Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Further Unit Conversion Bug in Schedules

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
IMCornish
785 Views, 6 Replies

Further Unit Conversion Bug in Schedules

I have an issue with the scheduling of areas in a Room Schedule where I have the project units set to square metres and, for my bretheren still using Imperial Units, a conversion of Room areas set to Square Feet.  Unfortunately the conversion is incorrect!  See below

Schedule Areas.JPG

9.0 Square Metres should be 96.9 square feet, 1.7 square metres should be 18.3 square feet and 33.9 square metres should be only 364.9!

I don't see where I may have gone wrong since Schedule Properties and Format are set correctly, see below;

Schedule Areas1.JPG

I am using Revit 2016, Build: 16.0.1092.0  20151209_0715(x64) Update1 for R2.

Any ideas please?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
s.koulis
in reply to: IMCornish

Hi Andrew,

I have the same version / update but the areas come out fine.

001.PNG

How is the Area Sq.Ft calculated in the schedule, is there any formula involved?

Have you tried including alternate units on the Room Tags in case there is an issue with calcuating these in the schedule?

Message 3 of 7
IMCornish
in reply to: s.koulis

Thanks for the interest but I am no further forward.  Herewith a further screen shot showing small schedule together with the Schedule Properties dialog and the Calculated Value dialog showing the field 'Area Sq. Ft' formula as being 10.7639 times the Area (Note Area column heading is overridden in the schedule to Sq. M) and since the Project Units setting for 'Area' is square metres and the correct conversion to square feet is 10.7639 I can't understand why I getting such a ridiculous figures for square feet?

Schedule Areas2.JPG

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 4 of 7
IMCornish

Update. Solved!

I found that in other projects this did not happen and subsequently compared all the stages of creating the 'Sq. Ft' field.  Subsequently I found that whilst it is possible to put a calculated field, as I had done, creating the formula, Area * 10.7639, into the 'Calculated Value' dialog I had also, on the 'Formatting' tab of the 'Schedule Properties' dialog set the field units to non-projects and to Sq. Ft thus multiplying the original metric value by 10.7639 squared!

On reflection I think that the correct procedure would have been to leave the calculated field formula as being just Area and formatted it to square feet. Can't decide if this was an understandable mistake or just stupidity on my behalf? 

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 5 of 7
s.koulis

Leaving the Area untouched in the calculated value is what I always do:

01.png

And then just change the field format 

02.png

Message 6 of 7
IMCornish
in reply to: s.koulis

Just so, I believe that is the way I will do it from now on!  Like the red arrows in your illustrations by the way!

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 7 of 7
s.koulis

I haven't had any issues with this process. The arrows come from Skitch ( http://evernote.com/skitch/ ) it is free and extremely useful 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report