Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Align with offset & lock/constrain

Align with offset & lock/constrain

I want to be able to align portions of a sketch to other members with an offset and lock/constrain it as such.  I've seen others ask for an offset to be added to the align tool, but I would add that you should be able to maintain that offset with a lock (without using a placed dimension).

5 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

that's exactly what a locked dimension does.

are you suggesting that this sort of constraint would rotate both objects together etc? that would be pretty useful but also could be solved by allowing two parallel objects to have an angular dimension (0*) between them.

AKingslayer
Advocate

Galen,

I don't want to place 50 dimensions for every sketch, click the item sketch line, change the dimension value, lock the dimension.  Right now I place a floor or slab by going around the perimeter with the align command using some background, nearby element or the edge of steel framing, with these steps:

Choose Align command > pick face/line > pick sketch line > pick lock symbol.

Then repeat: Pick face/line > pick sketch line > pick lock symbol.

But there is no way to automatically offset the line while doing these steps...  

What I would like to do is:

Choose the Align command > set the offset value to x" > check a box that says "lock after align" > pick a face/line > pick a sketch line.

Then repeat: pick face/line > pick a sketch line.

This would do (3) things at once:  align, offset, and lock a sketch to faces/lines.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand better now and agree that would be useful.

In regards to align+offset, I generally use the offset with the line picker to do something similar. Then I add a dimension and lock it, which is the step that would be eliminated. Also with the existing system, the constraints break if you try to rotate the object (which they might in any event).

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report