Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collaboration for Revit Cache File Quantity and Size Excessive

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Mark.Brandi
5327 Views, 5 Replies

Collaboration for Revit Cache File Quantity and Size Excessive

The number of files and file sizes created during caching in Collaboration for Revit are such that my computer contiually runs out of memroy. When opening the file (approx 10 linked files), more than 20 cache files are created with some of them appearing as duplicates. The total size of these files exceeds 10 GB. As such, the a large benefit of a cloud based model seems to be lost. Should this be happening? Is there an automatic way to handle the cache files. Repeated manual deletion seems silly.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dzanta
in reply to: Mark.Brandi

verify the integrity of the revit central model and all linked models in the following areas:

1.  purge, compact the models

2.  any strange issues with families that are repeated multiple times

3.  any plan regions that are too large (za command issued gives potential 20mile limit errors)

4.  overuse of groups

also, clear your cache files first before accessing the central revit model again.  (perhaps the old cached files are bad and just need to be recreated)

locally cached versions of A360 models are stored in the folder %LOCALAPPDATA%\Autodesk\Revit\[Revit product release]\CollaborationCache\.

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Community | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 3 of 6

@mark.brandi wrote:

The number of files and file sizes created during caching in Collaboration for Revit are such that my computer contiually runs out of memroy. When opening the file (approx 10 linked files), more than 20 cache files are created with some of them appearing as duplicates. The total size of these files exceeds 10 GB. As such, the a large benefit of a cloud based model seems to be lost. Should this be happening? Is there an automatic way to handle the cache files. Repeated manual deletion seems silly.

You should have roughly 3X the sum of all hosts models + links that you are cloud worksharing on C4R available on your hard drive. This diagram walks through the local cache workflow, which is optimized for performance over hard drive space (labor is much more expensive than hard drive space).

The primary value of cloud worksharing is to connect teams across companies and networks, rather than reducing local data usage.  I would recommend against deleting this data, as that will just make subsequent model load operations take much longer, as the local data is rebuilt anew.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 6

OK, so I understand that there should be multiple versions of each cache file. Unfortunately, the slow down in operation speed, such as synchronization, network errors and model crashes that our company is experiencing with C4R is preventing us from reaching the intended benefit of optimized performance. Can Autodesk provide a recommended hard drive space that should be made available in relation to model size? I see using C4R for multiple projects of any appreciable size prohibitive due to hard drive space requirements.

Message 5 of 6

@mark.brandi wrote:

OK, so I understand that there should be multiple versions of each cache file. Unfortunately, the slow down in operation speed, such as synchronization, network errors and model crashes that our company is experiencing with C4R is preventing us from reaching the intended benefit of optimized performance. Can Autodesk provide a recommended hard drive space that should be made available in relation to model size? I see using C4R for multiple projects of any appreciable size prohibitive due to hard drive space requirements.

Mark,

Sorry you've had a less-than-stellar expereince with the C4R product thus far.  Can you provide a little background on the "network errors and model crashes" that you've experienced?  To my knowledge, there haven't been any significant degradations in reliability of the cloud worksharing service, or major Revit instabilities that resulted from the use of cloud worksharing workflows.  I'm concerned you may know something we don't despite our continued monitoring of service analytics and crash reports.

Thanks in Advance,

Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 6
lionel.kai
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

Mark, I feel your pain. Who knew a few years ago that a 250 GB drive would not be anywhere near big enough today? We've had two major instances where text or entire sections randomly disappeared from projects due to C: drive space being low. Revit gives no warnings when C: space is too low for it to handle (except sometimes for seemingly unrelated error messages about links being corrupt when trying to open a model), so you need to be diligent about watching it yourself (what we've learned the hard way). There seems to be some potential relief for existing machines if you install a 2nd drive and use symbolic links to move the cache to it: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-collaboration-forum/hard-disk-when-use-c4r/m-p/6494655#M2818

Otherwise, it just needs to be part of your regular maintenance routine to clear out old files and folders from your CollaborationCache folders, just like the Local User Files folders and Journals folders. And now I've also got to figure out how to clear out "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Autodesk\Autodesk Sync\Cloud\"... 😞

Lionel J. Camara
BIM Manager at KAI Hawaii, Inc. - Structural and Forensic Engineers
Autodesk Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report