Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to understand the default "line styles"

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
pipapongo0909
497 Views, 1 Reply

trying to understand the default "line styles"

Hi forum,

I have been working with Revit for almost 10 month now and i am still getting confused about the Line Styles. I amj trying to understand the different Line Styles or to use the confusing Revit terminology: " Subcategories of Lines".

In order to understand the default ones that come even with an empty template i created a new empty project and listed all the Line Styles/ Line Subcategories ( i will use the term"Line Style(s) since i get the feeling most of the users here do )  by: Modify Tab --> Additional Settings --> Line Styles.

FIrst things to notice:

• none of the existing Styles ca be deleted
  • there a a bunch of Line Styles enclosed in "<...>"
    • i found this link explaining ( i did not get it though) the different use of this styles link
    • this cleared things on:
      • <Area Boundary>
      • <Beyond>
      • <Room Seperation>
      • <Sketch>
      • <Space Separartion>
    • for the other styles like
      • <Centerline>
      • <Demolished>
      • <Fabric Envelop>
      • <Fabric Sheets>
      • <Hidden>
      • <Overhead>
      • <Room Seperation>
      • <Sketch>
      • <Space Separartion>
      • Axis of Rotation
      • Hidden Lines

they explain it: ' [Line Style Name] :]Annotation line style used by the user while drawing a line with the "Detail Line "command'
        I do not get what that means. At best i could argue that this styes are also available for a 2D detail Line, but not all of them ( see picture: availableLineStylesFor 2DAnnotaionLines) but thats not true for all of them e.g. <Fabric Envelope>

In order to be able to setup a standard people will need to get this. Could someone give me some intel, links or push in the right direction please

i added a basic Excel file where i made me an overview of the styles i do get and the ones i do not get ( in red)

thanks a lot in advance

Jeff

Jeff Wurth
BIM Manager | Dipl Ing. Bauingenieur
LinkedIn

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
laurasmagin
in reply to: pipapongo0909

I'll try to give you some help...

The sub category of lines works like the layer/levels in CAD (AutoCAD/Mircostation) You can create a sub category to control the linework within a family.

The lines you mentioned here can be explained like this...

• <Centerline>            (Default linestyle for centrelines of elements such as Wall centrelines)
  • <Demolished>          (This is the Default linestyle used specifically if you are using phasing)
  • <Fabric Envelop>      (Not sure about this one, can anyone else help?
  • <Fabric Sheets>        (Not sure about this one can anyone else help 🙂
  • <Hidden>                 (This is a default linestyle for lines generated that you would want to appear as 'Hidden' e.g. dashed)
  • <Overhead>             (This is a default linestyle for lines generated that you would want to appear as 'Hidden' e.g. dashed)
  • <Room Seperation>  (This is a default linestyle for lines generated using the line separation tool)
  • <Sketch>                  (This is a default linestyle for lines generated using the line sketch tool)
  • <Space Separartion> (This is a default linestyle for lines generated using the Space separation tool (MEP Spaces))
  • Axis of Rotation        (This is a default linestyle for lines generated as Axis when creating solid or viod rotated forms)
  • Hidden Lines             (This is a default linestyle for lines generated that you would want to appear as 'Hidden' e.g. dashed)
Give me Kudos or mark as a solution if this helps
Regards
Laura

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report