Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Cloud Backup

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
ambrosio.gomezC988N
4679 Views, 19 Replies

Revit Cloud Backup

Hi there,

Revit on tbr cloud does not create local files and automatically does not create backups from the live Revit folder as any of companies server does.

In your own company backups of your server is done often to avoid lose information which allow to come back on time.

As the client who rent/buy a Autodesk little space in Cloud server to use BIM360 seems we cannot do that anymore.

I could not find a way to create automatic backup from the host. The only solution I found is to publish manually the files to have a new version stored in the website.

Surely it must be a smarter way to do so, can it be shared with me please?

Thank you very much.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Hello @ambrosio.gomezC988N and thank you for the post!

There are a couple of approaches you can take with regard to backup.  First, if you have a model open, you can do a saveas and keep that local.  Not automated, I know, but it's one approach.  Second, you can now schedule publishes from the Project Admin page.  This can at least help automate getting SWC versions on the web site.  I know there is Forge API available to automate downloading files from the project locally as well so I know it can be done with some programming effort.  

schedule Publish.png

There is also a local cache kept when you open files (C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\]Revit Version]\CollaborationCache), but this can get a little cumbersome to look through because it names the folders and files by their project and model GUIDs used behind the scenes.  It can be discovered with a little investigation into the journal files, but the point is if you are disconnected from the cloud or something else happens where you need a local file, they can be recovered.  

I understand this may not be the fully automated approach you are looking for and I would like to better understand exactly what you need.  Perhaps you could expand on the workflow you were hoping to see?  Perhaps the ability to download a previous SWC version or something along those lines?  You can also look through the shared Ideas or create one that can get voted on and perhaps implemented as well.

thanks again for reaching out!

Adam Peter
Customer Program Manager
Autodesk
Message 3 of 20

Hi,

Thank you for you answer.

Could you please kindly send me link or location where a can schedule publish models in BIM doc? It would be great.

I cannot find it in Project Admin I am afraid.

Thank you very much.
Message 4 of 20

Here is a link to the help file that describes how to use the new functionality.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/BIM360D/ENU/?guid=BIM360D_Design_Collaboration_to_schedule_regular_pu...

thanks,

Adam Peter
Customer Program Manager
Autodesk
Message 5 of 20
adrian_worboys
in reply to: AdamPeter

Following this topic.  It would be great if we can backup direct from C4R area rather than having to do this scheduled publish.

Message 6 of 20

@@adrian.worboy wrote:

Following this topic.  It would be great if we can backup direct from C4R area rather than having to do this scheduled publish.

First off, every SWC version of a model is automatically backed up in Revit Cloud Worksharing, and available for restore in a disaster recovery scenario (corruption, unwanted modifications, etc).  That's been part of the service for years, and nothing you need to do to enable it.

We also know that many companies want to locally backup data for various reasons, and Adam has illuminated a number of workflows to accomplish this.

@adrian_worboys can you elaborate a bit on what you are trying to accomplish with your request to "backup direct to from the C4R area"?  What versions do you want to backup, and where do you want them backed up?

A technical context for this is that RCW services don't actually contain .RVT files for live models.  For performance reasons, binary chunks called Element Streams are actually stored for the Live Models.  Those are what make their way across the interwebs (256-bit encrypted) between Revit and RCW services.  If you want a .RVT from RCW, you need to ask it to "Publish" the Model Version, which will assemble the Element Streams into an RVT, and then declare that up on BIM 360 for viewing.

Cheers,

Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 20

Thanks for responding @KyleB_Autodesk.

We had been using the Revit Server for many years, and have recently switched to BIM360/C4R.  When we had been using the RS, our IT department had set it up so that a backup was automatically created/stored on a different local server depending on the location.  So I am assuming the 'element streams' are the same for RS and C4R.

I have been told that the revit model lives on the locked skyscraper API prior to publishing.  Once the model is published is moves to the 'unlocked' BIM360 area.

Rather than relying on the cloud to keep backups, we would like to keep a copy on our local server.  Hence my comment. It would be good to be able to backup from the skyscraper space rather than relying on the BIM360 cloud (and the new publish feature) as the backup location.

Also, sometimes when you 'restore' a model, you want to actually check it before it becomes a new working model.  Currently your help file says:

Important: When you restore a previous version of the model, that version becomes the current version, and all of the more recent versions are deleted. When you use the Restore action to delete versions of the model, there is no way to undo that action. 

Being able to make a copy of this model for review before you make it the current version would be helpful.

Regards,
Adrian

Message 8 of 20

"So I am assuming the 'element streams' are the same for RS and C4R."

Indeed they are.

"It would be good to be able to backup from the skyscraper space rather than relying on the BIM360 cloud (and the new publish feature) as the backup location."

Using the Publish API and then the Forge DM API is the most effective way to do this in an automated way, and is effectively what you're asking for here.  There isn't really a location within Cloud Worksharing where the actual RVT file lives, just the Element Streams, so the BIM 360 data space + the Forge DM APIs that access it are way to go.

