Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collab for Revit Locked Files

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
dflores
1194 Views, 10 Replies

Collab for Revit Locked Files

When using C4R, what happens if a user is opening a file or synchronizing a file and the process is interrupted, e.g. by an error message, and the user is away from their PC for an extended period of time with the error going unnoticed? Will others be prevented from opening and synchronizing? I understand users should not allow this to happen, but it unfortunately does. How does this effect Collaboration for Revit, and are there solutions?
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
thamizhz
in reply to: dflores

yeah. sometimes apps make some trouble in revit. u can go proper way of revit software and please delete unwanted apps from ur revit.
Message 3 of 11
KyleB_Autodesk

I'm not aware of any scenarios where a file lock will coincide with a transaction in Revit that could be presenting an error message in the UI.  Typically those transactions occur before the file lock is applied (Reload Latest at the start of SWC is such an example).  Opening the model does not apply a file lock, so it can be done in parallel by numerous users.

If you do encounter such a situation, we'd like to know about, so please log a support request with us.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 11
tsheets
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

With Revit server, we had many instances of the files being locked due to users who either lost connection or had an error while syncing with central and not being at their workstation to address the issue.  We then had to manually edit .lock files so that other users could sync. How does A360 address this issue?

Message 5 of 11
c.era

I have a user that is having the following issue: save to central is not updating the file on the c4r site. User has to publish the model for it to update. I am in the process of trying to re-create but thought I would ask the forum as well. Must the model be published after every save to central to update? I would think if the central lives on c4r it would automatically update when save to central is initiated. Is there a setting or an avenue to explore where this might be affected? Any insight helps, thank you.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 11
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: tsheets

@tsheets wrote:

With Revit server, we had many instances of the files being locked due to users who either lost connection or had an error while syncing with central and not being at their workstation to address the issue.  We then had to manually edit .lock files so that other users could sync. How does A360 address this issue?

As I said earlier, to my knowledge that is not possible in C4R.  If you do encounter this situation, please log a support request so we can investigate.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 11
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: c.era

@c.era wrote:

I have a user that is having the following issue: save to central is not updating the file on the c4r site. User has to publish the model for it to update. I am in the process of trying to re-create but thought I would ask the forum as well. Must the model be published after every save to central to update? I would think if the central lives on c4r it would automatically update when save to central is initiated. Is there a setting or an avenue to explore where this might be affected? Any insight helps, thank you.

This is the current behavior for the service right now.  To update the version of the model in A360 Team, a team member needs to publish the model from the Manage A360 Models dialog.  That triggers a service-side process that translates the model for web & mobile viewing + builds the search index.  Once that process is complete, the model in A360 is updated.

The current behavior is the "Minimum Viable Product" (MVP) behavior we could ship with the very first version of the service, and we totally agree that an automated model of surfacing C4R model versions in A360 is the ideal one.  Our current thinking is that models will be surfaced in A360 on a regular cadence (e.g. every modified model gets surfaced nightly in A360).  Surfacing every SWC version for Viewing, Search, and Social Interactions, from our discussion with users like yourself hasn't been raised as a critical use case, althought folks have asked to have consistency in the version list between Revit and A360 + the ability to surface any untranslated versions on-demand.

We'd love to hear your perspective on this, and please let us know the use scenarios where you'd want to use this stuff.

Cheers,

Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 11
c.era

I was wondering if 'surfaced' means the same thing as synchronized? I do not believe I have heard that terminology and wanted to be sure I was up-to-date on my lexicon. Also:

'...although folks have asked to have consistency in the version list between Revit and A360 + the ability to surface any untranslated versions on-demand.'

I am trying to decipher that phrase - and please bear with me as I am still pretty new to C4R - are the versions not differentiated on the site? Do we not know if a model is Revit 2013, 2014 or 2015? What do you mean by 'surface any untranslated versions?'

Message 9 of 11
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: c.era

Thanks for keeping me honest.

1. "Surfaced" = the process of exposing that version in A360 Team for viewing, search, social interactions, and download.
  2. There are such a things as versions of a cloud workshared model in Revit, which can be seen in the Manage A360 Models dialog (a version for every SWC).  There are also versions of a file on A360 Team (a version for each instance the cloud workshared model is surfaced in A360).  Right now those version lists are not consistent for cloud workshared model, which can cause confusion.

What I'm alluding to is a request from customers like yourself to have consistency in the version list between the different product expereinces, even though every SWV version may not be viewable+searchable in A360 Team.  In that hyptothetical future, customers had asked for the ability in A360 Team to view+search a SWCversion that hadn't previously been surfaced for interactions on A360 Team.

Make sense?

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 11
gcarey

Automate the surfacing of the A360 models not just on a nightly basis, but make the manage A360 update to A360 in Revit an easier button to access. Currently it takes several clicks for this to happen.

Message 11 of 11
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: gcarey

@gcarey wrote:

Automate the surfacing of the A360 models not just on a nightly basis, but make the manage A360 update to A360 in Revit an easier button to access. Currently it takes several clicks for this to happen.

Good feedback, thanks.

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report