Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked IFC model shows everything in plan view

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
devlintalman
1125 Views, 9 Replies

Linked IFC model shows everything in plan view

Hello,

When I link a mechanical IFC and I go to my plan view of level 2, I can see the things above ( up to the roof ) in my view.
How can I only see the things on level 2?

Thank you for your help!
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JvanReij
in reply to: devlintalman

Hello @devlintalman,

Thank you for your post. The issue you describe is pretty common, I've seen it a lot when importing IFC from Tekla into Revit.

If you can share some more information to me of what program the mechanical IFC comes from, I can give a more detailed answer.

For Tekla IFC files you need to disable the assemblies before export to load it in correctly. Or sometimes it works to not link it, but import it and save it as Revit file. 

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Best regards,
Josha van Reij
Arcadis NV
BIM manager

Message 3 of 10
devlintalman
in reply to: JvanReij

Hello,

Thank you for your help!

The IFC was made with Revit 2016 ( I am working with 2015 for this project ).

I can send you the file, maybe you can see what I do wrong?

Do you have a mail adres where I can sent it to?

Devlin Talman.
Message 4 of 10
JvanReij

Definitely, I've send you a personal message where you can send the file to. If you also have / can get the original Mechanical Revit file and send it to me it would be a big advantage. And in what version of Revit are you trying to import the IFC, also Revit 2016?

Best regards,
Josha van Reij
Arcadis NV
BIM manager

Message 5 of 10
devlintalman

The file is coming
Message 6 of 10
JvanReij

Hello @devlintalman,

I've downloaded and tested you Mechanical IFC model. And both linking the file and importing the file works for me, it shows up correctly. Both test files send to you by mail.

In the screencast below you can see how to import (not link) the IFC file and see if that works. You may also want to have a look at the IFC import settings. In case it still does not work for you, I can have a look with you through teamviewer.

Best regards,
Josha van Reij
Arcadis NV
BIM manager

Message 7 of 10
devlintalman

Hello Josha,

Thank you for your help!

When I open ( and not link ) the IFC it works for me to 🙂

Can you explane to me the differance between opening or linking an IFC?

The IFC import settings I use you can see in the picture.

Do you have a better one?

IFC import.PNG

Message 8 of 10
devlintalman

When I get a IFC file from somebody I always go to Insert > Link IFC

Is it better when I first go to Open > IFC and then Link the Revit model that is created?

Message 9 of 10
JvanReij

Hello Devlin,

Good to hear it is solved.

Normally my preference goes to linking the IFC model and if you need something from the IFC model you can use 'copy monitor'. In this case it comes from Revit, so I would even consider directly linking the Revit file. The basic difference between opening and linking IFC, is that at importing the IFC import settings are used. You can find more information on this in this link and this link.

Your picture of a part of the IFC import options look decent, as far I can see that should not be the issue. The strange thing is that I can both link and import the IFC and you can only import it (correctly). If this issue occurs more often, don't hesitate to take contact with me. We can have a further look into this issue.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Best regards,
Josha van Reij
Arcadis NV
BIM manager

Message 10 of 10
devlintalman

I also prefer directly linking the Revit model but it is made in Revit 2016 and I ( and al the others ) are working in Revit 2015.

Thank you for your help!

I see that you also come from the Netherlands 🙂

It's a small world!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report