"Being able to make a copy of this model for review before you make it the current version would be helpful."

We agree.  It's in the backlog.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 20

Thank you for that.

I was looking more as at least one per day. Weekly is not good enough.

I mean I can do manually updating latest through the website or just from a Revit file however I was expecting something better??

I guess everyone agree we are missing a feature here??

Thanks 

Message 10 of 20

I agree, a daily option would be good.

Thanks

Message 11 of 20

@ambrosio.gomezC988N and @adrian_worboys, your last comments refer to Scheduled Publish it sounds. We are thinking about changing the publish options, so I want to understand your comment of 'at least once per day' better. 

What is the goal of that workflow, and why is that important to your projects? 

Thanks for clarification, 

Markus

Markus Briglmeir, Product Manager BIM 360 Design Collaboration

Message 12 of 20

hi @markus_briglmeir.

The main reason is potential loss of work.  Say you had 5 people working on a project for a full day, times by 5 days in the week, then you have a crash, or someone modelled something incorrectly and you want to go back, then you have potentially 25 working days lost (worst case).  Often this is happening over large geographical regions.  So ease of recovery is paramount.

Yes, I understand that I have painted a slightly incorrect picture in that you can recover some items for the users collaborationcache area, but the naming of those files is unusable. 

Regards,

Adrian

Message 13 of 20

Totally agreed with Adrian.

Same reasons.

Ragards

Message 14 of 20

@adrian_worboys wrote:

hi @markus_briglmeir.

The main reason is potential loss of work.  Say you had 5 people working on a project for a full day, times by 5 days in the week, then you have a crash, or someone modelled something incorrectly and you want to go back, then you have potentially 25 working days lost (worst case).  Often this is happening over large geographical regions.  So ease of recovery is paramount.

Yes, I understand that I have painted a slightly incorrect picture in that you can recover some items for the users collaborationcache area, but the naming of those files is unusable. 

Regards,

Adrian

It seems like all that's missing here is the ability to open a previous version of a model as "detached" from Revit Cloud Worksharing.  All the extra publishing seems extraneous if you just want access to previous versions of your models, which RCW already provides (albeit with limitations you'd want us to resolve).

Am I missing anything?

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 20

@KyleB_Autodesk

That sounds about right.  If we can access the RCW side before it goes across to BIM360, and be able to grab older versions of a model (without permanently rolling back) that would be ideal. 

Probably better than publishing as it would remove the publish step.

Thanks

Message 16 of 20

Just joining this discussion.  Our firm is just starting to use BIM 360 in earnest.  Now that we have about five major projects running in BIM 360 Design, we're starting to realize some of these critical limitations.  The fact that we cannot restore a detached copy is probably our most critical problem followed closely by the inability to automate backups to local servers.  I've had a number of people come to me in the last week, looking to restore objects that were inadvertently deleted from the project file.  On Revit Server projects, we would simply restore a detached copy from our 3x-daily server backup (assuming no local copies exist for the time period we needed).  I understand that Autodesk has built a backup system, but it is almost useless unless there is also some way to restore detached copies.  And like others in this thread, I agree that BIM 360's backup systems in no way obviates our need to have locally stored backups at defined (daily, or multiple times daily) intervals.  

Message 17 of 20

Hi All - 

Bringing life again to an old thread. Was there ever a resolution on this? We too are looking for a way to create locally stored backups at defined intervals. 

Thanks so much! 

Message 18 of 20
fluke0
in reply to: JPrashaw1

One other issue to think about. If data was lost on the BIM 360 platform (ie something was not retrievable for BIM 360) is Autodesk liable?  Does Autodesk guarantee the safety of our data?  I would like to mitigated the risk of Autodesk failing at protecting our data.  I have no control over how Autodesk protects my data, I would like to automatically bring my data down from the cloud as a extra "insurance policy" on data loss. If I bring it down locally I have some control over it.  I really don't understand why Autodesk doesn't see the need for this.  Autodesk has full access to our data, all we are asking is the same control. 

Tags (2)
Message 19 of 20
fluke0
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

One other issue to think about. If data was lost on the BIM 360 platform (ie something was not retrievable for BIM 360) is Autodesk liable?  Does Autodesk guarantee the safety of our data?  I would like to mitigated the risk of Autodesk failing at protecting our data.  I have no control over how Autodesk protects my data, I would like to automatically bring my data down from the cloud as a extra "insurance policy" on data loss. If I bring it down locally I have some control over it.  I really don't understand why Autodesk doesn't see the need for this.  Autodesk has full access to our data, all we are asking is the same control.

Message 20 of 20
bistechrn
in reply to: JPrashaw1

I want to 'ditto' this post.

Is there any update on how all of this can work?

It seems that the ability to access old data from old files is much more onerous than it used to be. 

Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report