Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow load time for material browser with C4R

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Darin_HDR
934 Views, 14 Replies

Slow load time for material browser with C4R

Running Revit 2018.2

I have a project I am using Collaborate For Revit (C4R) and whenever I need to go to my materials browser, it takes forever to open (well actually I clocked it at 40 seconds, but that feels like forever). This is just occurring on the C4R project. In fact I can have my C4R project open and another project at the same time in Revit. If I open the materials browser in the other project, it opens right up. If I switch back over to my C4R project, it takes forever.

Is C4R pulling the material library from the cloud? Why does it take soooooo long. Everything else seems to run at relatively the same speed as a locally hosted file, just not opening up the materials browser. Is there a fix?

Thanks,

Darin

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Darin_HDR
in reply to: Darin_HDR

Any...any thoughts at all? Is C4R broken, does anyone else see similar behaviors?

Message 3 of 15
Darin_HDR

Well some new thoughts on my part so I guess I will continue this conversation with myself (I think Autodesk has blacklisted me after comments on another thread). 

So I am connected to an outside server through a VPN connection. Is it possible that C4R is having issues with looking for custom materials when the path for the image of the material is through a VPN connection? I don't recall having this sort of lag when we were just doing worksharing over the VPN and not using C4R. Don't get me wrong, there was lag and that is why we went to C4R, just not this type of lag when opening up the materials browser.

Message 4 of 15
Darin_HDR

HELLO...Hello...hello...

That's the echo of my cry for assistance in an empty thread. Is this not where we look for help from Autodesk?

Message 5 of 15
janneman

Hi 

Has anyone found an solution for this problem yet ,my material browser all of a sudden takes an extremely long time to load

when i am connected to our server but when i run it only on my computer not being connected to the server the material browser

is fine again,so it has to do with the material browser connection to the server that slows the process but dont know how.

Please any help would be appreciated

Message 6 of 15
Darin_HDR

The question is not has anyone found a solution, the question is, does anyone care that there is a problem. For a help forum, there is very little help that is going on here.

Sorry, I'm pretty jaded that this post has been sitting out there for more than a month with no acknowledgement from anyone tasked with offering help. I know this is a community help forum but maybe I was wrong that there are a couple of people in here with Autodesk ties that are tasked with helping find a solution to any problem (or at least acknowledging there is a problem). 

Is this not where we are supposed to look for customer support for Autodesk products? Is this the kind of help we get after shelling out $$$$$ every year to Autodesk? 

Message 7 of 15
sasha.crotty

Hi Darin,

Sorry you're having this issue and lack of response. Could you please check something to help determine if this indeed a C4R issue or actually something that's specific to your model? I've seen this kind of behavior before when your model accidentally ends up with excessive numbers of materials. If you save a detached copy of your file locally, do you still experience the same problem? Another thing to check is whether purge unused takes an unreasonably long time.

Thanks,

Sasha

Sasha Crotty
Director, AEC Design Data

Message 8 of 15
Viveka_CD

Hi @Darin_HDR

We are sorry for the delay in responding, and I understand your frustration.

As the first step, to make sure that the issue you are seeing is not something already fixed in one of the product updates, I would suggest checking the Desktop App to see if there are any Revit updates available. For information on using the Desktop App see the following article: About the Autodesk Desktop App

Note: If you are not able to download updates through the Desktop App, the following article has information on downloading updates through the Autodesk Accounts page:

Install Updates, Add-ons, and Enhancements

Related article HERE

If you continue to face issues, let us know and one of our C4R experts should be able to help.

Regards,

Message 9 of 15
Darin_HDR
in reply to: Viveka_CD

@Viveka_CD While I do appreciate the response, I don't care for cut and paste responses, especially if the information has already been covered. Did you read the first three words of my original post (running Revit version 2018.2)? I'll be curt because I am completely fed up with Autodesk's charade for actual customer support and complete disregard for effectively helping their consumers who shell out a considerable amount of money to them each year, I have found niceties do not produce results (notice nobody responded until my irritation started to show). Please don't offer advice if you are not willing to explore the problem (read the post).

I assume you could tell what updates I have by my Revit version number. If I am speaking out of turn, please forgive as I am speaking out of frustration.

Message 10 of 15
Darin_HDR
in reply to: sasha.crotty

@sasha.crotty Thank you so much for the response. 

Detaching the model did not fix the lag in opening the material browser. I deleted all the materials from the detached model and it still took as long to open. Only after I did a purge of the detached model to remove all material assets, did the detached model's material browser open as it should.

Purge on either the attached or detached model is the same (regular speed).

My thoughts are that maybe this isn't a C4R issue but a material browser issue where custom material images live on a server that Revit does not have access to threw C4R. As such, it spends a certain amount of time hunting for the file path it does not have access to before giving up (approx. 40 seconds for me). 

Unfortunately this project has a lot of materials I did not create and would be difficult for me to hunt down and remove/modify to test my theory. Let me know if you think I am going down the right path with my suggestions or you think it might merely be a material quantity issue. 

Again, thank you for your assistance.

Message 11 of 15
Viveka_CD

Hi there @Darin_HDR

I'm sorry you feel this way and understand your situation, trust me I've been there working on deadlines and things slow down or crash and I've gone back to square one reinstalling and even starting the project from scratch.

Usually, the first step to try is to update and install the necessary hotfixes. Sometimes that helps resolve the issue.

I understand that you are on Revit 2018.2 but I would recommend that you take a look at this Revit 2018.2 and Revit LT 2018.2 Updates released October 2017. There is a documentation that explains the bug fixes and stability improvements.

A few others steps to try would be as follows:

Sometimes an extremely high number of default materials are sometimes generated in a project and this can cause the slowdown or result in crashes.

@sasha.crotty may have more to add.

Please let me know if any of the above helps resolve and again we are extremely sorry for the delay in addressing your issue.

Looking forward to your reply update.

Regards,

Message 12 of 15
Viveka_CD
in reply to: janneman

Hi @janneman and @Darin_HDR

I'm checking back to see if you were able to try the recommendations and if you were able to resolve your issue?

Regards,

Message 13 of 15
janneman

Hi Viveka i did resolve my problem but now i had to redo my windows and reinstall everything and got a new server but now to browse end render and even to export lo lumion takes about 5-10 min and have also updated everything as well as unchecked hardware acceleration but still everything to slow and dont know what to do anymore because i cant work with this slow speeds
Message 14 of 15
Viveka_CD
in reply to: janneman

Hi @janneman

Thanks for the update. I'm sorry to hear that you are still facing issues.

Please send us your journal to troubleshoot further. I can also share a collector utility for your Revit version to get diagnostic data.

I can send you a private folder to upload if you'd like.

Looking forward to your reply update.

Regards,

Message 15 of 15
janneman
in reply to: Viveka_CD

Thanks but i just solved my problem the new server router was an 10mb speed and that slowed everything down so i just upgraded to an 1gb router switch now everything is back to normal

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report