Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit master file on samba server --> unable to write

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
maarten.vergauwen
774 Views, 4 Replies

Revit master file on samba server --> unable to write

I try to create a master file on a samba share (Linux server, serving files via the Samba protocol).

I have write-access on the folder and saving a 'normal' revit file works perfectly.

However, when I try to save a master file (checking the checkbox in options), I get the error:

Unable to write, it is read only or opened by somebody else.

Are there certain parameters that have to be set on the samba share to make this work?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
SerhanB
in reply to: maarten.vergauwen

Recently I've read somewhere that a Linux based nas user having a similar problem found the solution with disabling a sort of caching mechanism which locks the central file. May be you can search for a setting of smb/nmb services which caches and unintentionally locks files.
Serhan BAKIR
http://www.stand.com.tr/
Message 3 of 5
maarten.vergauwen
in reply to: SerhanB

Hello Serhan,

I stumbled across the post you mentioned. It suggested turning off "oplocks" on the Samba (or NAS) server.

I did exactly that, to no avail.

Revit actually writes everything correctly (the file, the backup folder) and the saving statusbar goes to 100% but in the very end the error message pops up.

There are no error messages on the server, so without extra information it's hard to debug this.

Message 4 of 5
SerhanB
in reply to: maarten.vergauwen

Hi Maarten,

Did you managed to solve the problem? Sometimes different smb versions creates errors in a windows only environment as well such as lagging and longer sync times. Which distro and smb version do you use? 

Serhan BAKIR
http://www.stand.com.tr/
Message 5 of 5
maarten.vergauwen
in reply to: SerhanB

Hello Serhan,

Unfortunately we didn't manage to solve this issue. No matter which configuration option we tried, the error kept popping up.

We finally had to put the master file on a different (Windows CIFS) server.

The samba server we use is a Centos 7, running samba 4.4.4-12.

I would definitely be interested in a solution to this!

cheers,

Maarten

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report