Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading model without breaking it for others

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
owenflass
949 Views, 4 Replies

Upgrading model without breaking it for others

I'm a drafter in a furniture and millwork shop and need to open a Revit model to get some complex measurements.

I have a Revit file from the architect, but I had to download a Revit trial to open it -- it looks like the model was built in the 2018 version, I have the 2021 version. I can't seem to open the model without upgrading.

If I upgrade the model on my end, will it (via the cloud) break the original model? I'd hate to get an angry email from the architecture firm... Normally I'm not so paranoid, given that I'm on a separate network, but Autodesk's cloud features make me nervous. 

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ToanDN
in reply to: owenflass

No. If you open the 2018 model in Revit 2021 and save, others on Revit 2018 will not be able to open it.
If you absolutely don't have Revit 2018, you could use Revit 2021 but you would have to export the furniture model to UFC in order for the architect to be able to link it back in their 2018 model.
Message 3 of 5
owenflass
in reply to: ToanDN

Just to clarify - I don't need to send anything back to them. I need to at least view the model to take measurements, or more ideally export to Sketchup, where we do our modeling. You're saying that I can't even open this file without making it impossible for the sender/owner of the file to use it without upgrading their license?

Message 4 of 5
ToanDN
in reply to: owenflass

If this is a one way traffic then no problem. You can open and upgrade the model they sent you and work on it. They are still working on their original model no problem.
Message 5 of 5
owenflass
in reply to: ToanDN

Great, thanks for the reassurance!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report