Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked Models loading inconsistently across users

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
eschmittQAMTZ
262 Views, 3 Replies

Linked Models loading inconsistently across users

My team is working on a very large project with 15 buildings (5 unique building types) in Revit 2023. Because it's so much for Revit to process - the entire file is nearly 3 GB - we have made each of the 5 buildings a separate link and loaded them in and out as needed so as not to slow down the project. This has worked fine with work sharing because we do "unload for current user" so that the buildings I'm not working on are only unloaded for me. 

Lately, we have run into a strange issue where when we reload a link, it will just say: error - cant reload link. Sometimes it says something slightly different but that's the general problem - no error number or other info. Alternately, when we do "clear my override," it says "Revit has experienced an unexpected error. The operation has been canceled to protect your project from corruption" When expanded it says, "error 1" and under that, the supposed view or link gives an issue - which is always something really random like a room tag that as far as we can tell isn't even in the project. I have included an example of this error message below: 

MicrosoftTeams-image (4).png

We have searched that room tag by ID and deleted it, and it will just give us another room tag ad nauseam. 

The other strange part of this is that this isn't always happening for every user - it is very inconsistent. Another team member may be able to access all links with no problem, while someone else can't load 2 or 3 at the same time. Sometimes it works for everyone, and sometimes it works for nobody. Yesterday I was not able to load a link in, and today that same link loaded just fine. It has been extremely frustrating and is slowing down our progress quite a bit. 

Some additional info: 

The main links that are causing problems are our buildings A & C. Building A is linked to Building C, and is also a stand-alone building on the site. We think the relationship between these two when they're in the same model might be an issue, or perhaps something is going on with the nested linking in C that just screw things up. 

We use BIM360

We are assuming one or both of those models is corrupt, but we can't figure out how to fix that, or what exactly is wrong. 

As far as troubleshooting goes:

- Cleared the collaboration cache

- Addressed and cleared warnings in the main site model and all of the linked models often

- Audited and purged all models multiple times

- Tried (to no avail) to delete or edit the random room tags that are allegedly causing issues

- tried to delete corrupt families

Any ideas or help would be very appreciated! Please let me know if anyone needs additional information. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ToanDN
in reply to: eschmittQAMTZ

I suggest keep each link in a workset.  If you have nested attachment links in a model, also keep them in worksets.  Instruct users to, instead of unload links, close worksets.  

Be strategic at naming worksets because workset names are transparent through linking.  Example:  

- Building C is linked in Building A (attach), keep it in workset [C in A]

- add the same workset [C in A] to the same model even there is nothing in it

- keep Building C link in the main model in workset C

- when you close [C in A] in the main model, it closed [C in A] in Building A link as well, thus Building C nested link in Building A is closed, but Building C linked directly in the main model remain loaded

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
eschmittQAMTZ
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank you for your reply! We did try that, and found the work sets to be more inconsistent than unloading/reloading links. The worksets got a little iffy particularly with links that have nested links - turning off Building A would sometimes turn off the nested link of Building A in C, which we wanted to keep for example. Because of the size of our model, unloading links just works better as well. We have found that keeping things in hidden worksets makes Revit much slower than just temporarily unloading. Why do you recommend using worksets instead of unloading links? 

Message 4 of 4
ToanDN
in reply to: eschmittQAMTZ

I suggested to use workset approach because you said unloading links was inconsistent.  And here the important part, I suggested to close worksets, not just turning them off.  

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums