Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error opening revit "central file" on C4R

11 REPLIES 11
Reply
Message 1 of 12
paul__richards
721 Views, 11 Replies

Error opening revit "central file" on C4R

Wanted to start working on file today with Revit 2017 (build 17.0.416.0)

Went to Open Project, went to A360 (used to say B360 I believe)

Choose the file from the project folder on C4R

after a little while, received this highly descriptive error.

 

Any ideas what to do now

 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Paul,

We'd need the Revit Journal (the file timestamp is when you closed Revit) from the session where the failure occurred, and we can take a look.

 

-Kyle



Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 12

Following advice from autodesk customer support we did a clean uninstall of Revit 2017 (Microsoft Fix it followed with https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/download-install/remove-products/clean-uninstall

After reinstall it I’m suspicious that we have installed 2017.1.1 because we have found that we no longer have Collaboration for Revit (C4R version, not the A360 version).

 

Cannot find the link in my Autodesk account to upload to upgrade to 2017.2, nor C4R. Any ideas??

BTW - Both Revit and C4R have been paid for.

 

Once we are able to collaborate I can provide a current journal.

Attached it the journal at the on the posting

Message 4 of 12

This morning after the C4R downtime we tried to open our 400MB Collaboration file only to continue to get the below errors.

 

We tried to publish, roll back the file but nothing worked.  We could access other files in the same project folder but not at one. Did the C4R downtime corrupt our file?

 

Kevin

 

Revit Dialogs.jpg

 

Message 5 of 12


@paul__richards wrote:

Following advice from autodesk customer support we did a clean uninstall of Revit 2017 (Microsoft Fix it followed with https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/download-install/remove-products/clean-uninstall

After reinstall it I’m suspicious that we have installed 2017.1.1 because we have found that we no longer have Collaboration for Revit (C4R version, not the A360 version).

 

Cannot find the link in my Autodesk account to upload to upgrade to 2017.2, nor C4R. Any ideas??

BTW - Both Revit and C4R have been paid for.

 

Once we are able to collaborate I can provide a current journal.

Attached it the journal at the on the posting


Paul,

You should be able to install the latest update from the Autodesk Desktop App.  Sounds like you have an earlier install of C4R.  That shouldn't brock you from accessing your cloud workshared model in C4R though.

When I looked at the Journal you provided, I see you successfully opening the model with the Audit option enabled, but I don't see the error you cited in the original post, so I can't add much insight at the moment.

 

-Kyle



Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 12


@Anonymous wrote:

This morning after the C4R downtime we tried to open our 400MB Collaboration file only to continue to get the below errors.

 

We tried to publish, roll back the file but nothing worked.  We could access other files in the same project folder but not at one. Did the C4R downtime corrupt our file?

 

Kevin

 

Revit Dialogs.jpg

 


Kevin,

It is extremely unlikely that the degradation from Monday morning corrupted the file, but regardless of the cause, we're here to help get you back up and running.

Would you be able to send us a Revit Journal from a session where you experienced this error?  That's the best piece of information for us to investigate the root cause.

 

-Kyle



Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 12

Kevin; I have not been able to collaborate on C4R since mid last week, so the outage did not effect the files I have been working on.

Message 8 of 12

I may have grabbed the wrong journal set, in the meantime we removed revit 2017 from the desktop and tried to reinstall which failed. I'm working with Lance Coffey Autodesk Technical Support to track this one down.

Thanks for the link and when we get Revit up and running we will be sure to visit. I will give an update then.

 

Message 9 of 12

Kyle,

 

Attached is one of many tries to open the Revit file on C4R.  You can see the dialog information at the end of the file I pasted in above.

 

This gives you the file information on C4R at line 863 and beyond.  

 

Kevin

Message 10 of 12


@Anonymous wrote:

Kyle,

 

Attached is one of many tries to open the Revit file on C4R.  You can see the dialog information at the end of the file I pasted in above.

 

This gives you the file information on C4R at line 863 and beyond.  

 

Kevin


Kevin,

I got the journal, and that's exactly what we needed.  I've got the brain trust looking at it as I write this post.  We'll get back to you with what we find.

 

-Kyle



Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 12

Kevin,

The brain trust here on the product team took a loot at this issue for you yesterday, and based on the Journal you sent were able to look at the historical activity on the problematic C4R Model in order to develop a strong working theory as to the root cause of the problem.

 

The working theory is tied to update version of Revit 2016 being used by the team, which according to our logs is over 15 months old.  There was a defect that caused a small incidence of model corruption consistent with the behavior exhibited by your model, which we patched in a Revit 2016 update in March of 2016.  Our theory is that your Model has encountered this corruption as a result of at least some team members running a C4R version from before that patch.  Here's our recommendation to resolve the issue:

 

  1. Update all of your team members to the latest Revit 2016 C4R update.  That installer should also download and install the appropriate Revit 2016 update as well as the C4R code.

  2. If our working theory is correct, there should be 1 member of the team that can still open that model (typically the last person to sucessfully SWC, which can be viewing the Manage Cloud Models dialog).  Once the C4R update has been installed, have that user open the model and do a SWC with the "Compact" option selected.  That should fix the issue and you guys are back up in running.

  3. If for whatever reason nobody can get in the model, or if step #2 above does not solve the problem (there's an edge case where it won't), then your other option is to rollback the model to a version where the issue is not longer occurring.  The best way to do this is to have one team member rollback the model -> try and open -> see if there's an error.  If the error occurs on the 2nd newest version in the model history, try the 3rd, etc.   Eventually, you'll get to a good state of the model.  If our working theory is accurate, then the 2nd newest model will be a good model.

Hopefully the above workflow gets you back up and running, but we're here to help if it doesn't.

 

-Kyle



Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 12

Kyle,

 

Thanks for the help!  We are long beyond that file with our project work. We will upgrade to v9 as soon as possible.  Something like this happened about a month ago. with our India team members but they fixed the file before we had much of an issue.  This time we ended up trying to open the model on our end after they went home and had the issue, I guess.  We will remember this for later if we have any other issues but hopefully updated versions will fix the problem.

 

Kevin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th


Autodesk Design & Make Report