Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worksharing in Revit - what is best practice?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
AidanHawkins
253 Views, 2 Replies

Worksharing in Revit - what is best practice?

Hi there, I am in Europe and working with a team from a different european country on a collaborative model.

I have set up a collaborative model on a cloud based server, which is saved to a folder which both parties know.

The team in the other country have copied a local file and they sync with central each day. 

It seams to be working fine but am i doing something wrong?

For instance there is Collaborate pro etc. that would probably be better? Not sure

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
L.Maas
in reply to: AidanHawkins

Better is a relative term. You say it seems to work. So if you take the required precautions (backups etc) you should be ok.

However platforms like Autodesk Collaborate are dedicated to working together and offer additional tools (and possibly security). It depends on your needs and if these tools offer enough benefits to you. These tools have a price tag of course. If this gives enough ROI depends on your needs/workflow..

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 3

I had a limited experience  with WAN worksharing wile working from home with other team members. 

I had to choose a way to worksharing in WAN.

There were two solutions:

1. to make a server dedicated to host the Central File ( as you are doing now) -That needs special hardware and operation system plus a free Revit Server software (provided by Autodesk)
  2. or to use Autodesk Cloud with Autodesk Collaborate PRO software 

For 1. you'll need a initial investment in hardware and operation software . From what I know you'll need also all sort of accelerators so to be effective,,, Many collaborators prefer this because they do not trust in public cloud and so they extend their mistrust to Autodesk Cloud too.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-4DE9A327-583E-40DA-81EB-1150D60E6887

For 2.  you'll need to buy a separate license wile  AEC Collections contains only DOCS

What is good in this option is that it contains BIM 360 DOCS and  you'll have also Autodesk Desktop Connector 's facilities. I've chose  this solution and I was pleased. It worked without problems and with no disconnections...

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators