Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does this file download from Desktop Connector?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
EricLovell
1054 Views, 6 Replies

Where does this file download from Desktop Connector?

So I just got out a meeting with our Structural Engineers on a project and they are not too sure BIM 360 is the best system for them. What they do usually is have 2 models that they work from. One that they use for there drawing sets and the other for calculations and back of house stuff. The way we have it set up right now, they can't do that since they can't download a model of ours from BIM 360 without us publishing. Which then that model may not always match the live model they are linking to for there drawing set. I get that, but I was trying to figure out if we could download the file from the desktop connector and use that for the back of house stuff. But when I click download from the Desktop Connector from within Windows, it sits on a transferring files loading window and then I don't know what it did. Am I missing something?

We would love to allow them to download a version of our model from where it stands over having to publish the model just for them in BIM 360 or another piece of software

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
bogdan_ciobanu
in reply to: EricLovell

Hi @EricLovell,

Thank you for this post. 

The files downloaded from the connected drives installed with Desktop Connector will be in the same location. So, there's no secondary folder created on the machine, you will find the files in the same connected drive, in the same folder.

I am not entirely sure I understand the question here, though. The files we see on the BIM 360 connected drive are the files you have in your BIM 360 project, online, so what do you mean to download from Desktop Connector without publishing before? Maybe you can provide more details about what your workflow would be? 

Also, are you using BIM 360 Design? Maybe that would be a better idea and you will be able to control more easily what versions you are sharing and with whom. So, your engineers would be able to have files just for them in their team space and then publish for external just what they wanted to. 

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

Bogdan

Bogdan Ciobanu
Message 3 of 7
bogdan_ciobanu

Hi @EricLovell

I wanted to follow up with you to see if you still needed my help or if my previous post answered your question. 

If it did, thank you for clicking on Accept Solution to validate the answer, so that others can find it and use it easily. 

If there is anything else, let me know and I will be happy to help.

Best regards,

Bogdan

Bogdan Ciobanu
Message 4 of 7
bogdan_ciobanu

Hi @EricLovelln

Just to let you know that if you have further questions about this I would be happy to help you clarify them.

In case there are no further questions, thanks again in advance for clicking on Accept Solution to validate the post that helped you, so that others can find it and use it easily. 

Best regards,

Bogdan

Bogdan Ciobanu
Message 5 of 7
EricLovell
in reply to: bogdan_ciobanu

Thank you for the responses. It was Thanksgiving so I wasn't checking my work email about this. I was just curious pressing download did when you do it from the Desktop Connector. It was doing nothing, but it seems like that's because we didn't publish the model?

Our consultant is live linking to our model and was wondering how they could save off another model for them to run calculations with so that it doesn't disrupt anything we are doing. Looks like we will have to have 2 models for them so that they can do these calculations.

Message 6 of 7
EricLovell
in reply to: bogdan_ciobanu

We are using BIM 360 Design. I was just seeing if there was a way we could allow the consultant to save off a model for themselves to do structural calcs with.

Message 7 of 7
bogdan_ciobanu

Hi @EricLovell

Thank you for your reply.

So, you can use the Download button to download the files in order to work offline. If you choose to download a file, you will be able to use it when you choose to work offline and it will be found in the same location as in the online project. That's what I meant by files being downloaded in the same location, apologies if my answer was not clear.

If creating just some separate views for them and not to share them outside their team's space does is not enough and if they actually need a secondary model, I guess your consultants will need to use a secondary model just to serve their purpose, I suppose. 

I hope this was helpful.

Thank you for clicking on Accept Solution on any post that answered your questions. If you need further assistance, let me know and I will be happy to help.

Best regards,

Bogdan

Bogdan Ciobanu

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report