Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C4R Synchronize Behavior (Linked Models)

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mitch.condie
690 Views, 6 Replies

C4R Synchronize Behavior (Linked Models)

Can you point me to any documentation describing the C4R synchronize behavior specifically regarding linked models.  Do all linked cloud models reload upon synchronizing or is this a manual process through manage links (like Revit Server).  I thought all models reload when synchronizing (as it says in the sync dialog), but today I saw otherwise.

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

@mitch.condie wrote:

Can you point me to any documentation describing the C4R synchronize behavior specifically regarding linked models.  Do all linked cloud models reload upon synchronizing or is this a manual process through manage links (like Revit Server).  I thought all models reload when synchronizing (as it says in the sync dialog), but today I saw otherwise.

Thanks,

The behavior of cloud worksharing should be identical to that of Revit Server, or file-based worksharing for that matter.

The state of a linked model kept on the central model.  If you have locally loaded the same linked version as what's in central, then there's no reloading of links as part of the SWC operation.  If another team member reloads their link to a newer version -> SWC -> and you either Reload Latest or SWC (contains a RL operation at the start), then you'll carry out a reload of the link to match your other team member.

Make sense?

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply Kyle! That does make sense.  I do want to clarify. 

In your statement "If you have locally loaded the same linked version as what's in central, then there's no reloading of links as part of the SWC operation." leads me to believe that with a local file not on the same version of linked model, a SWC will update that model? Does the central keep up to date on its own?  This would be different than Revit Server because I know that an initial open, or a manual reload is the only way to get the latest version. 

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 7
mitch.condie
in reply to: mitch.condie

I think I answered my own question.  When a second local is created it will reload the new version.  So when the second local does a SWC, other locals will then get the updated version when they SWC.   

Message 5 of 7

@mitch.condie wrote:

I think I answered my own question.  When a second local is created it will reload the new version.  So when the second local does a SWC, other locals will then get the updated version when they SWC.   

That is exactly right.  If you are doing file-based worksharing, a new local is a binary-identical copy to the central, so you'll always load whatever version is loaded into Central.  If this is C4R, we always load the latest version of the link on Model Open, unless you happened to have locally saved changes that weren't submitted to the cloud.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 7
eviele
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

We're new to C4R so I could use some more clarification if you would.

We have a site model referenced into our building model and vice versa.

When opening our site model we noted that the building model was not the current model. In fact, it was several days old...

We didn't expect to see an older model.

What should we have done on opening our site model to see the latest building model? Just reload the building model? Why was it showing an older building model? Would publishing the building model have any effect?

Thanks in advance

Message 7 of 7

Hello Kyle,

We have a large C4R session with multiple models. Some of our team members are reporting that they are not seeing linked models updating unless those models are published. This runs contrary to the documentation I have read. Can you clarify if publishing is required for a model to register updates to a link within C4R?

Best

Ben

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report