Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Caps / All Lower Case In Text Type - Tags and Text part 15

All Caps / All Lower Case In Text Type - Tags and Text part 15

Add all caps / all lower case functionality as type property of text, so we can enforce consistency over an entire project regardless of user input

6 Comments
mdrotar
Contributor

You should look into Dynamo or using Revit Macros. Also, Revit 2017 fixes a few text issues.

bosborne
Advocate

Note:   this post was taken verbatim from a comment that was made on a previous post that was removed by the Forum Administrator (even though it was in the top 10 most voted - it did not meet the forum requirements because it contained more than one suggestion - therefore the 100+ votes received counted for nothing..)  I pulled all the ideas from my original post and the ideas others added into a collection of "Tags and Text" posts.  This is one of the comments.

You are correct that Dynamo can fix this issue, but is that really what you want to do for something this trivial?  Why is another software or program required to do this?  it's like bringing a hand grenade to a knife fight...

2017 text does fix a few text issues, but it also creates a whole bunch of inconsistencies.  There's another post for that..http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/tags-and-text-part-1/idi-p/6509304

pieter5
Advisor

Here's why this feature would safe us a lot of time: a lot of companies have an allcaps standard. Has been like that forever. Right now when we download families we have to change the parameter values (for example: manufacturer, model, ...) for all the types. Think about how much work that is with families that have dozens of family types. I know you can export a type cataloge and parse that through word but that's way to complicated for a typical revit user.

Having this simple option would give us ease of mind: everywhere where this text type is used, it's guaranteed to be allcaps (or lowercaps for that matter).

smharch
Advocate

I had an idea as I was yelling at people in emails again. It would be nice to have a type property to make all text on that type CAPS. 

No more having to redo all those details your intern did. 

pieter5
Advisor
pieter5
Advisor

I would also like to add that, although you can take care of sheetnames, viewnames and textnotes with dynamo, getting to your family properties is a whole other thing. There might be hundreds of parameters that you need to fetch, convert and rewrite. And that script needs to change every time you add another parameter. 

Our hope is that we will be able to drop in families (typical examples are furniture, appliances, etc) and schedule them without having to convert all the parameters (manufacturer, model, ...) to all caps. Keep in mind that some families come with hundreds of types, so one would have to convert the type catalogue. That's a lot of work where a simple option in the text type properties could fix that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report