Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C4R release date for the UK

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
mp_thompson
576 Views, 14 Replies

C4R release date for the UK

Is there a release date for C4R in the UK please?

I've been exploring A360 team and can see a multitude of benefits but it seems to me that to fully realise A360 team's potential, we would need C4R.

Am I correct in thinking that we need C4R in order to use communicator from within Revit i.e. our only option currently would be to have comments made on A360 open alongside revit in a seperate browser?

When I first trialled A360 team, I could use communictor from within Revit.

www.thompsonarchitecture.co.uk
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Our target is availability early next calendar year.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 15

Thank you Kyle. 

Any trials before then!?

www.thompsonarchitecture.co.uk
Message 4 of 15
MichaelRuehr
in reply to: mp_thompson

Kyle

Any plans for Australia?

We are waiting too

Message 5 of 15

We're targeting a similar timeframe Down Under.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 15
WM_Ron_Allen
in reply to: mp_thompson

<BUMP> C4R working great in the US! Been a Year and a few months since it was happening next year...

Why was it not implemented in 2016 in the UK>? When will UK and other-continental implementation happen?

Will we get inter-connectivity between the A360 clouds for Global communication?

AWS does have implementation in the UK... Seems it should be feasible to port it from one location to another.

Ron Allen
Ware Malcomb Bim
Message 7 of 15

@WM_Ron_Allen wrote:

<BUMP> C4R working great in the US! Been a Year and a few months since it was happening next year...

Why was it not implemented in 2016 in the UK>? When will UK and other-continental implementation happen?

Will we get inter-connectivity between the A360 clouds for Global communication?

AWS does have implementation in the UK... Seems it should be feasible to port it from one location to another.

Ron,

Thanks for asking.  I guess I missed updating this thread back in January 2016, when in fact we did make C4R available globally; sorry about that.  You can subscribe on our eStore, via your Autodesk reseller, or your Autodesk salesperson, depending on how your company transacts with us.  At this point we have C4R activity happening in 91 countries around the globe.

If there's specific questions you have around the global nature of the service, let us know.

Cheers,

Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 15

Hi Kyle

As the C4R service would be dependent on Latency and knowledge where the data is stored

Would our Data be stored at an Australian AWS Location and if so what would be the Maximum Latency 

for the C4R service to work reliably.

Message 9 of 15
mark.webb
in reply to: MichaelRuehr

Michael

To answer your question around latency, here is a snapshot of the median values for Element Borrow operations across the 3 major continents.

median_element_borrow.png

Message 10 of 15
mark.webb
in reply to: mark.webb

I just realized you wanted "Australia" : here is that metric too

median_eb.png

Message 11 of 15
WM_Ron_Allen

For S&G Value- is there a dashboard we can see on A360 or somewhere with these metrics?

Really pushing for C4R over the Projectwise hack for Revit files.

Ron Allen
Ware Malcomb Bim
Message 12 of 15
mark.webb
in reply to: WM_Ron_Allen

From outside the development team? Unfortunately not at this time.

It is something I ultimately want to be made available, but is not feasible with the tools we have while maintaining security and compliance.

Good question though.

Message 13 of 15
KyleB_Autodesk

While we don't have a public-facing dashboard at this point, as Mark mentions, we do have really good data that we capture to help monitor and steer development of the product.  Here's another good view of global performance at this point.C4R Median SWC Duration by GEO.png

Cheers,

Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 15

Thanks for the Graphs

I some way it confirms my worries as ANZ and Asia have problems with Latency

175-260ms are not the exception 

My question at what Latency will the C4R experience suffer

Frame, for instance, is really only useable under 50ms

Panzura works kind of OK below 75ms

Message 15 of 15

Michael,

While latency is indeed part of the equation of performance in C4R, it is not necessarily the primary factor for a good experience.  We've done a lot of optimization to reduce the sensitivity of latency on the experience, and Mark's data above illustrates that work, where we see median element borrow performance in ANZ region under 0.5s.  That doesn't mean it isn't a factor, but from our data it doesn't appear to be the primary factor.

What we see instead, is a greater sensitivity in performance to the throughput bandwidth of a machine to the cloud.  Since we use edge caching to get the data closer to global teams, in combination with pre-fetching of binary deltas via Revit Accelerator, in most high frequency scenarios (SWC and "hot cache" Model Open) the data needed by Revit to carry out a cloud worksharing operation are already on the machine running Revit.  That leaves the process of pushing new changes to the cloud as the main critical path operation where data transfer is the limiting factor.  What that boils down to is that 

When we profile the anonymous analytics payloads of long-running SWC operations in cloud worksharing, we find that the Reload Latest operation tends to be the main contributor of the overall operation duration.  In most cases, that's Revit carrying our model regeneration as it consumes the changes made by other teammates.  In other cases it's the fact that the project team isn't running Revit Accelerator, and the download of the binary deltas is part of the operation (bad).  While in other edge cases, it's the Reload Latest loop.

So in summary, we've made a lot of investment in C4R global performance, and the best things a team can do to ensure a great experience is have 1) a good broadband connection (machine able to ramp to 10mbps symmetrical), 2) make sure Revit Accelerator is running on all machines, 3) have the fastest CPU possible to handle the Model Regeneration that's part of the Reload Latest operation, and 4) exercise some coordination in how team members carry out SWC operations.

Cheers,
Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report