous
Not applicable

This would be so, so helpful for multi-family projects!

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is necessary to create the opportunity to combine the rooms into groups with the possibility to receive data from specifications and marks about all the elements of the group. So you can combine several rooms in an apartment and get the total area of ​​incoming premises in the mark, as well as create a specification of apartments and the composition of premises. This is applicable for offices, hospitals and other buildings where rooms are classified and grouped. Logic work with the current premises with the addition of their own parameters is not enough, there is no possibility of obtaining a single mark.

19-1.jpg

troels.olsen
Enthusiast

Ran into this again yesterday.

The client describe a program, with zone areas [net planned work area - 3000 m2, net planned meeting area - 1000 m2, etc.].

We design the project and want to show the current net zone areas. The problem is, that in Revit they are based pr. room, so to allow us to have the program/current calculation, we have to either split the programmed area across rooms or write the total program area, into one room. Neither is satisfactory, as there is a hi chance of errors and misunderstandings.

This would be solved, if we could link a room (or area) to a zone, and in this example, that zone would hold the programmed areas from the client.

breta.bishop
Explorer

As  ronAllen_KTGY_COM Advocate stated creating a shared parameter to then color code the groups by, which you could then filter in a schedule to get the total area has worked.  I've created occupancy plans for allocation purposes using this method.   Each room tag has name, department name, room number and I then created a Color Scheme for the Rooms based on Department names.  If you create a schedule with Department names as a parameter and sort based upon "department" it will add the total area for each department/color/apartment if you are doing a multi-family residence.

alix-hs
Enthusiast

It would be very usefull to have groups for rooms so we can label them to display infos such as total aera of all the rooms of the group, like the HVAC tool which allows to group spaces and have a label.

And this without using areabook and dynamo, which have disadventages and take time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report