Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2017 fails to print to PDF

218 REPLIES 218
SOLVED
Message 1 of 219
MattFried
90024 Views, 218 Replies

Revit 2017 fails to print to PDF

When i try to print to PDF the loading bar either freezes or doesn't start up at all, no pdf's being made. I mainly use "multiple selected views/sheets into a single file" option.

I tried the long route by creating seperate pdf files to combine after, but even some single pdf sheets aren't being made! I've lowered the resolution and all that as well with no solution. SOO FRUSTRATING, i can't send drawing sets to clients...

Every new version of Revit comes with new bugs and issues its very frustrating....

Please help.

218 REPLIES 218
Message 41 of 219
ktaltd
in reply to: scashman

Hi

I had some major issues with Acrobat and Revit 2017 printing 80 A1 pages but they disappeared when I set the "Enable advanced printing features" to enabled on the Advanced PDF Properties on the printer driver. Worth a try.

Slow printing though - AutoCAD has its own .pdf drivers and a better management system as far as plotting is concerned (using Sheet Sets) so you would think that Revit would have well refined this by now?

Message 42 of 219

Gentlemen:

This issue is essentially dead. Looking at the number and intensity of the messages to Autodesk seeking a viable solution, it seems entirely believable that Autodesk have no idea how to solve this issue, and, further, have no intention of putting in the effort required to find a solution. 'Kay? Everyone got that?

So - for heaven's sake, give it up. "Customer service" is not there at Autodesk to help customers, but to avoid liability for lack of service.

The cynical view of large, accountant-driven management groups is that decisions are made on a cost-effectiveness basis. (For example; "Will it cost us less to pay out to bereaved families than to put in a collision-proof fuel tank valve at a cost per car of under $5.00?" That's a real example, folks...)

If that is the case - and I have no, repeat no, documentary or other evidence to support this contention - then the cynic in me suggests that the only way to get some satisfaction is to buy as many shares in Autodesk as you can afford, since you will then know that you are at least getting something out of the deal, even as the shaft is shoved in deeper at the other end...

Best of luck, everyone...!

Message 43 of 219

Couldn't agree more, and I wonder whether the Autodesk Community is just an "expansion vessel" to deal with the heat.....

Wasting time and effort, leading us on for the next subscription date.............

Michael Mc Sweeney,

Consulting Engineer.

Rathoonagh West,

Ballymakeera,

Co. Cork

Ireland

ph: +35326 45338

mob: +35386 2607996

email: michaelmcsweeney@outlook.com

[X]
[https://outlook.live.com/owa/projection.aspx&retryCount=3]
Message 44 of 219

Hi Folks.

I love using Revit, as a matter of fact my jib is supporting and teaching Revit. So....I wanted to help you all out.

I opened up Revit 2017 and was able to plot to PDF through other means NOT Adobe..

Here are the printers that I was able to plot a PDF to:

(Free built into Windows 10) = "Microsoft Print to PDF"

(Free) = CutePDF

$$ = Bluebeam

Give those a shot gentlemen and ladies..and please let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Rick Kremer | Senior Technical Consultant

404.564.1852 (d) | 561.676.5303 (c)

RKremer@asti.com

Applied Software | Consulting, Services, Software, Go Further

2801 Buford Highway NE | Druid Chase, Suite 100

Atlanta, GA  30329

www.asti.com 

Message 45 of 219

I've tried them all, CutePDF seemed to work for a while but now I can't even get the print dialog box to work (none of the buttons work and "browse" for file name etc is dead)

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, I'm very frustrated. The only method available now is to export to jpg and then print the jpg to pdf. Rediculas

Michael Mc Sweeney,

Consulting Engineer.

Rathoonagh West,

Ballymakeera,

Co. Cork

Ireland

[X]
Message 46 of 219

That's very strange indeed?

Are you on Windows 10? Because there is a free pdf printer now included in every windows 10 install?

Rick

Message 47 of 219

Dear colleagues

For now I still work with Adobe Proffesionel.

For my work I need to print a bundel contaning A3 pages (around 5 to 10 pages) and one plan (A2 to A0).

Most of the times I'm able to print one of them, then I have to close Revit, start it up again and print the other.

If I'm lucky I'm able to print my bundel first and my plan next ... if I'm very lucky!

Still scandalous of Autodesk not to find a solution or even bother to respond!

Philip

Message 48 of 219

yes, Windows 10

I heard some rumours it was Microsoft's fault but that's a cop out as I see it

Michael Mc Sweeney,

Consulting Engineer.

Rathoonagh West,

Ballymakeera,

Co. Cork

Ireland

[X]
Message 49 of 219

UPDATE ********

OK, folks, So i downloaded and installed a trial version of Adobe DC PRo....and.... when trying to plot to Adobe's printer my Revit 2017 just hangs....

