Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C4R feedback : Broken : Updating Linked Referenced Models

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
john.kaul
430 Views, 5 Replies

C4R feedback : Broken : Updating Linked Referenced Models

The bottom of my screen asked for my feed back so here it is: The number one problem with a360 C4R is that I can't upload/update a refernced model or link to a model outside of a360. That makes this service useless to me, my team, and everyone else.

I understand that you (Autodesk) wants everyone on this service but I don't see that ever happening; companies are far too concerned about backups and record keeping.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: john.kaul

@john.kaul wrote:

The bottom of my screen asked for my feed back so here it is: The number one problem with a360 C4R is that I can't upload/update a refernced model or link to a model outside of a360. That makes this service useless to me, my team, and everyone else.

I understand that you (Autodesk) wants everyone on this service but I don't see that ever happening; companies are far too concerned about backups and record keeping.

The service is currently designed for all disciplines to be Cloud Workshared and live linked together in the same A360 Project, yes.  If that's not the case - totally understand why that might be - then there's a workflow to "dead link" to models from other disciplines:

1. Get milestone model(s) from other disciplines.
  2. Onboard those models into the A360 project
  3. Link into your Host(s).
  4. Get new milestone model.
  5. Delete old milestone model.
  6. Onboard new milestone model.
  7. Re-link.
  8. Repeat as necessary.

There's room for improvement here, and we know that, so expect this workflow to be a bit simpler over time.  If it's too onerous for your project team, then the C4R service, in it's current capability set, may not be appropriate for the project.  Our current target project sceneario is multi-discipline teams working together on the service.  That target is likely to expand as the service evolves.

Would love your feedback on this if you want to offer it up.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 6
john.kaul
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

@KyleB_Autodesk wrote:

The service is currently designed for all disciplines to be Cloud Workshared and live linked together in the same A360 Project, yes.  If that's not the case - totally understand why that might be - then there's a workflow to "dead link" to models from other disciplines:

1. Get milestone model(s) from other disciplines.
  2. Onboard those models into the A360 project
  3. Link into your Host(s).
  4. Get new milestone model.
  5. Delete old milestone model.
  6. Onboard new milestone model.
  7. Re-link.
  8. Repeat as necessary.

There's room for improvement here, and we know that, so expect this workflow to be a bit simpler over time.  If it's too onerous for your project team, then the C4R service, in it's current capability set, may not be appropriate for the project.  Our current target project sceneario is multi-discipline teams working together on the service.  That target is likely to expand as the service evolves.

Would love your feedback on this if you want to offer it up.

-Kyle

Hello Kyle,
Thanks for trying to address my comment. I gleaned that workflow already and that will absolutely not work at all (hence my comment); not everyone on the project can and will be on the cloud. For those team members who are not, I do not want to have to redo the Visibility Graphics for their link. ...I do not see any other ways other than to allow me to link outside the cloud or give me the ability to link to a non-workshared model in the cloud.

Also please, add your above comment to the documentation about/for this service. I'm sorry but I do not see any valid reason why the documentation is so horrible (make them from you spec if need be...anything). Autodesk has always been given a bad wrap for it's bad documentation but this is ridiculous. Besides, any good cad/bim manager will go immediately to the docs before making any decision or evaluation (documentation is a sales tool). ...Im sorry if that statement comes off as a bit harsh but I honestly don't understand why the docs are so light/bad; we purchased two seats for a quick evaluation in the *HOPES* this would work for our situation (wasted our time and money on something that could have been avoided with a simple thing like docs).

Message 4 of 6

Is there a way to completely delete old milestone model, and replace that with new milestone model with same name? I deleted old model from website, but when I try to save the new model with same name on cloud, I get a message that file with same name is already existing. Any thoughts???

Shreyansh
Message 5 of 6

Yes, you can delete the cloud workshared models themselves from the Manage A360 Models dialog in Revit.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 6
johnwAF3KS
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

So why not have a workflow that allows us to update the version currently loaded on C4R? Why can't I just overwrite the previous model? It seems to track versions but there doesn't seem to be a way to actually update them?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report