Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Roof Design

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
geth3
3230 Views, 6 Replies

Revit Roof Design

Hello,

I'm designing an eco efficent house for my A-Level Design and Technology project, I'm trying to design the roof you can see in my sketch attatchment (I hope it's clear enough) but I can't insert the column on the front coming down from the roof. If anyone can tell me how it can be done, it doesn't need to be perfect, the model is only used for visual purposes so the column doesn't have to be structural o'r anything. The column is curved coming from the roof and gets narrower towards the bottom.

I've tried sketching a component (model in place) in Revit but can't seem to get the model lines in the right plane, I've attatched a picture of the Revit model where I need the column (the back wall is also part of the roof).

I'd be greatfull for any help! Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
kfielding
in reply to: geth3

Effectively what I think you are trying to achieve is the roof continuing down to the floor to support itself.

I would suggest using a mass, or in-place mass to make the roof shape, and use Roof by Face tool to form the room.  I think creating the mass shape like the roof would be the most difficult part. 

Although I've attached my attempt.  It took me about 20 minutes.

The mass was created with a series of voids at different angles.

Good luck with your project.

K

Kevin Fielding
BIM Manager, AEW Architects
Manchester, UK

If my post solves your issue, please accept this as a solution and give me a thumbs up!
Message 3 of 7
geth3
in reply to: kfielding

Hello,

Thanks for taking your time to help. Your solution is perfect! I'm so close to completing the roof but for some reason it doesn't let me make (model by face) the curved part of the mass into the roof, only the top and back. Also for some reason I can only use "Faces at bottom of the roof" in the properties bar to make a roof out of the back part even though It worked the first time I did it. How did you model the curved face to make it into the roof? It lets me make it into a wall but not a roof.

To get the void for the curve I had two curved lines on both walls then offset those so they went beyond the mass.

I've attatched print screens of the roof not working and how the curve is with a wall.

Thanks once again.

Message 4 of 7
kfielding
in reply to: geth3

Attached is the mass for you to look at.  I've deconstructed it in staged so you can see how it was constructed.  

Also, I used splines instead of arcs, as they allow more control of the curves.

K

Kevin Fielding
BIM Manager, AEW Architects
Manchester, UK

If my post solves your issue, please accept this as a solution and give me a thumbs up!
Message 5 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

Why did the roof become flat? Wasn't the roof curve on the top, in the sketch?

Here's a different solution:

1-29-2013 11-32-13 AM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 7
geth3

I see how you did it now! I was doing it differently but it works perfectly now. 

Thank you for your help.

Message 7 of 7
geth3
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Yes the roof is still curved but the print screen was just a quick model I made. Thanks for your solution aswell!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report