Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2017 is not responding

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
RunoTed
773 Views, 8 Replies

Revit 2017 is not responding

I've tried opening Revit many times yesterday, & it opened-ish. Whenever I wanted to open an existing or new file, Revit 2017 freezes, & says "Not Responding". I've force-closed many times, & opened it again. The same things happens repeatedly. I waited a long time for a file to open. It never opens, but just freezes. I thought it was my laptop being hot. That's not the cause. I tried opening my file on a different computer. The file opened beautifully & I could work on it.

What's weird is that I've been using Revit 2017 on my laptop for some months. It has opened & worked successfully, & I haven't made any major changes to my laptop. So, I'm frustrated with this problem. I hope there's someone else who's had this problem too.

I don't know if I have to uninstall Revit 2017 & re-install it. What should I do?

Emmanuel

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi Emmanuel,

- Does this happen on a particular file does the same happen on any file?

- Is this a local file or a C4R file?

Opening for example a C4R file for the first time on a computer can take a long time - depending on the size of the file and the speed of your internet - so Revit can in this case actually working downloading the file even if it seems unresponsive.

Could you post a Revit journal here (or PM it to me) from when Revit become unresponsive and I will try to figure out what it is doing when that happens.

Regards

Lars-Ake Johansson
Sr. SQA Engineer
Message 3 of 9

Hello @lars-ake.johansson. Thank you for replying.

I can't open any existing file. I can't even open a new file with Revit 2017.

I've tried opening Revit many times yesterday, & it opened-ish. I downloaded & installed the Service Pack 2 for Revit 2017. I opened it, & it "seemed" to do something. It didn't solve my problem. I also tried the 'Repair' option, when I thought of uninstalling Revit 2017. So far, the same thing happens.

Whenever I wanted to open an existing or new file, EVEN A NEW FILE, Revit 2017 freezes, & says "Not Responding". I've force-closed many times, & opened it again. The same things happens repeatedly. I waited a long time for a file to open. It never opens, but just freezes. I thought it was my laptop being hot. That's not the cause. I tried opening my file on a different computer. The file opened beautifully & I could work on it.

What's weird is that I've been using Revit 2017 on my laptop for some months. It has opened & worked successfully, & I haven't made any major changes to my laptop. So, I'm frustrated with this problem. I hope there's someone else who's had this problem too.

I don't know if I have to uninstall Revit 2017 & re-install it. What should I do?

Emmanuel

Message 4 of 9

HI,

Could you post the latest Revit journal file here?

You can find the journal files in: "C:\Users\[your windows profile]\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 2017\Journals" and they are named "journal.####.txt" (where #### is a sequential number)

Regards

Lars-Ake Johansson
Sr. SQA Engineer
Message 5 of 9

Hi @lars-ake.johansson,

Here is my latest Revit journal file.

Message 6 of 9

Hi,

This seems to be display related, it looks like it's hanging on trying to figure out your display dpi:

' 0:< GContext::getDefaultDpi(): s_defaultDpi = 96 

Did you by any chance change the desktop scaling (DPI) on your display?

Revit will have issues if you set this scaling to a value over 150%.....

Regards

Lars-Ake Johansson
Sr. SQA Engineer
Message 7 of 9

It turns out I was tinkering with the video display settings on my laptop, just out of curiousity. Revit 2017 wasn't open at the time. I was tinkering with the Intel HD Graphics display settings, but I put all the settings back to default. What display settings would make Revit 2017 work, if this is causing the problem?

I didn't touch the display scaling. What display settings are causing the problem?

Message 8 of 9

Good morning, @lars-ake.johansson,

Here's my latest Revit journal file. I hope you have seen my previous e-mail. What seems to be the problem this time? How do I restore whatever change I may have made, so that this problem is solved?

Sincerely,

Emmanuel Urhie

Message 9 of 9

Hi,

It's still hanging at the same point in the journal.

Most likely you did 1. not restore all back to the default or 2. a change you made changes some other setting as well that didn't got set back to it's original setting when you restored your changes.

Did you reboot the system? Some times settings don't take affect until you reboot.

Do you remember what settings you changed?

Was it in the Intel Control Panel or the Nvidia Control Panel (or both)?

Regards

Lars-Ake Johansson
Sr. SQA Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report