Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link DWG stored in BIM 360

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
KyrreKolstad
8058 Views, 13 Replies

Link DWG stored in BIM 360

Hi.

How do I link DWG files stored in my BIM 360 project? I have tried to get a link from pressing the share button, but that won't work pasted in Revit - manage links:

2016-11-21_18-27-28.png

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
N.Oomen
in reply to: KyrreKolstad

Hi kyrre.kolstad,

What you are trying to achieve is not possible at this point. It is not possible to link to a share link as you are describing.

Below an article that goes into more detail about None Revit links in combination with Collaboration for Revit. This will show that even with that workflow it is still not possible to link the dwg through the cloud platform A360Team or BIM360Team. It does give you a workaround if you do want to achieve something like that.

None Revit Links with Collaboration for Revit

I would really like to hear from you if this will solve your problem or you have any more questions.
For all other Forum members, it would be nice if you mark the reply as a “Solution” when it answers your question.

Good Luck,
Niels Oomen

Best regards,
Niels Oomen
Cadac Group BV
Sr Consultant AEC

Message 3 of 14

@KyrreKolstad

Dear Kyrre Kolstad,

Thank you for your post. As I said in the emails I sent you, unfortunately this is not a current feature in Revit, as DWG files can only be linked from the local machine or from the network and not from a shared link.

However, the workaround in the article sent to you by @N.Oomen could help. Could you try it and let us know if it solved your issue?

You can post your improvement ideas on our Revit Ideas Forum, where other users can see your ideas and vote them. If an idea gathers votes from many users, this will increase the chances to be implemented by the development team.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,
Bogdan Ciobanu
Autodesk Support Team

Bogdan Ciobanu
Message 4 of 14

@KyrreKolstad

Dear Kyrre Kolstad,

Thank you for your post. As I said in the emails I sent you, unfortunately this is not a current feature in Revit, as DWG files can only be linked from the local machine or from the network and not from a shared link.

Could you please let us know if you had the time to try the workaround in the article and if that solved your issue?

Thank you. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,
Bogdan Ciobanu
Autodesk Support Team

Bogdan Ciobanu
Message 5 of 14

@KyrreKolstad

Dear kyree.kolstad,

Thank you again for your post. I wanted to follow up with you regarding my previous message.

If you consider your support request resolved, please let us know by accepting the workaround posted by @N.Oomen.

If you require more help, please respond and I am happy to continue assisting you. If I have not heard back from you within 2 business days, we will assume your issue is resolved and the case will be placed on hold.

Thank you! I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Bogdan Ciobanu

Bogdan Ciobanu
Message 6 of 14

@KyrreKolstad

Thank you again for your recent support inquiry.

I attempted to follow up with you to discuss it, however, as I have not heard back from you, I am going to assume that your issue is either resolved or you require more time to work on it.  At this time, I am going to go ahead and put your case on hold. 

Thank you for contacting Autodesk. 

Best regards,

Bogdan Ciobanu

Bogdan Ciobanu
Message 7 of 14

Hi.

BIM 360 doesn't support what I'm asking for, which it should. We both know it.
Case closed.

Med vennlig hilsen
KYRRE KOLSTAD
VVS
Nesttunbrekka 99
Bergen
(+47) 938 33 245
[Multiconsult]
[lync]
Message 8 of 14
dborda
in reply to: KyrreKolstad

Hi There Autodesk,

Its now 2018, and I'm wondering if I can link a DWG hosted on BIM360 to a Revit File that is also hosted on BIM360.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 14
mihailo.channer
in reply to: dborda

As the ‘Next Gen’ BIM360 platform evolves, more and more features are added to different modules on the platform. Over the last month we have seen quite a few new features in the Project Management, Model Co-Ordination and Design Collaboration modules.

Message 10 of 14

Could you answer the question please?

Can we link a DWG stored in a BIM360 hub into a BIM360 RVT project? YES or NO please.

Not interested in marketing obfuscation - just YES or NO will do.

Message 11 of 14
sasha.crotty
in reply to: aesdaile.b

Yes, you can link a DWG stored in BIM 360 into a Revit model. You can do this by installing Desktop Connector, a sync tool that syncs BIM 360 files to and from the desktop, and linking in DWGs from the project like you would any other local file. Revit knows how to interpret files in Desktop Connector and converts it to a cloud-path, so that everyone on the project can access the same link as long as the have Desktop Connector installed and permissions to access that location. Please note that the cloud path functionality only works with Revit 2018.2 and later.

You can find more info here.

Sasha Crotty
Director, AEC Design Data

Message 12 of 14
N.Oomen
in reply to: sasha.crotty

@aesdaile.b,

In addition to my earlier reply. I completely agree with @sasha.crotty.
This feature has come available with use of Desktop Connector and works for Revit and also within AutoCAD.

Great improvement to Desktop Connector.

Have fun exploring this feature and loving the easiness of this added value.

Best regards,
Niels Oomen
Cadac Group BV
Sr Consultant AEC

Message 13 of 14

This seems link a terribly convoluted way of linking simple DWG files to a cloud workshare. Is this resolved in 2021 Revit? 

Message 14 of 14

Hi Christopher,

My comment above regarding Desktop Connector is still accurate. In order to be able to include a DWG in a Revit model, a copy of that data needs to be present on your desktop and your collaborator's desktop. Desktop Connector is the tool that syncs DWG & other files between the cloud location & the desktop. Revit Cloud Worksharing only handles Revit models (note: I intentionally use models and not files here).

Thanks,

Sasha

Sasha Crotty
Director, AEC Design Data

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report