Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to Rehost Elements before Deleting a Level

Ability to Rehost Elements before Deleting a Level

When deleting a Level a meaningful warning should tell you what is going to be deleted before you hit OK.

This way you can locate the objects and place them in a different Level. Then try again until all the objects hosted on the Level have been re-hosted to a different Level. Only then you can safely delete the Level.

At the moment, Revit 2018, you try to delete a Level and a warning tells you that a view is going to be deleted. You click OK and a whole bunch of things disappear without warning. There is no undo available for this action. Only then you get an idea of what was deleted. Too late.

Ideally, we should be able to select ALL objects hosted to a Level.

When Unloading a DWG you get a warning that this action cannot be undone even though you can reload it just as easily. But when deleting a Level which has serious repercussions no such warning and no Undo. Very NASTY tool.

45 Comments
Kevin.Bell
Advisor

If you delete a level in Revit, it deletes all objects on that level - no warning is given.

There should be a safe way of finding objects that are assigned to that level and reassigning them to a differnt level.

Perhaps Revit could automatically assign them to the level below?

Its a real problem if you create too many levels at the beginning of a project, you cant then delete some as you'll lose informaiton.

glenbob305
Advocate

This sounds a lot like a bug, though a developer might call this a feature.

I hope Autodesk puts adding a warning for this on their high priority list.

When a level is deleted, the items should just float in the air and become unassociated or unhosted.

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision. 

The Factory

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed, it might be simplest to either have them re-associate their elevation to the bottom-most layer OR require us to re-associate with the level of our choice, but still maintain the original elevation.  And remaining dimensions become disassociated, so objects remain in their original position. 

At the same time, perhaps there could also be a dialogue to select all objects on a specific layer too?

AKingslayer
Advocate

There should be a way to "List all elements associated with level x" i.e. a schedule.  Then be able to sort that list and reassign those items to other levels.  That way you could confirm a level is not in use and has been cleaned out before deleting.

SashKaz
Advocate

While Autodesk is looking into this as a possible solution to integrate into Revit, there is a solution for this. Check out Ideate Software's Ideate Apps package. It includes a tool called Smart Delete and it will list every single element, view, etc. that would be affected if you delete a level, or for that matter, anything in Revit (like deleting a door...all the door tags, dimensions to doors, etc. will delete as well).

Sash Kazeminejad

vadimvlasov5592
Contributor

The elements on a deleted level can just be assigned the offsets from the nearest level and remain in place.
I agree that this is the issue that has long been haunting all Revit users and needs to be finally addressed.

Nurlan-A.
Advisor

Please add the ability to delete level without deleting constrainted object. 

It would be nice to get a dialog box with a list of affected items where you can select items to delete or keep with a replacement level assignment.

Tags (1)
nickYM4B9
Enthusiast

This is a fairly common request and you can find the parent Idea at the link below.  It's currently under review in Autodesk's review process.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/safe-way-to-delete-levels/idi-p/6572568

Nurlan-A.
Advisor

Voted! I hope Adsk will not delay with the decision.

This board needs an option to deal with similar ideas.

abigail.olivieri
Advocate

Would be ideal REVIT would prompt user to place the elements all on an "unassociated" or "unhosted" level (temporary level) and/ or to assign a new level on the spot.  Yes the option and error boxes should be the way to go to keep the user involved in placing/saving the elements on a deleted level.

abigail.olivieri
Advocate

@SashKaz, where can i find the Ideate Software App?  I didnt even know this existed!

SashKaz
Advocate

Hi @abigail.olivieri,

You can find Ideate Apps and other Ideate Software applications for Revit at www.ideatesoftware.com

Here is the trial download link: http://ideatesoftware.com/download

Let me know how you like it and if you have any questions.

Sash

abigail.olivieri
Advocate

Hi @SashKaz, thank you i will take a look and let you know! 🙂

sarsenault2CCSS
Advisor

I think this falls into two categories:

• Providing proper warning when deleting a level, especially for elements that will get deleted
  • Providing a way to see a list of the elements who rely of the level as dependencies (floors, walls, views, etc)

I'm in the process of cleaning up useless levels and it is quite a scary job.

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Hi Everyone,

With the Revit 2019 release, we added a much more robust warning when a user deletes a level.  This warning reports all the elements that will also be affected.  We also changed the default of this warning so that it is "cancel" and not "ok" - hopefully, making it harder for someone to accidentally delete a level.   We are marking this idea as implemented.  If you have other thoughts or ideas on how we can make this better, please feel free to find another idea to add your thoughts to, or submit a new idea.  We want to hear your feedback. 

Thanks, 

The Factory 

lionel.kai
Advisor

Now (in Revit 2019) at least we get a warning dialog (with element IDs) that says what will be DELETED, but it took me a while to realize that it doesn't tell you about things that loose Work Plane association (like Structural Framing). It would be great if we not only got notified (of BOTH) but had an easy way to choose replacement Level(s) - instead of having to go through each one manually using IDs.

glenbob305
Advocate

Revisiting this thread.  Revit should treat deleted levels the same way as deleted host elements in a linked model.  Just let whatever the item is become unassociated with that level and throw a warning.  

If you have a wall for instance that's bottom constraint is this level, when the level is deleted just take off that base constraint and leave it "unassociated" or "14FT above the level below" or whatever.

If you have a model item hosted to the level (placed on the level itself)...just leave it floating there.

Revit really should work to get better at "fixing" and "reassigning" hosting. 

As an MEP constantly working with linked models, hosting is a nightmare...especially if your architects working ahead of you delete and replace hosting elements rather than just changing their type...

vbaileyUSEATL
Contributor

Has there been a solution for this yet? Ideate is good at informing you with WHAT will be deleted but im still not sure if there is a proper way to go about removing or re associating elements onto different levels. What about views? Can I reassign views to a different level so those are kept?

My issue is I have a MEP model with aligned Arch views. But the Arch has combined  / deleted some levels. So In order to remove those duplicates I currently have, I need to delete some levels and reassign some elements & views to a new level.

Example below: The Arch updated the levels by combining Level 02 & P4 whereas I currently have mine separated.

image.png

lionel.kai
Advisor

@vbaileyUSEATL Nope. Still no "solution", although at least there's a workaround now:

1. upgrade the project to 2019 (if it's not already)
  2. delete the level & export the warnings (with all the element IDs of what's associated)
  3. go back to the original version (or undo the delete) and manually change every element before deleting the Level for real (TIP: if there were a lot of elements, you may want to repeat step 1 first to check that you caught everything)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report