Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paste Aligned Shared Coordinates

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
dennisnelson1322
2396 Views, 23 Replies

Paste Aligned Shared Coordinates

When using shared coordiantes you can't use the paste aligned current view from one project to another becuase it doesn't use the shared coordinates, it used the world coordinates.  

In the attached exmaple SharedCoord1.rvt is refernced into SharedCoord2.rvt with shared coordinates.  If I want to copy the column in file 1 into file 2 it comes into the wrong spot.  

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Here is a video that shows how to achieve that all linked files share the same coordinates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynzrY7kIkIc

Let me know if this information helped you solve the issue!

-Didi

Message 3 of 24

From what I can tell they do share the same coordinates, and still copy pasted aligned doesn't work.

SharedCoord1.rvt].pngSharedCoord2.rvt].png

Message 4 of 24

I understand your column is not appearing in the correct position in your Revit 2015 file. If I open SharedCoord2.rvt and reload SharedCoord1.rvt the column fall in exactly the same location right on the intersection of Grids 1 and 2. However, I'm not sure what you mean by "If I want to copy the column in file 1 into file 2 it comes into the wrong spot". How are copying? Are you Binding in the linked file (as a matter of interest this will still place the column in the correct location). Can you supply more information on your workflow? Example: I'm trying to do this but this is happening, or create a video with Autodesk Screencast. 

Thanks for posting.

Message 5 of 24

I will look at the screencast item, but in the mean time.  Yes the columns line up because the shared coordinates are aligned.  What i am trying to is copy the column from file 1 into file 2 using the paste aligned function.  So I open file 1 copy the column to the clipboard.  Then open file 2 and use the paste aligned to current view tool, and the column gets placed in the wrong location.  It should get pasted in same spot as the referenced file but doesn't.  

Message 6 of 24

Thanks for clarificating your workflow. I contacted development on this and attached this post to the ongoing internal case. Apparently this will require a code change to allow this functionality to work. No date was given on when the changes will be made or released and in the meantime they suggested grouping and moving all the columns as a quicker way of re-aligning them.

I wish I could offer more but at this point I'm not sure I can. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or comments and thanks again for posting. 

Message 7 of 24

Thanks for clarificating your workflow. I contacted development on this and attached this post to the ongoing internal case. Apparently this will require a code change to allow this functionality to work. No date was given on when the changes will be made or released and in the meantime they suggested grouping and moving all the columns as a quicker way of re-aligning them.

I wish I could offer more but at this point I'm not sure I can. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or comments and thanks again for posting. 

Message 8 of 24

Dear,

Until solving this issue by Autodesk, I think there is a smart way; you can link the model into the model where you want to paste. Then copy/Monitor from Collaborate Tab. You can just use copy without Monitoring.

You found a post helpful? Then feel free to give likes to these posts!
Your question got successfully answered? Then just click on the 'Mark as solution' button.

src="https://autodesk.widen.net/content/fbz0l2onhe/png/autodesk-expert-elite-forum-signature-logo.png" >
Mahmoud Zeidan
BIM Manager/Mechanical Engineer
Message 9 of 24

Yes but copy/montior only gets you part way there, as you can't copy everything with it.  In this particulary case I used a column as an example.  I really needed to copy and in-place family from one project to the other, which you can't do with copy/monitor.  If shared coordinates are the perfered way of working seems like paste aligned should work with shared coordinates.  

Message 10 of 24
RDAOU
in reply to: dennisnelson1322

Hello @dennisnelson1322

I am not sure if you are aware that Aligned to Current View (Similar to Align to Selected Views/Levels) DOES NOT envolve same coordinates (X/Y/Z) but only paste to an aligned view meaning same type of view (ie: from plan view to callout plan view...as long as the view it is being pasted into is not the same view it is copied from)...What you need is Align to SAME PLACE (for pasting to exact same coordinates)

BIM/Collaboration: When you have already set up shared coordinates for Host and Link, best would be to use the collaborate feature of Revit ... The normal "Collaboration" workflow would be:

