Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2017 fails to print to PDF

218 REPLIES 218
SOLVED
Message 1 of 219
MattFried
93902 Views, 218 Replies

Revit 2017 fails to print to PDF

When i try to print to PDF the loading bar either freezes or doesn't start up at all, no pdf's being made. I mainly use "multiple selected views/sheets into a single file" option.

I tried the long route by creating seperate pdf files to combine after, but even some single pdf sheets aren't being made! I've lowered the resolution and all that as well with no solution. SOO FRUSTRATING, i can't send drawing sets to clients...

Every new version of Revit comes with new bugs and issues its very frustrating....

Please help.

218 REPLIES 218
Message 181 of 219
Anonymous
in reply to: colincargill

I first uninstalled all my Revit as well as all the programs in windows
that said Revit so there was no trace of revit or all those applications
that autodesk loads that they are promoting but I never use. I also
remove the "c:\autodesk" folder that contained the previous downloads of
Revit. I then opened the download manager and deleted the pointer to the
previous installations so I was sure I was downloading and installing a new
version of revit and not just reinstalling the previously downloaded
version. Then reinstalled Revit. Now I can print the first time without
any workaround. So I have found a solution for my laptop.
Message 182 of 219
Anonymous
in reply to: MattFried

I have no more printing problems in Revit 2017 when I just do these two things before printing:

1. Disable "Rely on system fonts only, do not use document fonts" in Print dialog's Properties.

2. ALWAYS take print preview before printing. Always.

Message 183 of 219
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

In my experience, print preview is not an option for printing sheet sets to PDF.
Message 184 of 219
andybrack

KEITHFIX6445,

Yes, you are correct. Best process is to simply pick a single sheet and preview that first. I make it a habit to click the 'Current Window' option under Print Range and hit the preview button. Once the preview window comes up hit the Print button which closes the preview and takes you back to the Print Dialog Box. Then pick all the other print options including your 'Selected Views / Sheets'. Works like a charm for me. Just need to change your old habits.

I agree with all the other people posting that this should be fixed by Autodesk considering the magnitude. We print multiple times a day when working on projects. So even this simple workaround eats up time. For what it's worth, I don't have the same issue using the Bluebeam Add-in using Revit 2017. Haven't had a chance to test yet on 2018 or 2019.

-Andy Brack

Message 185 of 219
Anonymous
in reply to: andybrack

That makes another vote for Bluebeam. I guess I'll switch.

Off-topic: Do Bluebeam users have any regrets regarding Revit integration?
Message 186 of 219
mchristop

KEITHFIX6445,

Other than Blubeam's price increases?...  No. We use Bluebeam CAD and the Add-in for Revit.  I don't use the Revit print dialogue anymore.  Bluebeam works for us, but I can't help but wonder if someone at Autodesk is getting a kickback from Bluebeam for not fixing this problem.

Message 187 of 219
ToanDN
in reply to: mchristop

I use both Adobe and Bluebeam, don't have issues with either. Bluebeam has more options such as line merge and transparency so it is my preference.
Message 188 of 219
Anonymous

I believe you are correct print preview is only an option when printing a
single sheet.
Message 189 of 219
sasha.crotty
in reply to: andybrack

I can confirm that this issue has been under extensive investigation by our development team - the lack of a solution is not due to lack of effort or interest, but because, to date, we have not been able to reproduce this issue (except for one case I'll mention below).

I made an appeal a little over 8 months ago asking for your help. I hope that everyone posting in this thread has answered the call to action to help us identify why how your configuration differs from those that are not experiencing the problem. If you haven't, I invite you do so now and include all the requested information. The more information we have the faster we'll be able to pin down the issue.

Regarding the one case I mentioned above, in the last few days we were able to reproduce one situation (if you print when you have a Schedule as your active view) where there appears to be a similar experience. Our team is investigating this case and we'll provide a fix if there's something that can be addressed in Revit. I'd be curious to know how many of you are impacted by this specific issue or if you are also seeing the behavior when other views are active as well. From the posts here I expect the latter, but it would be good to validate.

