Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C4R: Point Clouds

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
allan.partridge
797 Views, 6 Replies

C4R: Point Clouds

Has anyone found a way to link point clouds with C4R?

Here is our challenge:  We have a small point cloud (32 gb) of the interior of a building that has the A, S, M & E working along with the Gc, mechanical, electrical, drywall and roofing trades (a fully incentivized IPD project) that are not within the same IP or LAN, are different firms, located in different cities, etc.  

We can create a A360 RVT file that is linkable and absolute in its mapping - the problem is where to host the *.rcs files?  Right now each team member needs to reload from the rcs files on their desktop - not good as that means we do not have a fidelity (source of truth) file to work from in construction (ideally this should be Navisworks with all the LOD 350/400 content loaded).  In addition, once the path is reloaded and a synch done the other team members lose their connectivity to the point cloud and are working in the dark.  One way is to load all the rcs files onto A360 drive, but I doubt we can afford the space - but it would at least stablize the mapping.  This needs to be solved as at least 60% of all our projects currently have scan data and i see within a year that being close to 90%.

Thoughts anyone?  Have I missed something simple? 

Also, as there is no Revit Collaboaration board for us "Skyscrapers" to gravitate towards could you simply preface any collaboration comments issues with C4R: That way I can watch for you all and jump in and/or post or reply. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Allan,

Are all users taking advantage of the "Root Path for Point Clouds" feature?  That should solve this issue for you.  Local location & ideally an SSD for RCS file storage + OS Temp folder is the best strategy for fast point cloud performance; Data I/O is the critical path.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 7

Thanks Kyle,

We have done as you have stated. As you can see with the image (Capture7) each team member requires the RCS files to be located in their LAN and the saved path changes every time we reload.  This results in a nice point cloud for one team member, but as soon as you sync the others loose the point clouds and get a "not found" error on the path. Even if we host We have to ensure that all 9 team members have the current point cloud data - 9 x 32Gb/  it should also be available on modbile devices (A360 Team) for viewing as we are using these on site with increasing frequency.

It would be better to have an absolute path that takes you to the one location so that we know there is only once source of truth when it comes top the point cloud data.  I believe this is going to be a major issue as we move forward to using increasing point cloud data.  

I would suggest you might consider the idea that the "External Resource" is opened up to allow for a variety of uploaded data.  From a business perspcective for Autodesk I would not worry about cost - I would be willing to pay for additional storage space if it meant all my required Revit ecoystem data is in in one location - RVT, RCS, ADSK, DWG, IFC, etc.  As I move in particular to true incentivized IPD having one location as source of "fidelity" to build from becomes increasingly more important.  

Cheers, Allan 

Message 4 of 7

@ALLAN wrote:

Thanks Kyle,

We have done as you have stated. As you can see with the image (Capture7) each team member requires the RCS files to be located in their LAN and the saved path changes every time we reload.  This results in a nice point cloud for one team member, but as soon as you sync the others loose the point clouds and get a "not found" error on the path. Even if we host We have to ensure that all 9 team members have the current point cloud data - 9 x 32Gb/  it should also be available on modbile devices (A360 Team) for viewing as we are using these on site with increasing frequency.

It would be better to have an absolute path that takes you to the one location so that we know there is only once source of truth when it comes top the point cloud data.  I believe this is going to be a major issue as we move forward to using increasing point cloud data.  

The Root Path for Point Clouds feature is designed to support exactly this situation.  I did a local test and it worked as-expected across multiple machines with Cloud Workshared models on C4R.  I cut a video illustrating this and attached it to this post.  Give it a watch.
@ALLAN wrote:

I would suggest you might consider the idea that the "External Resource" is opened up to allow for a variety of uploaded data.  From a business perspcective for Autodesk I would not worry about cost - I would be willing to pay for additional storage space if it meant all my required Revit ecoystem data is in in one location - RVT, RCS, ADSK, DWG, IFC, etc.  As I move in particular to true incentivized IPD having one location as source of "fidelity" to build from becomes increasingly more important.  

Cheers, Allan 

We share the vision for this end state; can't say much more than that here.

Cheers,

Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 7

Hi kyle,

Thanks.  This stabalizes the "loading/unloading" issue quite nicely, now if we can work on opening up the "external resources" to host one copy of the point cloud for all....;) 

For the interim we will each have a copy of the data and host it on an extrernal SSD and use the location opetion your presented so we don't clutter our server or c: drives.

Message 6 of 7

@ALLAN wrote:

Hi kyle,

Thanks.  This stabalizes the "loading/unloading" issue quite nicely, now if we can work on opening up the "external resources" to host one copy of the point cloud for all....;) 

For the interim we will each have a copy of the data and host it on an extrernal SSD and use the location opetion your presented so we don't clutter our server or c: drives.

Glad the pathing issue is resolved.

Short of a significant advance in network access speed or point cloud engine architecture, you should plan on providing each user a very fast local connection to the point cloud data itself.  Operations involving point clouds are simply too dependent on disk I/O for any other option to deliver the best performance experience.

I know it's a complexity, and I hear your desire for a single place of truth, but the degradation in performance you'll get in the pursuit of the single source of truth is not worth it, in my experience.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 7
OhEddieO
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

Is there a way to collaborate point cloud files using AutoCAD 2017?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report