Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Length Calculation to Multiple Selected Elements

Add Length Calculation to Multiple Selected Elements

Adding a tool that calculates total length (or total sf) of multiple selected elements. This would be very helpful for walls, roofs, and line-based detail items. I understand this can be done with a correctly set up schedule, but it is slow and cumbersome if you're looking for a quick one time calculation.

4 Comments
blessard_TMG
Contributor

Related to this, it would be nice to have the ability to find the center of a complex set of connected lines or objects as well as its length (basically adding a drafting view polyline). This is important when doing life safety plans; we us a "path of travel" family for travel paths and it's difficult find the 'most remote spot' in a building between 2 points when the travel path between those 2 points is a complex line.

opesch_
Advocate

The question seems cumbersome at first look.

My fist answer would also be "Why not use Scheddule ? It's not so complicated !"

but 🙂

Is it not as cumbersome that when we are selecting several objects we cannot make the difference between empty properties or variable values (there are both showing blank ! ) ? And we sometimes overwrite some valid value in there just because there's no possibility to see that someone already filled something in ?

• I would let the field "blank" if NONE of the selected elements have actual (or emptied) values in there
  • I would put an italic grey-out "various" value if there are different non-numeric values
  • I would put a "sum" value if there are different numeric values... 
    If possible I would also provide a "mean, min, max" value in a tooltip or in the statusbar as Excel do... but I don't know if it's feasible
jkbi
Enthusiast

The total length of selected elements could be shown next to the count of elements in the lower right corner..alike auto sum in excel

Zwielehner
Advocate

Hi @kyle.g.barber@jkbi 

we are currently working on a plugin that - among other things - does exactly that. If you are interested in participating as an early adaptor just let me know.

Regards,

Thomas

Property_Sum.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report