Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit content installation problems

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
Tony_Michniewicz
27614 Views, 27 Replies

Revit content installation problems

Over the past year, there have been a number of posts related to Revit content installation problems.  Previously, we identified problems with the Autodesk Design Academy and the Autodesk Education Master Suite that would cause this problem.  These issues have been addressed and should no longer be an issue.

Recently, we identified another scenario in which this issue is reproducible with network deployments of both the Premium and Ultimate versions of Building Design Suite 2015 and 2016.  Specifically, BDS 2015 or 2016 deployment images that include Revit and Revit Content Libraries but none of the products that include the Revit Core Engine (Navisworks Simulate, 3ds Max and Showcase in Premium and Navisworks Manage, 3ds Max, Showcase and Inventor in Ultimate) will fail to install Revit content files.  This problem stems from two files, master.rvt.xml and master.xsd, that are missing from the Img\Content\Revit folder. This particular issue can be resolved by copying the missing files from the installation media (located under Content\Revit) to the Img\Content\Revit folder.

However, there are additional reports that are not covered by this scenario and I'm starting this new post to focus our troubleshooting efforts.  For those individuals that have, or continue to, encountered this problem, it would be very helpful if you could answer each of the following questions:

1. What is the operating system of the machine on which this problem occurs?
  2. Are there any other Autodesk products installed on this system?  If so, which Autodesk products?
  3. Is Revit being installed from physical media (DVD or USB), web installer, download manager, or browser download?  Also, are you installing Revit from an Autodesk suite and if so, which suite?
  4. Does a master.rvt.xml files exists in your <INSTALLATION_MEDIA>\Content\Revit folder?  Please note that the three letter designation between master and xml is derived from the version of Revit you are installing.  As an example, master.rst.xml would be the file name for Revit Structure installations.
  5. Which content packs are you selecting for installation?  To answer this question, expand the Revit Content Libraries product entry on the Configure Installation page.
  6. During the Revit installation, did you receive a Windows Security Alert related to the Akamai NetSession Client?  If so, did you select the Allow Access or Cancel option?
  7. Are you able to download the cab file from this link: http://revit.downloads.autodesk.com/download/2016RVT_RTM/Content/Revit/en/RVT-en-US- i/tmplt.cab?

Additionally, here are some suggestions that may help to ensure the successful installation of Revit content:

1. Prior to running the Revit installer, install all available Windows updates.
  2. Use the Autodesk Download Manager to acquire the Revit installation media.  This version of the Revit installer contains the Revit content files, which eliminates the need to download these files during the installation process.
  3. On the Configure Installation page, make sure the Revit Content Libraries product entry enabled.  Also, expand the Revit Content Libraries product entry and make sure that at least one content pack is selected.
  4. Run the Revit installation again and if content is still not installed, gather and post the following log files from the Windows temp folder: Autodesk Revit Content Libraries 201X Install.log and cp_install.log.

Hopefully we can gather enough information to identify why many of you have encountered this problem and then produce a solution.
Tony Michniewicz
Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Revit Software QA Analyst
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

The solution is to send a usb drive with the stuff on it!!!!!!!!!!!

But......

1. Windows 7

2. BDS 2013 through BDS 2016

3. All of the above, USB is the only one that worked, then we just copy the Contents to each computer

4. Yes

5. Tried everything from just Revit to all of them available on BDS. Once we get a successful content library (via usb for 2015) we uncheck content library for every other install.

6. No, did not get that alert

7.  that link give me the following:    File not found."

FYI, due to a crippling bug with AutoCAD 2016, we have only installed BDS 2016 on two computers, so far so good. But I would guess that when we start installing on the other 25 seats, we will have issues.

Thanks

Message 3 of 28

I apologize.  The link in my original post is incorrect.  Here is the correct link:

http://revit.downloads.autodesk.com/download/2016RVT_RTM/Content/Revit/en/RVT-en-US-i/tmplt.cab

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Revit Software QA Analyst
Message 4 of 28

yep, it downloaded just fine.

Message 5 of 28

1. Windows 7 x64

2. BDS ultimate 2013-2015

3. USB (autodesk building design suite ultimate 2015)

4. WHat is this magical full file path?????????????????????????

5. Installed most things. Everything reveit related.

6. Did not receive this alert.

7. Yes, able to download file.

Additional info:

8. I am receiving the popup error: Default Family Template Path invalid upon opening Revit 2015.

9. When running the install again, the program says Revit Content Libraries is already installed, but under control panel --> add/remove programs, it does not exist to be removed/repaired.

10. I have browsed around looking for other locations the files would have been dumped, per one of the other forums, but am unable to locate. See attached image for RVT 2015 folder contents.

Message 6 of 28

1. Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
  2. Many.  See attached screen shot.
  3. For the 2016 version I installed the Trial version as a browser download.
  4. Yes.  "C:\Autodesk\WI\Autodesk Revit 2016\Content\Revit\master.rvt.xml"
  5. I remember selecting Imperial and Metric.  Does that answer?
  6. No.
  7. yes.