So. Adobe and Autodesk don't play well together. My recommendation to EVERYONE if you want Autodesk to fix this is to log a case through your Autodesk subscription center. he more people make a fuss and create a case Autodesk should hopefully address it in a fix/ update.

Here is a link to an article on how to create a case with Autodesk. Please folks create a case, complaining on these forums won't help, creating a case will.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/subscription-management/support-o...

Best of luck folks, sorry Adobe DC pro won't work, but there are other free solutions..

Rick

Message 50 of 219
chris
in reply to: michaelmcsweeney

Hi Rick,

Microsoft's printer does not have the sheet sizes I need, so it does not
work for me even if it did work.

I still have found print preview to be the best work around for this issue.

Thank You,

Chris Blakemore

chris@deiengineers.com

Mailing:
4790 Caughlin Parkway #766
Reno, Nevada 89519-0907

Phone 775.329.2733
Fax 888.873.0790
Message 51 of 219
rinesh355
in reply to: river0013

thank you, this process work fine for me, but need to take print preview every time.

Message 52 of 219
rinesh355
in reply to: MattFried

I got solution for this problem by taking print preview of each sheet before press print command.

Message 53 of 219
will
in reply to: dzanta

Try fixing your program

Message 54 of 219
mchristop

It appears clear to me that the best way to get consistent reliable PDF files from Revit would be if Autodesk would provide the ability create PDF files directly from Revit without a third party software package.  I would think It would be much easier for them to do this than to try to play well with everyone else and keep up with them when they update or patch something. There are way to many variables out there with 3rd party software to keep track of. Autocad can create PDF files reliably and easily, WHY NOT REVIT?  We should be able to publish an entire set of 85 PDF files with two mouse clicks.

Truly frustrating indeed...

How about Revit publish to PDF Autodesk?

Please, Please, PRETTY PLEASE?

Message 55 of 219
chris

I would say to everyone just deal with it and hopefully the next version
gets fixed.

This is not the first time nor will it be the last time problems like this
happen.

Even number versions of the program always seem to be better anyhow.

Thank You,

Chris Blakemore

chris@deiengineers.com

Mailing:
4790 Caughlin Parkway #766
Reno, Nevada 89519-0907

Phone 775.329.2733
Fax 888.873.0790
Message 56 of 219
ColinCargill3511
in reply to: chris

Hi Chris:

That's an intriguing approach to professional service delivery...

Just to confirm I understood your suggestion correctly, here's an imaginary dialogue with a client:

(client) "Hi Chris. Look, we have a problem - the building you designed doesn't have an entry door. That doesn't work for us. All our staff are standing outside in the parking lot, and the chairman of the board can't park his car. It's getting kinda ugly out there.... What should we do?"

(quoted from suggestion) "I would say to everyone just deal with it and hopefully the next version gets fixed."

(client) "Hey look, I don't want to be pushy or anything, but its starting to rain and people are getting pissed off. They're starting to rock the chairman's car..."

(quoted from suggestion) "Look, just say "This is not the first time nor will it be the last time problems like this happen. Even number versions... always seem to be better anyhow."

(client) "You mean you'll fix this on building # 2? !!!"

(Chris) "That's it. You got it."

(client) "You really think there will be a building # 2 in your future?"

Message 57 of 219
will
in reply to: dzanta

Try fixing a feature of the program that worked in previous versions.

Im sorry, but this thread says the issue is solved.  It is by no means solved.  Just because you post some bs answer does not mean that this is not a complete and utter nuisance.  Please fix this immediately and upload a corrected version of 2017.  Printing pdf's is a core function.

Message 58 of 219
levi.m

Our IT fixed a similar problem a few of us were having. On Windows 10, we are using Revit 2017.2, and upon clicking on the Print option, Revit would crash. Apparently there is a printer on our network that has a corrupt or incompatible driver with Revit 2017.2.

These are the steps he took to fix the problem:

1. Select the Start button, then select Settings, then select Devices, scroll down to Let Windows manage my default printer, and turn it Off

printer.JPG

2. Then scroll back up and select your Adobe PDF printer icon, select Manage, then Set as default

printer2.JPG

printer3.JPG

You're welcome to set your default printer to BlueBeam, CutePDF Writer, Microsoft Print to PDF, or any other PDF print driver you may have.

Regards,

levi.m

Message 59 of 219

Unfortunately the Microsoft print to PDF that comes with windows 10 does include any sizes of 18"X24" and up.

It is totally useless for Arch & engineers.

Message 60 of 219
JefferyHarwood

This worked for me, hopefully it will work for everyone else. I changed my printer setting to not ask where to save the PDF file, but to save it automatically to a specified folder. Seems to be working so far. See the attached screenshot (apologies that the image is rotated the wrong way).PDF.JPG 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report