Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem linking large acad files

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
alex.callender
367 Views, 8 Replies

Problem linking large acad files

I have to link large Autocad files into my revit 2015 project. Smaller Autocad files work well when linked, but the larger files take for ever to load and slow the project down to the point that it is unworkable.  One would think that revit and autocad would be more compatable.  Is there any solution to this problem?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Cold cashing timing when you open a file for the first time is expected to take some time. I see up to 30 min on a user opening our largest file for the first time.

You should open your file Specifying Worksets rather than open them all. Also review your internet bandwidth rate. We use a 100 Mbs service.

Cesar Escalante

Message 3 of 9

Cold cashing timing when you open a file for the first time is expected to take some time. I see up to 30 min on a user opening our largest file for the first time.

You should open your file Specifying Worksets rather than open them all. Also review your internet bandwidth rate. We use a 100 Mbs service.

Cesar Escalante

Message 4 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: alex.callender

@alex.callender

How large approximately?  Do you mean large in terms of MB or geometry extent?

Message 5 of 9
alex.callender
in reply to: ToanDN

I'm talking 20 to 80 KB in size for autocad files. A microstation file of the same model is 15KB and it links well to my revit model, but it comes in as wireframe and can't be displayed any other way.
Message 6 of 9

Hi Alex,

Thank you for taking your time to post this on the forum, 

That doesn't sounds like something generally happening with file sizes around that size - have you checked that your machine is meeting at least the minimum requirements for the product? 

Best Regards,

Jacob Westergaard

Autodesk Premium Support Team
AEC Premium Support Services
Message 7 of 9

Thank you for your response. My machine exceeds the requirements for the product. As I said, I'm running 2015 revit. When referencing in autocad files they take an extremely long time to load and to manipulate. Large microstation files are much faster, but they only display in wireframe. Microstation use to display properly and I'm not sure what happened to cause this. It could have been when I upgraded to 2015 revit. My guess is that autocad is not very compatible with revit and there is nothing that can be done about it. I'm wondering if a more current version of revit would solve the problem.
Message 8 of 9

Hi again,

Thank you for getting back to me, 

First could we establish what duration you specify as extremely long? It should generally be pretty quick to link/import DWGs into Revit but of cause it all depends on the DWG complexity and size. 

Again, if you would like I would be more than happy to see how the process duration is on my side, 

Best Regards, 

Jacob Westergaard

Autodesk Premium Support Team
AEC Premium Support Services
Message 9 of 9

I opened a new file and linked a 60,000 KB acad file. It came in in about 30 seconds. The file had been created in autocad. I tried linking another acad file which was 73,000 KB and gave up after 7 minutes. This file was exported from Tekla to autocad. There must be elements in it which revit doesn't work with. I have had a similar problem with autocad files exported from smart plant. Is there a way to clean up these exported files?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report