Thanks,

Sasha

Sasha Crotty
Director, AEC Design Data

Message 190 of 219
Anonymous
in reply to: sasha.crotty

Sasha,
I recall your request from EIGHT months ago. It was obviously a very broad request for VERY detailed information. Since a general solution is not forthcoming, and since most of us have adopted reliable work-arounds already, this is probably the reason for the lack of response to your request. Nonetheless, I will attempt to set aside the many hours I anticipate will be required to work with Autodesk to address this issue sometime during this month.
Message 191 of 219
sasha.crotty

Hi Keith,

I appreciate your willingness to spend some time to help us identify the differences between your system and the machines we have tested it on here. As I mentioned, we have not been able to reproduce the problem after many attempts. The fact that we cannot reproduce it, combined with the fact that it is not consistently experienced by all of our customers printing to Adobe PDF, nor is it reproducible with other products, indicates that this is not a generic problem, although, as evidenced by this thread, it is widespread and clearly very frustrating. Unfortunately, this is the worst kind of problem for a development team as it is close to impossible to fix a problem that we cannot see. 

The reason we ask for all the wide variety of information is that given a series of customer reports we can start to compare this information to see if there is a common thread or a clear difference from the machines we have available to us. With only partial information it is very difficult to narrow down a specific difference, although any info you can provide is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Sasha

Sasha Crotty

Message 192 of 219

Sasha,

I think a better solution that would satisfy all those on this string (as well as ALL Revit users) would be to create a method to publish to PDF within Revit without relying on a 3rd party software. This would be similar to AutoCAD's DWG to PDF printer or publish option, which, in my opinion, creates better PDFs from CAD that using Adobe.  As mentioned in other comments above, creating PDFs is an essential Revit function and it is currently being outsourced to other programs.

Message 193 of 219

Hi Josh,

Point taken and thanks for the feedback. If you haven't already done so I recommend voting on this idea so that your vote is counted.

Having a built-in PDF printer is actually quite a significant investment for both initial implementation and long-term maintenance. The possible desired functionalities are so varied that just this part of the functionality is big enough to be a product of its own. Because other products can specialize and focus all their development on PDF printing, and for Revit this is only one feature, any built it PDF export is likely to have a smaller set of features than alternatives. I'm curious what specific functionality you're missing that you'd expect to get from a built-in PDF solution versus one of the free options out there.

Thanks,

Sasha

Sasha Crotty

Message 194 of 219

I believe I have voted for that option, but it still seems to be low on the priority list.

Take AutoCAD for example, and I understand that ACAD is a different language, but the features that I like about from my days before Revit is that I could create a sheet set,put it in the correct order, press publish and DONE.  The PDF would also print cleaner and smaller than Adobe PDF.  

In Revit, I have to hit ctrl+P (because File-Print causes the problems being discussed here.), Choose either the view set I want or check the sheets I want, make sure my print settings are correct, then print,  and after printing, I need to drag files around to put them in the order I want.  For me, I don't necessarily want more options, but a more streamlined process with presets optimized for Revit.

PS  I appreciate your efforts to fix this, but it seems that you are looking for a needle in a haystack where what revit needs is an entire makeover of the print process.

Message 195 of 219
mramirezCP59L
in reply to: Zsolt.Varga

This was happening to me, tried many of the tips here, nothing worked.

Finally I ran a repair install on Revit and that worked like a charm. 

Message 196 of 219
Anonymous
in reply to: mramirezCP59L

I had the same issue & also ran a repair which fixed this problem.

Message 197 of 219
Anonymous
in reply to: thardy79

Having issues with plotting to BlueBeam here, the bar seems to run out and then nothing? Save as window just never pops up!

Message 198 of 219
mchristop

We use the Bluebeam CAD version and the Add-In for Revit, not the Revit Print dialogue.

I am attempting to attach a pdf that shows some of the settings that we use to get consistent results.  They work for us, they might not work for you.  I don't believe Bluebeam Standard has the Revit Add-In, Cad and eXtreme do.

You might want to reach out to Bluebeam Support, they can be quite helpful.

Good Luck!

Message 199 of 219
Anonymous
in reply to: mchristop

Thanks I will look into the blue beam Add-In

It seems as though the problem I am having from the "Revit Print dialogue" is fixing its self if I re boot my PC, for me here at the moment it really is a bit time consuming to shut my entire computer down, but it works somehow 

Message 200 of 219
ToanDN

Use CTRL+P instead of the Print button.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report