Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are the Hatch Patterns of the Fill Pattern dialog stored?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
octavio2
10233 Views, 6 Replies

Where are the Hatch Patterns of the Fill Pattern dialog stored?

I will be dealing with the Hath Patterns of the "Fill Pattern" dialog in the next few days, which does not has at this moment the "Offset" pattern as I describe below.

I see in the Fill Pattern dialog the crosshatch pattern, but I want to create a crosshatch which resembles 1/2 offset like the ones used in masonry and tiling.

Where are these patterns stored for Revit 2021?  (When I look for Hatch Pattern (*.pat) I go to the website, so that does not tell me where these are stored in the computer).

Also, any hint on how to create a new one?  (I assume that if I find where these are stored, then it will be straightforward to modify one to create the new one).

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
martijn_pater
in reply to: octavio2

They are not stored on the computer. You can write your own .pat pattern to load or use an add-in such as PyRevit to create your own patterns and/or export as .pat aswell.

Message 3 of 7
octavio2
in reply to: martijn_pater

Any idea on how to quickly add that hatch pattern of "Offset" with lines to the Fill Pattern dialog so it could be used right away?

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 7
JasonKunkel

You can also convert ACAD PAT files to Revit PAT, if you have ACAD installed.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/simplecontent/content/how-t...

This was a pretty nice workflow for a bunch of them at once. I have not tested but it looks solid. Obviously don't do this in your actual project, but clean it up and then move the ones you want to your project.

Jason Kunkel
Senior Practice Manager, Architecture and Engineering
CADD Microsystems Blog
RVIT Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
Message 5 of 7
martijn_pater

Using PyRevit add-in you can draw your own hatch in a view and it converts it to a drafting or model pattern. So you just draw it within Revit. There are several of these add-ins ie hatchkit or pattycake (online). However you could also do something similar using an autocad LISP routine and loading the resulting .pat file, or write them straight from texteditor. The latter somehow considered acceptable by the 'development' team, hence proudly presented on a knowledge page...

Message 6 of 7
hugha

You asked: 

>Where are these patterns stored for Revit 2021?  (When I look for Hatch Pattern (*.pat) I go to the website, so that does not tell me where these are stored in the computer). Also, any hint on how to create a new one?  (I assume that if I find where these are stored, then it will be straightforward to modify one to create the new one).

Search your machine for "Revit*.pat". 

Revit installs files revit.pat and revit metric.pat containing example custom fill patterns and instructions which may directly answer your questions.

Here is an excerpt:

;;; Worked example

;%UNITS=INCH

;%VERSION=3.0
*Block 8x16, 8 x 16 blocks running bond
;%TYPE=MODEL
0, 0, 0, 0, 8
90, 0, 0, 8, 8, 8, -8

; This pattern is called "Block 8x16"; you will see this name when you import it into Revit. It is
; a model pattern. It has two families of lines. The first family creates the horizontal coursing:
;
; angle = 0 => lines are horizontal
; x,y-origin = 0,0
; shift = 0 => line pattern is not shifted
; offset = 8 => consecutive lines are 8 model inches apart
; no line pattern => the line is solid.
;
; The second family creates the vertical joints:
;
; angle = 90 => lines are vertical
; x,y-origin = 0,0 => the pattern begins at the same point as the horizontals
; shift = 8 => line pattern is is shifted by 8 model inches for consecutive lines
; offset = 8 => consecutive lines are 8 model inches apart
; dash = 8 => each line is built of 8" dashes and 8" spaces
; space = 8 => this pattern repeats until the face boundary
;
; The shift makes the vertical segments appear between alternating pairs of horizontal lines,
; which appears as 16 inch bricks in interlocking bond.

Understanding this text format allows preparation of the simpler fill patterns involving orthogonal elements without recourse to further third party resources (such as those already mentioned or our HatchKit) which aid constructing patterns involving lines at arbitrary angles. 

hth,

Hugh Adamson

www.hatchkit.com.au

Message 7 of 7
martijn_pater

I'm not entirely sure if this is the answer to the question 'Where are the "Hatch Patterns of the Fill Pattern dialog stored?", however it answers "where are the (standard) Patterns in the Fill Pattern dialog imported from?" . As far as I know once imported it is stored within the project file itself, could be wrong though...^^

FWIW note the ;%TYPE=MODEL in a .pat file for model pattern definition in Revit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report