Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2017 fails to print to PDF

218 REPLIES 218
SOLVED
Message 1 of 219
MattFried
93899 Views, 218 Replies

Revit 2017 fails to print to PDF

When i try to print to PDF the loading bar either freezes or doesn't start up at all, no pdf's being made. I mainly use "multiple selected views/sheets into a single file" option.

I tried the long route by creating seperate pdf files to combine after, but even some single pdf sheets aren't being made! I've lowered the resolution and all that as well with no solution. SOO FRUSTRATING, i can't send drawing sets to clients...

Every new version of Revit comes with new bugs and issues its very frustrating....

Please help.

218 REPLIES 218
Message 201 of 219
arthur
in reply to: Anonymous

i've been successful printing single page and multipage PDF files after doing a print preview.

"print preview" is THE first thing i do before doing anything else. it doesn't matter if the default is set to Adobe PDF or our house printer, "print preview" FIRST.

THEN i will set up my print task whether it's to PDF or printer, single files per sheet/view or combine, blah blah blah. have not had an issue.  it's a stupid workaround, but if AutoDesk hasn't been able to fix the issue, i'll stick to previewing first.

as a side note, i am using Adobe PDF straight out of the box (Autodesk).  no aftermarket program.

Message 202 of 219
mchristop
in reply to: arthur

I believe (Correct me if i'm wrong) Adobe PDF is only available if you have Adobe Acrobat installed on your computer.  Adobe Acrobat IS a 3rd party software.  It is not included with Revit.

Message 203 of 219
arthur
in reply to: mchristop

couldn't tell ya. all i know that i can print without any issues to PDF or an in house printer - after previewing - without resorting to downloading "cute PDF" or "hello kitty PDF" or any of the other myriad of PDF programs. 

just wishing we don't have to do a print preview workaround first and go right to printing.

Message 204 of 219
rspierenburg

Has this ever been fixed?  Running Revit 2018 with Acrobat Pro XI, printing single sheet works IF you preview before hitting print, batch printing as a combined pdf just brings up the "Creating Adobe PDF" window but progress bar goes nowhere and the only option is to click "Hide" and continue on your way.

The SOLUTION posted earlier in this forum was that Autodesk is aware that this is an issue and that it will be fixed in a later edition, I'm guessing from the timeline of this thread that was back when 2017 was released.  The link referred to in the SOLUTION now leads to a dead page which to me means that either they thought they fixed the issue, couldn't be bothered to fix the issue and just hope nobody notices or have no clue how to fix the issue and just hope nobody notices.

Robert

Message 205 of 219
andybrack
in reply to: rspierenburg

I have tested in Revit 2018 and it no, it was not fixed. Will be starting with Revit 2019 here shortly so I will let you know.

-Andy

Message 206 of 219
Anonymous
in reply to: MattFried

no big issue

1-just go to Control Panel Items in windows

2-go to Devices and Printers

3-select printer and right click 

4-then select set as default printer

open your revit then give command of print.

now be happy and enjoy

thanks 

regard

Rizwan Mohammad

Message 207 of 219
vewright

Been there. Done that. Not a solution!
Message 208 of 219
Anonymous
in reply to: thardy79

Hello, 

I have Revit 2018 and I don't have the print Pdf Option.

Message 209 of 219
Anonymous

You're my hero. Solved the problem. Thank you!!!!

Message 210 of 219
vaughn
in reply to: Zsolt.Varga

SO THE INCIDENT WAS REPORTED BACK IN 2016 AND HERE I AM USING REVIT 2020 AND STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.

THIS REALLY SUCKS AUTODESK.... PDF ISSUE IS A BASIC REQUIREMENT AND I HAVE JUST WASTED 1HR TRYING TO PDF SOME **** DRAWINGS... STILL WITH NO SUCCESS SO NOW TRAWLING THROUGH FORUMS TRYING TO SORT IT OUT FOR MYSELF. I'M A DESIGNER NOT A SOFTWARE DEVELOPER.

AUTODESK PLEASE SORT THIS.

Message 211 of 219
colincargill
in reply to: vaughn

Given the stunning lack of action on this issue and the degree of frustration it generates, we have to consider the following possibilities:

1. Autodesk won’t commit the resources needed to solve this.
2. Autodesk does not really care what we users think.
3. There’s nothing we can do about it other than buying shares in Autodesk. At least then our frustration is balanced by dividends received.
Message 212 of 219
Anonymous
in reply to: vaughn

The problem is with Acrobat CC.
We switched to BlueBeam and I would never go back.
All the time and effort I wasted with Acrobat is unreasonable.
I agree with you completely in that Autodesk should provide a native
driver. Autocad offers several native drivers so why revit does not is
annoying.
Message 213 of 219
troy_troy

Just an update.

Revit 2020.2 Will plot multipage packages to a single Adobe PDF with the following in print settings/ Adobe PDF Properties:

- Adobe PDF Output Folder must be defined and not 'Prompt for Adobe PDF Filename'

- Uncheck 'Rely on system fonts only; do not use document fonts

- 'Combine multiple selected views/sheets into a single file' and click 'Close'

- 'Print Preview' then print from there.

Message 214 of 219
mpa-marc
in reply to: Zsolt.Varga

Has this issue been solved yet?  I got a “Page not found” when I selected the link. If solved please share solution. Thanks 

Message 215 of 219
upwall_design
in reply to: mpa-marc

As far as I can tell, it has not.  for me, it works to print using  ctrl+P instead of using the file menu-print.  

Message 216 of 219
lionzay_123

hi I have a same trouble! so what you must to do is.....when you open print screen and every is freeze. you just need to select print machine and then click ok. after that save file pdf test to anywhere you like. do this 2 times and you can print normal. hope it can help you bro

Message 217 of 219
Anonymous
in reply to: lionzay_123

I just use CutePDF instead of Acrobat. That way I don't have to make the
extra steps. When you pay as much as you have to for Revit it should work
out of the box without having to jump through any hoopes. Printing is an
essential function and should work like every other software program on the
planet.
Message 218 of 219
Anonymous

Someone in my office had this issue and found out that just simply doing a print preview before printing allowed the print to go through. It's not the solution but a quick fix if in dire need.  

Message 219 of 219
rspierenburg

That works fine for single PDFs, but unfortunately you cannot preview combined/multi-sheet pdfs which is where I seem to have the most problems with.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report