Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C4R feedback : Broken : Backup method

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
john.kaul
316 Views, 2 Replies

C4R feedback : Broken : Backup method

The local cache on my PC is useless for backups/records. Making me check boxes and download copies is archaic at best. Putting 30 seconds of thought into a better method that will allow me a simpler method for backups; why don't you (a360.c4r) make a "good" revit file and place it in my a360 drive so it get's synced to my PC (and allow people the opportunity to choose what gets synced to their PCs). At least this idea would allow me to use rsync to sync to a network folder/dir on a regular basis.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: john.kaul

@john.kaul wrote:

The local cache on my PC is useless for backups/records. Making me check boxes and download copies is archaic at best. Putting 30 seconds of thought into a better method that will allow me a simpler method for backups; why don't you (a360.c4r) make a "good" revit file and place it in my a360 drive so it get's synced to my PC (and allow people the opportunity to choose what gets synced to their PCs). At least this idea would allow me to use rsync to sync to a network folder/dir on a regular basis.

The local cache is designed to be useless for backups.  The serivce is already keeping backups in the cloud for every SWC, so nothing is really lost.  You also can publish to A360 and then download a zip of the Host + Links.

Can you help me better understand what goal you are trying to accomplish with the detached RVTs?  That will get this discussion going in the right direction.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 3
john.kaul
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

@KyleB_Autodesk wrote:

The local cache is designed to be useless for backups.  The serivce is already keeping backups in the cloud for every SWC, so nothing is really lost.  You also can publish to A360 and then download a zip of the Host + Links.

Can you help me better understand what goal you are trying to accomplish with the detached RVTs?  That will get this discussion going in the right direction.

-Kyle

Hello Kyle,
Thanks for trying to address my comment. I fully understand how backups could be done in the cloud (revision history) but I am talking about good old fashioned "tape archives"; most firms/IT have that rule about making and keeping backups of all the project information. I can/will not have `backups' being spread out into two different places [-i.e. `tape backup' for all project information except construction document models.]. I'm sorry, but I'll just get goofy looks if I say that our records will be split up like that. I need a way to get something on the network for when the `tape' starts spining (something a little more automated or reliable).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report