Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collaboration For Revit / BIM 360 Team Setup

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
m.kleinmann
928 Views, 6 Replies

Collaboration For Revit / BIM 360 Team Setup

Hi all;

In the process of setting up C4R on BIM 360 Team and have some questions:

Do I need to copy the initial Revit file to the Team folder, and open it from there to create the central file?

Once the central file is created on BIM360, is this the file I should share with collaborators or should I share a copy? Seems a bit risky to share the central file. Brand new to this so looking forward to hearing from the experts.

Thx,

Marc

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
m.kleinmann
in reply to: m.kleinmann

to clarify - just noticed my post was not completely clear - I meant should that file then be the file to share with others for viewing and markups?

Message 3 of 7
AdamPeter

Hi and thanks for posting!

The initial model upload should happen from inside Revit using the "Collaborate in Cloud" command from the "Collaborate" Ribbon.

initiate collaboration.png

This initial upload will publish a copy to BIM360 Team for people on the project to review and markup.  The BIM360 Team view is typically for non-Revit users to view the model.  The active model (central file) should always be accessed through the Revit interface (through the file->open dialog) and when you hit major milestones or have a change you want everyone to see in BIM 360 Team you just publish the latest version through the Manage Cloud Models dialog inside of Revit (also on the Collaborate ribbon).

Here are some links to help get you started as well.

Initiating a model

Publishing

Adam Peter
Customer Program Manager
Autodesk
Message 4 of 7
m.kleinmann
in reply to: AdamPeter

Hi Adam;

I followed the instructions to upload my model. The problem is that when I try to open this now, the "create new local" is greyed out... What did I do wrong?

Also, where can I find the location of the local folder where the local file is stored?

OpenCentral.PNG

Marc

Message 5 of 7
AdamPeter

Actually your doing everything exactly right!  It automatically downloads the model to a local cache behind the scenes so the "Create New Local" is grayed out as designed.  The cache location is not really accesses except for trouble shooting.  You simply open the model, work, save and SWC like normal.  

Adam Peter
Customer Program Manager
Autodesk
Message 6 of 7
m.kleinmann
in reply to: AdamPeter

OK. So if I understand you correctly - storing the central file on BIM360 Team and working with it works differently than in the standard C4R instructions. If that is the case, might I suggest a help article or video outlining the workflow for worksharing with BIM360 team? I would imagine I'm not the only one confused.

Thx a lot for your help.

Marc

Message 7 of 7
AdamPeter

I think the confusion is between BIM360 Team and C4R because they are two separate services that are tied together.  C4R IS the service you use for worksharing.  It works in the context of BIM360 Team because it needs a project to be tied to.  The active model that you work on in Revit is only accessed through Revit.  You see it's history, rename and publish in the manage cloud models dialog inside of Revit.  Once it's published to BIM360 Team other people on the project can view that static model, do markups and such.  The model on BIM360 Team is not the active model and other designers would never workshare on that model.  If you need multiple people to collaborate on the same model, or group of models, they all need the C4R service and access those models for editing within Revit.  

There is a webinar HERE that goes into how all this works together in detail.  The C4R upload starts at about 36 minutes if you want to focus just on that part.

Hope that helps!

Adam Peter
Customer Program Manager
Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report