Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add ability to adjust display size of points for point clouds

Add ability to adjust display size of points for point clouds

Currently point clouds appear to display as one pixel per point. The ability to adjust the display size of points would make it easier to work with point clouds when zoomed in or when the point cloud screen density drops.

What would be really awesome is some way to control point display size dynamically as a function of distance to camera (closer points appear larger to compensate for lower screen density), but I suppose that would only apply to perspective views.

3 Comments
triamconsulting
Explorer

Oh mighty please Autodesk Revit team !!! 

We really do need the capacity to specify the size of point cloud pixels for printing.

As structural engineer, for elements such as Retaining Walls,

I often do drone surveys and export the DEM Ortho-model point cloud in  *.las   file format to Recap,

refine it there, then import it into Revit.  It's great to see your proposed new Revit-modeled

building or structure on the actual grounds/site.  Trouble is, to have the point cloud present as a 

"solid" enough surface I have to drop down the resolution on my prints (say PDF to 200 dpi

instead of a desired resolution of 1200 dpi) - which runes the presentation of Revit-modeled entities.

As suggested above it would be most helpful  to adjust the could pixels (a) in sections, and in 3D views

whereby there is a factor for points in foreground, and a scale by which point sizes reduced toward the background.

These parameters should be controllable for each each view, since the relative density of points in the point cloud

will be differently interpreted in each of the view varying with the scale of the view.

Many thanks !

MichaelWolff
Advisor

Using a 4K display, reducing the resolution to something like 1024x768 pixels is a TEMPORARY solution for me because loose dots appear as an image once more. Once u have re-oriented in 3d space, mark something and go 4k again.

whbouwmeester
Participant

Recap can do it, open source programs can do it, why not Revit? It would help a lot with visualisations and identifying specific parts in a point cloud when zoomed in a lot. And please make it printable. Different sizes of points depending on distance would be cool, but as long as the points closest to the camera/view are in front of points further away I am happy.

RevitRevitnot Revitnot Revit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report