Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crop Region Line Styles

Crop Region Line Styles

Allow users to set line styles for each segment of a crop region.

Currently, if one wants to use the crop region boundary as a heavy cut line in an interior elevation view one must override the crop region line weight by element. If the interior elevation involves break lines (room extends beyond the bounds of the view) the crop region must be hidden and a masking region "donut" must be used.

Allowing users to set line styles for individual segments of crop regions would simplify documentation and eliminate a repetative, low-value activity that happens in every project.

23 Comments
damjanuzelac
Contributor

So far you can only turn crop boxes on and off - why not give them a line style?

Tags (1)
doni49
Mentor

I think this could prove useful.  But for me, it would be of lower priority to other things on the wishlist.  If it's something that's quick and easy to do, great.  But I wouldn't want to see something more important pushed aside to get this done.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't remember where I saw it but John Pierson has a dynamo script to do this.

pieter5
Advisor

Are you referring to cropping of plans and elevations? In that case: there's a duplicate topic: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/crop-region-line-styles/idi-p/6330724

pieter5
Advisor

I would also like to add that being able to preset the line weight and pattern for cropping boundaries would be helpful. A common standard is having the boundary of a interior elevation be a thick line. Right now, we have to right click every crop boundary and override in view. Much easier would be if we could preset it in the object styles dialog.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As pieter mentions, this would allow us to maintain a very common graphic standard (heavy cut line) without having to go in to sometimes hundreds of interior elevations and override the crop regions one by one, so I for one would really love to see this addressed sooner rather than later. While it may seem insignificant, it's one of those things that can waste immense amounts of time.

david
Observer

Would definitely agree, going through this process just now, was hoping it had already been changed in the latest version....

JBrzezowski
Enthusiast

Currently with crop region display on crop region shows as a solid line outline. It'd be better if there was an option to change the style of those lines individually (as you can do with any lines) especially with view breaks where it'd be logical to use dashed line to show that the view is actually broken.

Capture.PNG

Tags (1)
phu_nguyen
Participant

I was searching for same answer and got it. It can be changed in Object Styles/Annotation Objects/Callout Boundary 

Hope this help you and others who are asking for same answer

pieter5
Advisor

I think this topic is more about elevation crop boundaries (that's why I voted for it). I would like to set it like we can for filled regions (edge by edge). 

Sometimes you want to show that on one side the view is open (hide edge), while on the other sides you want to use a thick edge to show there's a wall/slab there etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's very annoying that we cannot control the view crop box line style!  Please add it to the object styles menu so that we can control how they look.  Particularly for interior elevations.  Right now, we have to manually go in and override each crop box manually one by one to get the line thickness we require.

lionel.kai
Advisor

Duplicate of Crop Region Line Styles

lionel.kai
Advisor
lionel.kai
Advisor

@phu_nguyen That's for the "Callout Boundary" (hence the name) NOT the Crop Region. Personally, I don't need individual segment control (which is this idea), since we don't print our boundaries, but I WOULD like to change what the boundary looks like (the solid black line is too prominent - something similar to Reference Planes would be better), which is covered by this idea:

Globally change Crop View/Crop Region Settings.

and duplicates:

Allow to style crop region boundaries

Put Crop Region Lines in the Object Styles menu so we can control how they look!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would agree with much of what is said - starting with simply being able to the crop boundary linestyle would be great! More options beyond that would be helpful.

JADAstudio
Collaborator

Currently, when exporting to DWG crop regions become paperspace viewports with non-rectangular crop regions converted to rectangular. This is less than ideal. If someday we have the ability to specify line styles for each crop region segment those crop regions should become modelspace geometry when exported to DWG.

senglychau
Contributor

for some of us who often have to produce internal elevations and had to go to each individual view and element override this is a very handy option to have. The hours and frustrations... 

geordieshaw
Contributor

Another simple thing Autodesk could implement that would save us having to perform this mundane task on every project... just to get drawings to conform to accepted graphic standards. 😑

Dirk77
Contributor

I was brought here hoping to find that this has been implemented, but alas.
To add to what Geordie and many others said - it is definitely something that is being modified variedly and often by a variety of users. Comon autodesk, bite!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report