Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening Central file from A360 is not enabling create local

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
nelsonweeks
979 Views, 8 Replies

Opening Central file from A360 is not enabling create local

We created a project on A360 Team, then opened the project central file in Revit and saved to the newly created project on A360 team.  When opening the project, clicked on A360, we see the project, then select the central file, but the create local is unavailable.  The user is complaining that working in the file is very sluggish.  I am thinking it is because he is working in the cloud hosted central file rather than a local version.  Have no idea where to go from here...any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
BrettWright
in reply to: nelsonweeks

Hi Nelson, sorry for the trouble you're having.

I'm going to move this over to the C4R forum, which is technically the Revit Forum for that team to engage since it looks like you're having trouble with the C4R / Revit side of things,

While you're waiting for them to reply, please review the links and video's below just to make sure that your set up process was done correctly.

Collaboration for Revit Links

• The FAQ on common questions
  • The help page that documents the getting started process
  • The User Assistance document
  • The Product Support document
  • 3 C4R getting started videos on YouTube

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 3 of 9
nelsonweeks
in reply to: BrettWright

Thanks Brett...I watched all the linked videos and there isn't anything that shows an end user actually opening a C4R project locally, so I still don't know if the "create local" is actually supposed to be an option.  I am thinking not.  When we uploaded the file intitially, we did exactly as the videos indicate, and it did show that a local cached version was being created.

Hopefully someone will respond who can help us troubleshoot the latency problems.  This is a very small model, so I can't imagine what kind of speed issues we would have with a project of any size all....not to mention when consultants models are linked in as well.  I guess all I can do is sit and wait and hope someone decides to respond.  Honestly, I would have expected more support for a product trying to get its footing in our workflow.

Message 4 of 9
AdamPeter

Hello,

Sorry to hear your experience has been less than ideal.  C4R is creating a local cache file in the background and that is what the user is working from.  Can you provide some additional details about the file and what is meant by "sluggish"?  Is it sync to central, or other types of commands?  How large is the file, does it have any links and what type of connectivity to the internet does the user have?  Is anyone else having the same experience when working on the same model?  Any of these details would help greatly.

Thanks,

Adam Peter
Customer Program Manager
Autodesk
Message 5 of 9
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: AdamPeter

Beyond the questions asked by Adam, I also wanted to point you to another discussion thread where we went deep on the topic of the local cache. This diagram goes through the nitty gritty of the mechanism.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 9
nelsonweeks

Hey Adam,

I appreciate the prompt response.  The user is busy at the moment, so I will tell you what I know.  The model is slightly over 18Mb.  When he was showing me the latency, it was in moving a column grid a couple of feet.  When working off the network, it was pretty much instantaneous.  Moving the grid working in C4R, it was taking 3 or 4 seconds.  A distinct move, wait and then see the result.

This is in one of our remote offices.  They have a business broadband connection to the internet.  I believe it is about 25Mbps.   There is only one user working in the model. I downloaded the model to see what was attached (I don't have C4R, but I am a team member) and see that a 4Mb dwg is attached to the model from our network.  I assume that dwg could be loaded to A360 and reloaded from that location if that is the issue, but I assumed if he has access to the file on the network it wouldn't affect him...and if other users didn't, it might cause a lag opening the file, but it shouldn't continue to cause lag should it?

Message 7 of 9
AdamPeter

That behavior certainly isn't what I would expect to see.  A few more questions:

• When you say off the network do you mean downloaded via A360 like you did, opened through C4R, but then logged out of A360 in Revit or something else?
  • Am I understanding correctly that the linked file is on the network, but remote to the user?
  • Is the linked file a central file or non-workshared
  • If you open the task manager are there any services that jump up to the top when moving the column?
  • Would it be possible to get a copy of the journal files for review on our side to see what activity is happening?

Also, while the forum is nice to bounce ideas around, I would recommend opening an official support ticket so we get a tracking number and dedicated support team to help address this issue.

Thanks,

Adam Peter
Customer Program Manager
Autodesk
Message 8 of 9
nelsonweeks

I will open a ticket as suggested.

Just to clarify...when I said working off the network, I meant the central file was on the local server and the user created a local file on his computer.

The linked file is a dwg and is on the local server.

Should be no problem to supply journal files.  I will do that when the ticket is open.

Message 9 of 9
nelsonweeks

For those interested...it appears the lag was a result of using Design Options in the model and how C4R deals with giving ownership of elements.  Although it apparently "works as designed" according to the support person, they forwarded the issue to the product team.

The thought was, when the user clicks on a design option element, it has to give the user ownership of all elements in the option.  This was taking a while.  Subsequent actions by the user went more quickly as they already had ownership of everything at that point.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report