Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot synchronize with central

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
3315 Views, 7 Replies

Cannot synchronize with central

I am evaluating Revit over a Drive Mapping tool for a customer. After I collaborate and create a central copy in a folder in the drive mapping tool, when I synchronize with Central it works a few times..and then it fails. In the journal I see an entry (the whole journal is attached)

' 5:< SLOG $b78c786e 2017-03-22 19:19:36.905 .STC:RL:LockRoot RW SCODE=0x80004005
' 6:< SLOG $b78c786e 2017-03-22 19:19:36.915 .STC:RL:Error "Unspecified error "
'C 22-Mar-2017 19:19:36.925; 6:< Save exception "COleException", code=0x80004005: Unspecified error
'C 22-Mar-2017 19:19:36.925; 6:< COleServerDoc::ReportSaveLoadException
' 6:< TaskDialog "Failed to open document."
'CommonButtons : Close
'DefaultButton : Close
'H 22-Mar-2017 19:19:39.029; 6:<
Jrn.Data "TaskDialogResult" _
, "Failed to open document.", _
"Close", "IDCLOSE"

Whenever I see this error, I usually notice that there is a file in revit_temp folder . Not sure if it is related (The file in this case is called pulse-b78c786e.tmp and seems locked by revit) 

I don't know whether this is a problem with the drive mapping tool or revit. If you can please give more details on what the failure is and what file or operation is failing, I could take it up with the drive mapping tool to see if they can solve the issue.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
lars-ake.johansson
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

The S-drive in your case, is that a network drive or something that your "Drive Mapping tool" sets up?

Is this a directory/drive that is synced somewhere else?

It's hard to say exactly what is happening, but it looks like something is restricting access to the files that Revit needs for doing s SWC, either the .rvt, the 'Revit-temp'-directory and/or the '[model-name]_backup'-directory (and/or the files therein). (maybe something is locked while the tool is syncing....)

What kind of 'tool' is this how does it work?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Regards

Lars-Ake Johansson
Sr. SQA Engineer
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: lars-ake.johansson

Thanks a lot for the reply. Yes you are perfectly correct. s: it is a virtual network drive that uses callbacks to download and sync files on demand (uses https://www.eldos.com/cbfs/). The actual file is stored in the cloud. We haven't had problems with using other tools/editors on this network drive. 

Is there any ways to find out what exact file/folder revit is trying to access or trying to lock. Does "$b78c786e 2017-03-22 19:09:36.001 .STC:RL:LockRoot  RW SCODE=0x80004005" in the journal indicate anything? If not, is there a way to run revit in some mode where it could give more information.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 8
lars-ake.johansson

Hi,

I will do some more investigation and talk to some of out developers (and maybe try it for myself).

I have one question though:

The file that are synced on the S-drive - is that intended to be share by other users as well?

If not, try just using a non-workshared file.

If this file is intended to be used a Central for other users as well, there will probably be even more issue than just you trying to do a SWC.

There isn't really a way in the release version to get more information on what Revit is trying to do but you could try a tool like System Internals Process Monitor to monitor what the system (and Revit) is trying to do.

Regards

Lars-Ake Johansson
Sr. SQA Engineer
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks again for the quick and useful response. Yes,the file is intended for sharing with others. Through I am getting the issue even as a single user, after enabling worksharring and doing sync with central a few times. a So far sync seems to be the main issue.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried running procmon. But even if I filter it to only events by revit and only events for files in that folder...there are just too many events. Didn't notice anything that really stood out. But of course I don't know what to look for. I am attaching the procmon and revit journals. (This time the error seems slightly different in the journal). The error occurred around 6:26:55 yesterday

Message 6 of 8
lars-ake.johansson

Hi,

The error you got this time is because Revit consider the model on disk was rolled back to an earlier version than the one in memory so it doe not know what to do with the differences....

It might not even be related to the earlier problem.

Are you by any chance working with the same file from more that one system?

The correct workflow for accessing the file with multiple users is that everyone have their own local file and do the SWC from that. Check the box "Create New Local" in the Open dialog

Regards

Lars-Ake Johansson
Sr. SQA Engineer
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

You are right, It seems a completely different problem from last time. But all I did was open a sample revit file. Put it in workshare mode. Saved it in s: Then did Sync to Central a couple of times.

Will examine further with procmon to see if I see some consistent pattern of failure and get back. Thanks again.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks for your help. In all probability the issue seems to be with the drivemapping tool. If a file is changed many times and its size changed many times in a short amount of time (as revit synchronize seems to do), when the drivemapping tool is trying to upload the changes to remote location.

It would have been helpful if the revit logs were more explicit and indicated what file operation failed in what file. It will be a useful enhancement I think.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report