Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C4R - Increased file size the longer the file is in the cloud

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Fred.Ortiz
671 Views, 6 Replies

C4R - Increased file size the longer the file is in the cloud

One of my valued customers (Matt Ivers from MVE & Partners) sent this email to me the other day and I wanted to share his pain with other A360 C4R users who may be experiencing the same issue. Thankfully, Autodesk was able to address this issue and is already looking into improving the software with updates coming out in the near future.

We have been experiencing some file size issues with the Park Place III project that we need to get your feedback on. The architectural file size last Friday was around 700 mb when it should only be around 350 mb or so. The team was experiencing very long sync times (about 30 min or more) that were unacceptable. Especially since this has happened more than once and it is relatively small in comparison to some of our other project we recently launched using A360 C4R.

Yesterday, I was able to take it off the cloud, reinitiate it back onto A360, and that reduced it back down to 350 mb and it opens/syncs in about 2-3 mins or so which is pretty good. However, I think that the file size has more to do with the engineering behind C4R/A360 and not the project itself, because it seems like the longer it stays on the cloud, the larger it gets over time and we are not really adding any families that would increase the file size dramatically at this point.

Here is a list of possible causes, but I'm not exactly sure what is the main cause:

1. The longer the file is on the cloud from its initial launch on A360, the more users are in the file & more syncs to central, which is logged into the file and by doing that, it is storing all of that data in the project file, which causes it to grow over time (that would seem to explain why the file size is reduced by 50% when I take it off the cloud)
  2. Consultant Revit links being opened when syncing/ opening the file (Yesterday, I initiated the project so that the “specify workset” dialog box opens by default when opening the file so our team can select which worksets need to be open/closed (placing each consultant Revit file on it’s own workset) which helps a lot. Not sure if this is what was causing the problem though.
  3. Families that could be memory intensive (this is possible, but why does it keep growing over time when the same families have been there for quite a while now)
  4. No option to compact file when syncing to central (this really needs to be addressed by Autodesk) because we do this a lot on our large projects and it really helps keep the file size down 

Could you please let us know what we can do to help you troubleshoot this and what your thoughts are on what may be causing this?  

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: Fred.Ortiz

Fred,

Thanks for posting this up on the forums so other can benefit from the information.

Nice investigation on this topic.  You have identified an area for improvement, which we happen to already be looking into at this very moment within the product team.

What you are seeing is the end result of long life of a model on the C4R service, and specifically what happens when the Central Model is not replaced from time-to-time.  We are working to optimize the C4R service to remove the growth you are seeing over time, as well re-introduce the “Compact Central Model” option in the event unwanted growth still occurs.

Our target for this work is delivered across two updates to the service.  The first is scheduled for late August, while the second is late September.

If you really want to geek out on exactly what’s happening here, I can provide more detail, but the bottom line is that 1) you and the team aren’t doing anything wrong 2) you’ve identified the best – albeit not simple – mitigation approach to bring the model local and re-introduce it back to the service.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 7
agearey
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

Kyle,

I have a project that we have only been using C4R/A360 on for about a month that started out as a 385 MB file when C4R was first initiated; on August 19th the file was about 412 MB which seems reasonable but on August 21st the file size balloned up to 715 MB which definitely seems to be way too large given the amount of work that was done on the project in a two day span. so in this particular case I wouldn't consider a month to be a long life on C4R/A360.  Do you have any other ideas why the file size has increase so much?

What is Autodesk's recommended procedure for replacing the central file and how often should it be done?

Do you know which update will include adding the "Compact Central Model" into C4R?  Any additional information on what will be included in the August update or the September? 

Thanks,

Adam

Message 4 of 7
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: agearey

Adam,

From face value, that doesn't sound like typical behavior, but it's really impossible to tell from your description,  There are plenty of actions in a model, which are within the normal operation of Revit, that can significantly increase the model size.  Importing lots of DWGs, loading large Families with mesh geometry, etc.  So, we'd ideally need to have a version of the before and after state of the model to analyze the "delta".

We have gone pretty deep on another reported instance of this behavior, and thus far our investigation points to existing Revit behavior as the culprit, as opposed to something with the Cloud Worksharing functionality delivered in C4R.  In that case, signs are pointing to some Revit optimizations that may be needed related to very large & complex nested Families.

As I mentioned previously in the thread, we are working to implement the "Compact Central Model" command for C4R models.  If all goes well, this will be possible in our mid-September update.  As always, no gaurantees, but this is our current plan.

In the interim, the workflow to bring a model local -> compact -> back up to the cloud, is the best option.  I'd also want to highlight that requiring a team to replace a model at any regular cadence is definitely not a practice that we on the product team want to introduce into the best practices of C4R adopters.  We are focused on eradicating the small numberof scenarios where this may be beneficial.  You guys want to get your work done, not replace models.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 7

Kyle,

What is the best way to bring a model back in to the cloud once it has been taken local? Should this be done by uploading through 'Collaborate on A360'? You cant 'save as to A360, so there is no way to 'replace' the model.

How does this updating process work? What is the best way to do this?

Message 6 of 7
jyau
in reply to: sean.farrell

From my experience, you have to delete the old model first before you can upload the current model and all your consultants will have to "reload from" the model and readjust any linked model workset settings. This will kill all the a360 backups, but those are of limited practical use anyway.
Message 7 of 7
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: jyau

@jyau wrote:
From my experience, you have to delete the old model first before you can upload the current model and all your consultants will have to "reload from" the model and readjust any linked model workset settings. This will kill all the a360 backups, but those are of limited practical use anyway.

What he said.  Also note that with the latest C4R update, you can also locally link to your consultants' models.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report