Either: (Considering that your question is posted in the Revit Collaborateion Forum you might as well use the collaborate feature)

1. Activate Copy/Monitor (Coordinate Panel > Collaborate tab)
  2. click Select Link
  3. Pick the Linked model
  4. On the Copy/Monitor tab, click the Copy button (either Single or Multiple depending on number of elements to be copied)
  5. Pick the Column(s)
  6. Click Finish on the copy/monitor "Option Bar" (close any warnings)
  7. Click Finish on the Modify|Copy/Monitor tab in the Ribbon to exit mode

SEE COPY/MONITOR WORKFLOW HERE

SEE COPY ELEMENTS FOR MONITORING HERE

OR:

1. Load the Link with shared coordinates into the Host model (required to use Same Place)
  2. Select the element(s) from the linked model
  3. Ctrl + C to copy to clipboard
  4. Paste Aligned to Same Place (SEE AUTODESK KNOWLEDGE NETWORK REFERENCE HERE)
  5. Once done; you are free to unload the Link

Aligned to Same Place: Pastes the elements into the same place from where you cut or copied them.

This option is useful for pasting elements between worksets or design options. Also, you can use it to paste between 2 files that have shared coordinates.

Edit:

@alan.quinn why would Autodesk add a new code to change Aligned to Current View and make it do the same as an already existing option Aligned to Same Place

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 11 of 24
dennisnelson1322
in reply to: RDAOU

That is good in theory, but paste aligned same place is grey out when you go to paste from one project to another.  Paste Aligned current view is only option you have.SharedCoord3.png

Message 12 of 24
RDAOU

@dennisnelson1322

You missed out on the first line...

OR:

1. Load the Link with shared coordinates into the Host model (required to use Same Place)

PS: you cannot have the linked file (loaded) and opened at the same time...when talking BIM/Collaboration preference is for Linked file with shared coordinates and not two open files (the latter is CAD Thinking). Hence; Close the Sharedcoordinates1.rvt and load the link back in Sharedcoordinates2.rvt

See Screencast below:

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 13 of 24
dennisnelson1322

No the ""SharedCoord1" file is linked into "SharedCoord2" by shared coordiantes, see the images post above.  

Message 14 of 24
RDAOU

@dennisnelson1322

Did you watch the screencast?

Message 15 of 24
dennisnelson1322

Yes I watched the video, and you used the tab select to get select the elements from the linked file, copied it to the clip board and then used pasted aligned same place.  Which works.  

The work flow that I am trying to do is open the file 1 grap a whole bunch of elements and copy them to the clip board.  Then open file 2 and paste all the other elements into the same place.  When you do that you only get paste align current view, which works execpt when you are using shared coordiantes.  

Message 16 of 24
RDAOU

Sorry to say but u r doing it wrong... Both workflow and paste option

Sent from my iPhone

Message 17 of 24
dennisnelson1322

So how do propose I solve my problem.  I need to get a bunch of elements, that aren't part of the copy/monitors list of avaliable items to copy, from one project to another.

Message 18 of 24
RDAOU

@dennisnelson1322

1. Paste to Same Place as shown in the screencast! (You just said it worked! or am I wrong?!)
  2. The other solution is to use Dynamo to get linked elements FROM LINKED/LOADED model and paste them to host model same place (it's a pretty much easy code but I am not sure you would be able to tackle this one if you are unable to manage with the first...)

No way around having the model linked and loaded...Working with two separate files and using Aligned to Current View is not an option! it is not even an arguement! In simple words that is does not fall under Collaboration

Edit:

Message 19 of 24
dennisnelson1322

No reason to be a ****.  The solution you offered has me tab selection each individual element and then copy paste them.  I might as well just re-model the items as that would be faster.  Also I don't care if it paste aligned current view or paste align same place, but paste aligned current view is the only option is gives.

Message 20 of 24
RDAOU

@dennisnelson1322 wrote:

No reason to be a ****.  

Seriously?!

I'm unsubscribing to this post! Its not worth it...good luck with your quest hopefully you find someone to help u

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report