Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Link visibility settings reset to host model when linked model is reloaded

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Josh.Granger
762 Views, 12 Replies

Revit Link visibility settings reset to host model when linked model is reloaded

Hello. I am having an issue with my view templates and Revit link files. I am working on a large project with several linked contract models. However these linked models are being changed frequently. Each time I reload them, all of the custom visibility settings I have set in my view templates are being reset back to host model. This is becoming a major headache. If anyone has any ideas on how to lock these settings in, so they don't get reset every time the link is reloaded, it would be greatly appreciated. The project is in Revit 2020 by the way.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
RSomppi1
in reply to: Josh.Granger

The updated models need to have the same name. I do this by renaming the outdated ones, upload the new ones and match the old name, then delete the renamed ones.

Message 3 of 13
708Designs

Why don't you save those visibility settings as your own customized view
templates. Reload links and then just apply that customized view template
to the linked files. Might be mundane but at least better than redoing the
settings over and over per link.
Message 4 of 13
ToanDN

Are you using Reload or Reload From?

Message 5 of 13
Josh.Granger
in reply to: 708Designs

I did consider that, but I am unaware of a way to export or save a view template. I know you can transfer them between projects, so I was thinking about making a dummy project just to store the templates in so I could transfer them back and forth. Still trying to decide if that would be worth it or not. 

Message 6 of 13
Josh.Granger
in reply to: ToanDN

We have been using Reload.
Message 7 of 13
RSomppi1

@Josh.Granger wrote:

Each time I reload them

Tell us the entire workflow for updating the models.

Message 8 of 13
Josh.Granger
in reply to: RSomppi1

We upload the new files to BIM 360 with the same name as the original, and 360 then versions it. I think this accomplishes what you are saying, unless I am misunderstanding, which is quite possible.
Message 9 of 13
RSomppi1

Are you getting any warnings when you update? Are the files workshared? Are you collaborating them for use on BIM360?

Are you just overwriting the file? Believe it or not, Revit doesn't like that. You need to rename the existing file and then upload the new file with the same name as the original.

Message 10 of 13
Josh.Granger

Ok. On 360 docs we have a contract version of each design model, as well as a scrubbed version for our purposes. When the contract model is updated, we download it, and 'work temporarily' with the model to scrub it. The scrubbed model is then saved named as the contract model with '_detatched'. Our working model is then uploaded to 360. When uploaded, 360 versions our working model. Once the upload is complete, we reload our working model in Revit from the manage links tab.
Message 11 of 13
Josh.Granger

Oh ok, I understand what you are saying now. To answer your questions; I am not getting warnings when I update, the files are workshared, and used for collaboration on 360. Next time we do this (which will likely be soon), I will try your suggestion of renaming the files. Hopefully that does the trick and I can mark this as solved. Thank you for the suggestion!
Message 12 of 13
Josh.Granger

It worked! Kind of strange, feels like tricking Revit kind of, but it does the job. Thank you so much!
Message 13 of 13
RSomppi1

Yeah, cumbersome at best. It is a useful trick, though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report