Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worksharing - Does not create new local for second user opening file

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
2433 Views, 13 Replies

Worksharing - Does not create new local for second user opening file

Good morning,

I have created the central file and am able to open the central file as the first user. 

Error 1.PNG

Please Note: I have a central and a new central because I followed another post's troubleshooting (Create New Local Greyed Out) that called for detaching and saving the central file as a new name but it did not work.

When a second user tries to open the same file, they do not have the option to create a new local file.

Error 2.PNG

We are using Revit 2019 on Dropbox 56.4.94. Both of us have the same version of Dropbox. No one is opening the central file. We are both attempting to create new local files. We open the file with the open dialog box. We do not have a subscription to BIM360. I do not know what else it could be. 

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
RobDraw
in reply to: Anonymous

Is worksharing enabled in the "NewCentral"? I see that it is, nevermind.

Can the other user create a local if no one else has the model open?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

Yes, it is. 

Message 4 of 14
RobDraw

I editted my previous post. Please see second question.

Rob

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Yes. The second user can open if they open first. Then the first user cannot create a new local file.

Message 6 of 14
RobDraw

Have you changed the default location of the local files?

Are there any links that have your file linked?

I'm just grasping at straws until someone else comes along.

Rob

Message 7 of 14
brettgatti

Are both users mapped to the same location with the same Drive Letter or UNC path?

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

No, I did not change anything. They are saved on our local hard drives. Does that make a difference? No linked files. 

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: brettgatti

The files are on Dropbox, with two separate desktop computers. The local files are on our separate desktop computers. Does that answer your question?

Message 10 of 14
brettgatti

According to Autodesk, Dropbox is not a recommended method of sharing Central files/Workshared files. 

Some people have reported limited success but many others have posted that this is definitely not a recommended workflow.  Please note that the second link points to a post that originally offered an explanation on how to use Dropbox for this purpose but that the author went back and added a large disclaimer to his original post explaining that the Dropbox method will ultimately fail.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: brettgatti

Great information. So what you are saying then is, if I remove the file from Dropbox then I will have the option to create a new local file with two different users with no problem? 

Message 12 of 14
Kelsey.S

Hi @Anonymous,

As shared by @brettgatti, Dropbox is not a recommend workflow for Revit worksharing. While it may work for a while, eventually problematic behavior could occur. See the following link for more information: Using Revit files on Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, and SharePoint

You can create a new central on a server that both users have access to and then have both users test to see if they are now able to create new local. See: Workflow: Setting up a Workshared Project

If my reply was helpful, please "Like" or click the "Accept as Solution" button below (or both).

Kelsey Skaug
Autodesk Technical Support
Message 13 of 14
Kelsey.S

Hi @Anonymous.

Was my reply helpful? If it was, please click "Accept as a Solution" so that other members of our community can easily find it and benefit from it.

Thank you!

Kelsey Skaug
Autodesk Technical Support
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Kelsey.S

Thank you. I already tried to set up the file with worksharing as you sent in the link previously, it does not work. So the bottom line is Dropbox as a server does not work. 🙂 Thanks for all your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report