Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit server connection problems

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
drzepka1
2102 Views, 8 Replies

Revit server connection problems

Hello everyone! I am a student and created my own Revit server for a collaborative school project. I Set up the the 2016 server with all the prerequisites, and the RSN.INI files are the same across the two machines. On my local network I can access my server, but when i am on a different network, and connected to the server through the accelerator, I can see the server, but can not access it to open or save files. Any help would be appreciated for this problem. Let me know if more information is needed. I checked the premissions and everything seems fine. 

-Dylan

Here is my Local journal entry of the problem:

'E 01-Feb-2016 12:25:11.385; 0:<
Jrn.Command "StartupPage" , "Open an existing project , ID_REVIT_FILE_OPEN"
' 0:< ::8:: Delta VM: Avail -68 -> 134183033 MB, Used +4 -> 380 MB, Peak +3 -> 381 MB; RAM: Avail +3 -> 3751 MB, Used +12 -> 481 MB, Peak +9 -> 481 MB
' 0:< ModelPath Created: Is server path = True, Central server = "RevitServer", Path = ""
' 0:< ModelPath Created: Is server path = True, Central server = "RevitServer", Path = ""
' 0:< Operation - RSEnterpriseClientInterop->listServerSubFoldersAndModels: SessionToken: User's Name Dylan, User's Machine Name DESKTOP-6LCES34, Operation GUID 61df44be-f3cd-4250-8b5c-b6254599710f
' 0:< Time: 2/1/2016 12:25:14:944 Calling: ListSubFoldersAndModels
' 0:< ::8:: Delta VM: Avail -3 -> 134183030 MB, Used +0 -> 381 MB; RAM: Avail +40 -> 3791 MB, Used +3 -> 484 MB, Peak +3 -> 484 MB
' 0:< Retry Count: 0 . Caught exception:
' 0:< Autodesk.RevitServer.Enterprise.Common.ClientServer.Helper.Exceptions.ProxyGenerationException: A problem occurred generating a proxy for the client action, Client Action = BasicAction, Target Node = RevitServer, Binding Name = tcpbuffer
' 0:< System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: No DNS entries exist for host revitserver.
' 0:< System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No such host is known
' 0:< Time: 2/1/2016 12:25:17:781 Calling: ListSubFoldersAndModels
' 0:< Retry Count: 1 . Caught exception:
' 0:< Autodesk.RevitServer.Enterprise.Common.ClientServer.Helper.Exceptions.ProxyGenerationException: A problem occurred generating a proxy for the client action, Client Action = BasicAction, Target Node = RevitServer, Binding Name = tcpbuffer
' 0:< System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: No DNS entries exist for host revitserver.
' 0:< ModelPath Created: Is server path = True, Central server = "", Path = ""
'C 01-Feb-2016 12:25:20.079; 0:< Other Communication Exception while interacting with Revit Server. Please contact technical support.
' 0:< TaskDialog "This operation could not be completed. Please try again."
'Id : TaskDialog_Operation_Could_Not_Be_Completed
'CommonButtons : Close

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dzanta
in reply to: drzepka1

i would check any physical hardware firewalls installed on that other network.

i would check software firewalls on your computer and the server on that other network.

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Community | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 3 of 9
drzepka1
in reply to: dzanta

I have disabled the firewall on the server, and on my workstation on the other network. Sadly this other network is a university network, and may have something to do with it. I will test from a coffee shop later to find out if it works from there.

Any other problems that could be causing this?

-Dylan

Message 4 of 9
dzanta
in reply to: drzepka1

9 times out of 10, this is due to a firewall setting or hardware appliance that is blocking the communication.

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Community | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 5 of 9
johan.cantryn
in reply to: dzanta

Hi,

We've got the same problem but only on 1 workstation (out of 3).

These 3 workstation are directly connected to the host.

From the affected workstation:

We can ping the host.

Firewall exception is made for File and Printsharing

Port 80 and 808 are open

Latency and bandwith are ok

We can use the Revit Server admin tool to access the host

IDCM request are allowed to pass the firewall

System names are consistent between LAN and WAN

IP adresses are consistent between LAN and WAN

RSN.INI is present

Roles and Webservices on the server are installed and running

RevitServerAppPool and Autosync Service are Up and Running

IIS Default web site is started

Message 6 of 9

Hi Dylan,

Looks like a DNS problem.

Can you ping (or Tracert) the system with it's name (i.e. 'ping RevitServer')

If you can reach it with the ip-adress but not the name, you might be able to fix the issue by adding it to the host file on your system (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts)

Lars-Ake Johansson
Sr. SQA Engineer
Message 7 of 9

I fixed my problem. As it turns out, my RSN.ini file was wrong. I had the server's name in the file, but not the address of the server. Fixing this corrected my problem. 

-Dylan

Message 8 of 9

Hi,

OK,

Sound like a different solution to the same problem - unable to resolve the host with the DNS-name......

Good you found a way to fix it.

Lars-Ake Johansson
Sr. SQA Engineer
Message 9 of 9

I my case Revit 2015 UR1 was installed. Autodesk support confirmed me that there are Revit Server Issues with this build. See: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles...

They adviced me to install UR12 but in meantime we installed an older build an yes the problem was solved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report