Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow elements to be linked to multiple design option sets.

Allow elements to be linked to multiple design option sets.

We're facing an issue in a current project where a couple of design option sets overlap, meaning certain model elements only show when certain combinations of the design options are activated.

For example, there is an outdoor column holding up a roof which is part of an alternate bid. But there is also an alternate bid that adds a room which makes that column unnecessary. So that column ONLY shows if the outdoor roof alternate is shown, but not the additional room. The current solution is to just have one design option set, and to have each option combination within that (Base bid, Outdoor Roof Only, Additional Room Only, Both Outdoor Roof and Additional Room). However, for construction purposes, it really makes the most sense for each alternate to have its own design option set.

I'd suggest that are not part of the main model are able to interact with all design option sets. One possible way to do this would be to have the Design Option parameter in the properties bar actually be editable, and rather than just the one parameter, any element that is not considered part of the main model has a drop-down for each design option set in the project. Elements only show in views which have that combination of design options shown.

I'm not sure if this would be possible within the current Design Option system, as it is such a flawed system in the first place (the numerous ideas regarding design options on this forum illustrate that). If it is possible, great. Please do it. If not, I would be a huge proponent for completely rebuilding the entire system to make it a more functional tool.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report