Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit to IFC Export - Parts with user defined property sets

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
c.kofidis
10129 Views, 10 Replies

Revit to IFC Export - Parts with user defined property sets

Hi all!

I am trying to export a Revit model to IFC 2x3 Coordination View 2.0 using user defined property sets and the appropriate Ifc Shared Parameters.

Ifc Shared Parameters used in the revit modelIfc Shared Parameters used in the revit model

The model consists of parts created by walls, floors, slabs, structural columns and generic models. Ideally, I only want to work in revit and export to ifc parts only.

Parts made from walls, floors and slabs export correctly with the custom tab that I have defined.

Custom Property SetCustom Property Set

However, the custom tab with my property sets is missing from parts created from structural columns and generic models.

I have created a txt file with the custom property sets. I have tried various Ifc types for columns which could potentially work, i.e. IfcColumn, IfcColumnType, IfcBuildingElementPart, IfcBuildingElementProxy, etc. without success.

Below you can see a part of the txt files which shows how I've set this up.

Custom PropertySet definition to be used when exporting to ifc.Custom PropertySet definition to be used when exporting to ifc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Christos

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Viveka_CD
in reply to: c.kofidis

Hi @c.kofidis

I see that you are a new visitor. Welcome to the Autodesk community!

Can you share a file? I can send you a private upload folder to test further?

Looking forward to your reply update.

Regards,

Message 3 of 11
c.kofidis
in reply to: Viveka_CD

Hi!!

Thanks for replying and trying to assist.

I will prepare the files to be shared. Please send me a private upload folder to test further.

Thanks,

Christos

Message 4 of 11
c.kofidis

Hello again!

It looks like there is a problem with my original model. I have created a test model to share with you and everything seems to be working properly.

The original model was upgraded from Revit2015 to Revit2018 so that might be the issue. I will investigate further.

Cheers,

Christos

Message 5 of 11
Viveka_CD

Hi @c.kofidis

Welcome back! Smiley Happy

I've shared a private upload folder with you. Let me know if you are able to access the folder.

Regards,

Message 6 of 11
c.kofidis

Hi there!

I think I found the solution to my problem.

I should have unticked the "Export IFC common property sets".

For a reason I do not know, it looks like those two options don't work properly together when it comes to exporting columns and generic models.

IFC OptionsIFC Options

Message 7 of 11
Viveka_CD

Hi @c.kofidis

In IFC export settings, there are different options for IFC export property sets, export IFC common property sets, export Revit property sets, and export user-defined property sets. 
Please click HERE to know the difference between all these options. 

See article on Exporting ifc – creating user defined ifc property sets

Let me know if that helps!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question. Kudos welcome!

Regards,

Message 8 of 11
c.kofidis

Thanks for sharing those posts.

That article was a great help when I tried to go deeper into ifc export options.

However, the article is meant to work for a revit family rather than for a revit model and maybe that is why it didn't work 100% in my case. 

Thus, it is worth mentioning that in some cases we might need to select only 1 option for the property sets as more of them might conflict with each other.

Thanks,

Christos

Message 9 of 11
Viveka_CD

Hi @c.kofidis

I'm glad to hear you find the article helpful.

Yes, I agree regarding the property sets and options, I forward this to the article management team. Thanks for mentioning this!

Regards,

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 11
Viveka_CD

@c.kofidis

Here are a couple of videos that demonstrate some Revit IFC workflows:

1) Property set options

2) IFC data mapping

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have additional questions!

Regards,

Message 11 of 11
Otoolehv

Have the instructions for adding IFC Parameters to families changed for the Revit 2021 version? I tried to follow along on with these instructions previously posted but they are not mapping in the fields and seem to missing steps.

My overall issue is elements not being included in an IFC export. A family under the generic model category is missing from the export. It is marked as IFCBuildingElementProxy in the IFC Options but not mapping to the exported file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report