Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit does not see folder structure of BIM 360 Team Hub

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
garypyles
1681 Views, 7 Replies

Revit does not see folder structure of BIM 360 Team Hub

I have an issue with the way BIM 360 folders are displayed when opening or saving projects in Revit Collaboration.

• Folders created under a project in BIM 360 through the web portal do not show up in Revit when trying to save a cloud-collaborated project, only the parent project can be seen.
    • The project from Revit can be uploaded to the project and then you must go to BIM 360 and move it from the project level to the subordinate folder level.
  • This is also an issue when opening a project in Revit from the BIM 360 cloud
    • The project file, when stored in a subordinate folder, is shown as residing in the parent BIM 360 Project location. This can be confusing.

For us our folder structure typically looks like this:

• Project Group ( Year)
    •  Project number/name ( could refer to a single project or multiple links or sites)
      • Link # (a group of related sites)
        • Site, individual project (Revit Project files resides here)

It would be nice to be able to see this structure when opening and saving files in Revit.  If am missing something or need to adjust a setting please let me know.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cesar.escalante
in reply to: garypyles

That is the current behavior by design.  C4R lumps all files into a single dynamic bucket and does not read a folder structure.    Use a file naming convention that has the ability to sort files alphabetically by a discipline. 

Message 3 of 8
AdamPeter

@garypyles This video is a little off topic but it does explain how there are actually two different storage areas for Collaboration for Revit (C4R) and BIM 360 Team.  The C4R service just houses all the project models in one location (you see that in the Revit "Open" dialog box) however BIM 360 Team allows for folder structure similar to what you are used to on local servers.  You can create folder structure on BIM 360 Team and move published versions of Models into those folders and C4R will publish to the new location thereafter, but the C4R service itself only has one area for all the models in the project.  

thanks,

Adam Peter
Customer Program Manager
Autodesk
Message 4 of 8
garypyles
in reply to: AdamPeter

Thank you very much for the reply. I realize this and it is a terrible way to collaborate. C4R needs to address this immediately, Revit Server handles sub-folder structures with ease, no second thoughts. I would say in this case C4R is not collaborating very well with what is supposed to be a native & related program, BIM 360 Team. Strange since BIM 360 Team comes with C4R. Is this an oversight on Autodesk's part or is there a technology gap preventing what seems like should be a primary consideration when it comes to file storage? A little cloudy in this cloud.

Message 5 of 8
garypyles
in reply to: cesar.escalante

Thank you very much for the reply.  I realize this and it is a terrible way to collaborate.  C4R needs to address this immediately, Revit Server handles sub-folder structures with ease, no second thoughts.  I would say in this case C4R is not collaborating very well with what is supposed to be a native & related program, BIM 360 Team.  Strange since BIM 360 Team comes with C4R.  Is this an oversight on Autodesk’s part or is there a technology gap preventing what seems like should be a primary consideration when it comes to file storage?  A little cloudy in this cloud.

Message 6 of 8
AdamPeter

There were definitely some constraints the development team had to work with and I realize it's less than ideal.  There are certainly many areas for improvements and this is one area we are putting thought into to make the end experience better.  Thanks for the feedback!

Adam Peter
Customer Program Manager
Autodesk
Message 7 of 8
garypyles

I realize that a software solution can not be everything for everyone every time.  However, C4R in this case seems a little half-baked and needs more development.

Message 8 of 8
alikhalfan5059

I agree with the questioner that it is a terrible way of collaborating through CR4.

What happens in my case when I have more than 50 models to sort out? What happens when I want to collaborate a new project in the correct destination folder? What I am doing right now is to move the file manually on the web. Autodesk needs to address this quickly because I am holding back using CR4 in our company of 33+ employees until this is fixed.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report