Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communicator Eliminated in 2019?

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
ewing
5193 Views, 20 Replies

Communicator Eliminated in 2019?

I'm wondering if I missed something in the install, but I don't have the Communicator in my Revit 2019 for C4R

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
dtpeter2901
in reply to: ewing

Yep, it's gone in 2019.

One of those new features I guess.

Not sure why they got rid of it.  It was a very useful tool.  Rarely used to to chat, but now you won't really be able to monitor who's in the models.  I thought it was a great tool for managers.  Plus it saved me from adding a ton of email contacts to my Skype page.  Looks like I'll need to go back to that or maybe Google Chat.  

Message 3 of 21
ewing
in reply to: dtpeter2901

It's unfortunate. I would think attention would be spent on items that need to be fixed rather than eliminate a useful tool such as this one. Seems like we're going in the wrong direction here.

Message 4 of 21
sdove

It's also unavailable for 2018.3 models that are uploaded to the new BIM 360 Document Manager. Communicator loads, but you can't see any active users, or the project activity history. For the activity report, you need to go into the BIM 360 project admin module.
Message 5 of 21
dtpeter2901
in reply to: sdove

Techincally it wasn't removed for 2019.  It's removed for the new version of BIM 360 Design or Docs or whatever they're calling it this week.

Message 6 of 21
dtpeter2901

How ever you want to look at it.

From my understanding BIM 360 Teams isn't an option in 2019.  Only BIM 360 Design.  The Communicator isn't Available for BIM 360 Design........Or something like that.

Message 7 of 21
ewing

What a mess. It's incredible how convoluted everything on the subscription side has become. Thanks for the input.

Message 8 of 21
rand1417

I AM UNSURE WHY THEY DELETED IT. WE FOUND IT A VERY USEFUL TOOL PARTICULARLY TO AVOID GETTING SYNC-STOMPED.  SURE HOPE THEY REPLACE IT WITH SOMETHING ELSE. THERE ARE MANY USERS IN OUR CURRENT MODEL AND I AM ALREADY TIRED OF MY SYNC FAILING BECAUSE I HAPPEN TO CHOOSE THE SAME TIME TO SYNC AS SOMEONE ELSE.

Message 9 of 21
eric_bernier
in reply to: rand1417

I think we all agree on that.  We'll have to suggest it for voting next year for new features 🙂

Message 10 of 21
glenwalson7986

Thanks for the Info guys....I was wondering where the communicator tool went as well. I guess I'm not the only one. It was a very useful tool to see who was in the cloud models. I felt it had better features then the workshare monitor. They need to bring it back.

Message 11 of 21

Like said above, we're back to oversyncing.... very annoying and unproductive.

Hope they put it back...

Message 12 of 21
birdtools
in reply to: julien.ready

We have suffered for a year as well from this inconvenience, which led us to develop our own Communicator. We then decided to make it public.

Initially, we intended it to be free, but running its host server is not cheap, so we added a monthly maintenance fee.

You can check it out if you're interested:

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=2708791336202096279&appLang=en&os=Win64

http://www.birdtools-developers.com/raven.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVe7PvjwoDw

Message 13 of 21
M.TECH

It is amongst the functionality that is being split out of Revit and onto a new web-platform. Rumour has it the family editor is also on the way out amongst others.. /M By actual change, while looking for something else I found it in the changelog: "For Revit users, Autodesk Collaboration for Revit has been rebranded and repackaged as BIM 360 Design worksharing and collaboration software for design teams. Read more about what BIM 360 Design means for the Revit user." So its now a token priced service as I understand it.
Message 14 of 21
julien.ready
in reply to: M.TECH

I used BIM360 platform for document annotations etc... and comments on online documents, but the communicator was more or less a Skype type of sending messages / infos quickly. It was also VERY useful for seeing who's in what model in real time...

The problem now is that nobody can see who's in a model / sync / etc. as per the Worksharing monitor is not available while in a BIM360 model...

Message 15 of 21
RussellHolzinger

The old communicator didn't work with the next generation BIM 360 Document Management. Not trying to get your hopes up but...

"Autodesk is working on replacing essential communicator functionality in future Revit releases."

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles...

Message 16 of 21
jade.l
in reply to: RussellHolzinger

The new function is just released in 2020.1 release.

BIM 360 Design Sync Activity Indicator is a new tool in the Revit ribbon that supports collaboration by notifying users working with Revit Cloud Models when another user is performing a sync with central operation on the same model. You can view the sync status for a cloud workshared model, including the username of the person synchronizing with the central model.

You could refer to https://blogs.autodesk.com/revit/2019/08/21/whats-new-in-revit-2020-1/ for more details.

jade.l

Message 17 of 21
rand1417
in reply to: jade.l

thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear that we are going to have a tool to coordinate "syncing" c4r models.

Message 18 of 21
JasonF

Most of my clients are not on 2020 and won't be for a while. Any plans for a utility that works with 2019?

Message 19 of 21
ewing

Huh. I just got a notification that there was an accepted solution...This post is almost a year and a half old and I sure don't see a solution. If it's that little icon at the bottom of the screen it is useless. That's the best attempt?

Message 20 of 21
julien.ready

I think they transfered everything on the BIM360 site for project communications (annotations, issues, etc.). 

We use Teams as part of all of our projects now for communicating outside Revit…. with internal and external collaborators.

For the communicator as it was a few years ago, I believe it's been ended as they don't support the live chat feature anymore (since r2019). For the syncing icon, I can still be something better than nothing…. but I agree the communicator was working well to see live syncing. 

I guess all good things don't last… !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report