James LeVieux

Message 7 of 28

I just discovered at least one "new" feature that came out in 2015 did not install correctly.  The search feature failed to install, see link for the feature outline:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU...

Could this "download install" problem be responsible?

Message 8 of 28

What di i do after downloading the tmplt.cab file??

Im running Windows 8.1  Pro and intstalled Revit 2016 by donlaoding it from your website

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: Tony_Michniewicz

Hello,

Here are the answer to the questions

1-Windows 8

2-No 

3-Download manager. I've tried both with Revit 2016 and Building design suite ultimate 2016, both sutdent version

4-yes

5- all english for europe, italian french, german, spanish

6-no

7-no. file not found

8- there is no  Autodesk Revit Content Libraries 2016 files in the Windows temp folder. 

Please let me know how to fix this. In other forums, I found tips about fixing the problem when content libraries appear in Control Panel program list

In  my case content libraries does NOT appear.

Message 10 of 28
Anonymous

1.  Windows 7

2.  AutoCad and Revit versions 2011, 2012, 2014

3.  Building Ultimate Design Suite

4.  master.xsd

5.  don't know

6.  don't remember

7.  yes and what do I do with it

In my Revit Content 2016/Content Packs, there are files, but when I try to load a family it says that my Imperial file is empty.  I'm guessing the only file in there should be the en file

Where do the files go that I downloaded in #7 above?

Argh!

Message 11 of 28
Anonymous

1. Windows 7
  2. Nearly everything from Building design suite ultimate 2015. I think the only one missing is Robot Structural.
  3. Downloaded building design suite ultimate 2016, created a deployment of only Revit.
  4. Yes, the file exists.
  5. Imperial, and Metric.
  6. No warnings
  7. Yes, but now what do I do with it?
Message 12 of 28

This issue still persists in the downloaded files for network deployments for 2016, however your solution regarding:

"This problem stems from two files, master.rvt.xml and master.xsd, that are missing from the Img\Content\Revit folder."

...was the issue in my case.  Copying/pasting from the installation files into my image location as indicated in your solution resolved the problem.  However, I did need to:

1) Uninstall the original deployed version (a repair install does not work) - for both Revit 2016 and Revit Content 2016

2) Reboot to refresh the system registry

3) Reinstall in order to get the fix to work.

Message 13 of 28
Anonymous

Dear Sir,

Everyone talks about same issue, however you are giving wrong answer to them.

The issue : Revit 2016 Content Library was removed accidentally from add/remove panel.

After reinstalling Revit 2016, Setup page is coming with check for Revit Content Library although it is not in the Add/Remove Panel.

If you want to solve our problem first you should understand what our problem is. That is why, please remove your Revit 2016 Content Library from your add/remove panel. Then install it again. If you can install it from beginning, then come here and write your solution. I registered as Student. And everytime I want to install my Revit 2016 Content Library, it says that you already have it. But it is not in my computer, in my C:, in my add/remove panel. Where does the system see my Revit 2016 Library from and the checked like it was here.

Regars...

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous

I cant find this location:Img\Content\Revit, to paste the master files. Where is this location with in the autodesk package. I am using the 2016 student version.

Message 15 of 28
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you created or used a network deployment, from which you installed Revit?  The Img folder is a subfolder under the folder in which the shortcut to run the deployment was placed.  (This is the folder specified as the deployment location, when creating the deployment.)

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I dont think so, im not sure what a network deployment is.
Message 17 of 28
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Anonymous

You most likely installed the program directly on your computer, in which case this thread does not apply to you.  I thought there might be some possibility that you were using a network deployment that was made available through your school.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 18 of 28
Anonymous

it's not woking.

Message 19 of 28

Copying those 2 files into the correct folder as you suggested worked.

I'm using the Building Design Suite Premium 2016.

When I created the first network deployment there were no options as far as Imperial or Metric content so when I created the first one and did an install test no content was installed on that computer.

I then did what you instructed and copied those 2 files into the correct folder, I then ran the modify network deployment, then the deployment displayed Imperial or Metric content and I selected Imperial and then updated the network deployment. I then tested this install and this time it did install all the Revit content correctly for Revit 2016.

Thanks for your post.

Brent Morris

Message 20 of 28

1. Windows 8.1 Pro
  2. Not yet
  3. browser download
  4. US Metric & Generic International content
  5. No,
  6. Yes, i already download. What i have to do with it?

im installing for first time revit architecture 2015, and appears " the media does not contain content and will be downloaded"on content libraries . This is DURING installation, i try with revit 2014, 2016 and it's the same. i wonder if there's some way to download the content libraries and add to the folders from the Local disc C?

Now, its ending the installation, so i can't answer the cuestion number four.
J.A.  Pleaaaase help! I've been trying, and trying. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report